Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend—April 10-12, 2020 >

Virtual quilting weekend—April 10-12, 2020

Virtual quilting weekend—April 10-12, 2020

Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 AM

I’m starting another Urbanologie quilt since I figured out the cutting with the curvy ruler. This time I’m using grays and black prints with colored backgrounds. I need to post a photo of the other top I put together using the same pattern.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Ice- I like your star blocks with the softer gold background. either way, it will make a wonderful quilt!

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Today I'll be working on the Bunny Star project. I'd just call it the "Easter Quilt" but I'm hoping it might go to my grandson next year (he'll be 18 months next time). Son's household doesn't celebrate Easter but I can probably slip in some bunnies... or maybe it will just be for donation, doesn't really matter in this case.

Today I am debating the merits between bright white or other alternatives for the solid squares/triangles of the Lemoyne Star block. Here I have it shown with a bright white on white floral and an gold/beige off tone on tone floral. I also have some very pale solids in a couple of colors to consider. There will be the 12 bunny blocks in a diagonal grid, 3 across and 4 down. There are only 6 stars which will all be in the middle. I have enough scraps to make all 6 blocks identical, but I think I'm going to use the majority of the same fabrics in most of them, and maybe swap out the green or purple sets for blue in some of the blocks.

Also debating on how to make the star block. i could cut off the corners and fill them in with colored triangles so they meet the bunny snowball blocks and form QST units, but I think I'm going to use that square of background in the setting triangles and want to keep it square for now. I can either set-in the square in the traditional method, or do it the quick diagonal seam method.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 AM

Default virtual quilting

Are we doing this on skype or something or do we just post things we're doing?
Old 04-11-2020, 12:54 PM

Hey, quiltswithdogs, welcome to the thread. Mostly it's just post things we are doing. Raggiemom keeps track of the dates and opens up this thread for us to join in/share, just visit. No requirements but we (I know it's not just me) love photos.

As I was auditioning fabric for the background of the star blocks, I came across a shiny blue "thread weave" pattern that's mostly a bit of shine and not metallic. It's what I call a subtle fabric, hard to tell which is the right side. But with the recent Bonnie Hunter project I learned quite a lot about working with subtle fabrics when I had hand dyes that it turned out it did matter to me which side was up/down.

First thing, don't fold the fabric when you cut it. Stack it right side up in layers and then secure so you know which way is up. Don't be afraid to mark the back of the fabric! Just a tick in the corner can be enough to see.

In this case I made one of my tools because I'm going to do the blocks in the traditional set-in method -- at least I'm starting that way! I already use a "quilter's foot" as my machine default, it is designed so that both left right and back have quarter inch sides and the front is clearly marked. That helps a lot, but I've found that I do better by starting at my dot instead of sewing to it and I can have problems starting in the right spot, so I've marked the corner 1/4 seam allowances. Used to be able to just use a dot but with my vision issues this cut out works well. I just grabbed a piece of cardboard out of recycling and used my craft blade to cut the 3" square I needed, then trimmed out the corners. You can also leave your outer edges whole and use a hole punch.

Found out I miscut a couple of my "squares" were off by 1/4" so they are ready to go now. I needed 4 for each of the 6 blocks so when I had a set done, I safety pin through the top with the safety pin being the handle/up.

edit: The square order is: stacked upside down, one of the too big squares (pre trimming) with tool positioned, drawn lines/back side, and right side up.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5656.jpg   100_5660.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-11-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:40 PM

Got the top and backing finished and loaded on the longarm and the batting is ready. Really don't like whip stitching batting. Also, loaded bobbins so I'm ready to start quilt it tomorrow, probably after we eat. I'll take a picture after getting some of it quilted. Really can't see much now. Also, got three loads of laundry done and made an apple pie and 7 layer salad for tomorrow. Busy day. Think I'll read tonight.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:37 PM

I haven't been quilting, but I have been making something that is making me very happy. I bought a bolt of navy blue gingham to make new kitchen curtains and a back door curtain. It is something I have been wanting to do for several months and I finally bit the bullet and bought the fabric. I'm really happy with my curtains. I make my curtains double sided with the right side of the fabric showing inside and outside and I add a tie to the back of the curtain to tie them up when I want to open them.

Pic. #1 - The curtains closed. Pic #2 - The curtains tied up. Pic #3 - The back door curtain
Attached Thumbnails 004.jpg   001.jpg   002.jpg  
Old 04-11-2020, 04:37 PM

here's my weekend start on my 3d pinwheels. In one of the monthly secret pal exchanges, I got a bunch of super fun polka dot charms. I thought this would be the perfect way to use them!
Attached Thumbnails pinwheels.jpg  
Old 04-12-2020, 02:31 AM

Oh so cute! I love the polka-dots, my fav. fabric! Where the pinwheels easy to make? Please share the how to info.
I like how the pinwheels fold and give a 3-d look. I am worried the quilt I am doing with the fold and sew charms will look bad after washing. Your pinwheels look so neat!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:48 AM

There seem to be a lot of tutorials out there for the 3d pinwheels that are grossly the same. but this is the one I referred to. https://www.getasquiltingstudio.com/...r_id=325704017

Yes, they were easy enough to make, though the small 2.5" squares felt a little small to work with and the middle seems are understandably REALLY bulky. I am not sure how I am going to like it as a quilt top. I think it would be cuter as an accent on bags or something. But I will carry on and see how it all turns out!
Old 04-12-2020, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I am "In" and will be1). finishing the binding on a UFO, 2). shashing on a quilt top I made last week-end and 3). piece quilt batting and get backing ready for two quilt tops from last week-end. My guild retreat was last week-end and we did it virtually via Zoom. three days and three tops nearly ready for quilting. VQW is timed perfectly for me to get pieces ready for the machine and quilting.
Update: Some of my guild members gathered together yesterday on Zoom. What great motivation to keep working on odds and ends and moving ahead on unfinished projects. For me Number 1 binding - Done! Number 2 - sashing- Done! Number 3 Pieced batting for two quilts - Done! Discovered that the backing for one quilt is not big enough because I added the two borders to the top, Rats! Nothing in my stash that is the correct color or large enough for the backing. #4 (Not part of my original plan) I have a large piece on my quilt wall that is set in a barn raising pattern. I started to join the half square triangles into rows. Big project but a labor of love for a family member. This one will be continued for a number of days.

I doubt I will get into the sewing room today, Easter Sunday. Maybe just to clean up a little and get ready for next week's endeavors. No photos of finishes yet. Maybe later or on other threads, UFO's and Fabric Moratorium.