Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--11/12-11/14/21 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--11/12-11/14/21

Virtual Quilting Weekend--11/12-11/14/21

Old 11-12-2021, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the weekend and hello to my virtual quilting friends.

I've been working on my project Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue over the last few weekends. I wasn't sure if I'd still be working on it this weekend or not, but gone it done last week, took it's picture yesterday, and today's task is to box it for mailing. Overall, I'm happy with this project for being a college sports themed quilt. The front is so strong, I made the back easier to take for non-game days! I've been trying to improve my quilting skills, I feel I did ok with this. I started by "stabilizing" with serpentine quilting following the fan arcs and echoing the rick rack. Then I filled in the larger areas with free hand free motion quilting in a large chunky meander. I did good in terms of not crossing lines, my arcs are generally smooth and not pointy. I used a yellow thread on top and a blue thread on the back and am happy with my tension, etc. If I had a long arm, I would have used white thread top and bottom and done a floral edge to edge so it was sort of like a lace overlay -- but I don't and I didn't feel I had the skills to achieve that finish.

For this weekend, I've begun work on this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery -- or at least I'm making a back and binding for the project now. The actual project starts after Thanksgiving, on the next (special) VQW. Not the way I usually work (starting with the back), but it's keeping me busy. First goals for this weekend are to piece the back and at least make the binding segments I need, if not get it completed.

After that, my Froggy Beach project's back is up for some work. I had designed my project and the next day I found the perfect piece of fabric for backing at the thrift store. But then I enlarged the top and somehow the back didn't get bigger... now the back is pretty much exactly the same size as the top and I don't like putting them together with that close a tolerance, so I figured out a way to extend the back.
Attached Thumbnails aunt-debbie-done.jpg   aunt-debbie-back.jpg   100_6215.jpg  
Old 11-12-2021, 04:07 AM

Iceblossom, Congratulations on the finish. Been watching your journey for some time now. I saved the photo to send to my daughter. She bleeds Maze and Blue also. It may inspire her to return to her quilting space. What a pretty and fun way to show Aunt Debbie's university pride.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:42 AM

Finally a weekend that is not loaded with commitments…thank you Heather for the early reminder of VQW.

I am pinning a backing onto the long arm this morning and hope to get an 80x80 project quilted this weekend. I have also started a tshirt quilt for my son who is a California firefighter. I would love to gift it for Christmas…so far I have the tshirts cut out and ironed fusible to each one.

Gail’s post reminds me that I need to do a quick cleanup in my sewing studio as well. I did not get any sewing done this summer so things sort of just landed on surfaces…and I can’t work with clutter.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:52 AM

Hello everyone,
I have a small quilt to finish the hand sewing of binding and some strip cutting for a BOM I've been working on. Leaving for another retreat Tuesday - going to Shipshewana!! We are going to shop hop our way up and then retreat starts Wednesday. So I will be doing laundry, cleaning and packing this weekend too.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:00 AM

Coffee break! As well as -- how could I forget?? am going in person today to my first quilt show in 2 years or so... Block Party Quilters, my former guild when they met closer to me and I could still drive at night.
https://www.blockpartyquilters.org/quilt-show

Wanted to give a shout out to Rob -- good to have you upright!

According to my approxi-math, I have enough of these 4-some binding combinations now made. Worst case is I will have to cut 2-4 more strips but I think I'm good. I'm going to leave the pinning for my Tuesday group, The goal was to use enough of my solid fabrics with this year's Bonnie Hunter project that the box would close better -- goal achieved I've done pieced binding like this before, for these I've cut 2.5" wide strips, staggered them into groups of 4 and then trimmed. I make larger than normal bindings anyway, typically I cut at 3": These have been cut at 3.5 because I might use a half inch seam allowance.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6223.jpg   100_6233.jpg  
Old 11-12-2021, 07:12 AM

Default Friday Morning

Good morning, everyone.

Iceblossom, the quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love blue and yellow together, there's something sweet about it that I just adore.

Well, I made a mistake and have to push back the organizer until the next VQW. I was going over the pattern this morning while I was drinking my coffee and I completely forgot to order foam stabilizer, so I don't have everything I need for it. I ordered it as soon as I realized I hadn't bought it, so the organizer is pushed back. I'll at least get the fabric together for it today, ironed out and the pieces interfaced that needs it, but won't be able to move any further until I get the stabilizer. I generally try to find a workaround when it comes to something like that, I try to be as thrifty as I can and just work with what I have, but the organizer won't stand up properly without it. I have a pattern for a Memory Bear that uses the foam that I was going to work on in January, I bought the eyes, joints and filling for it, I spaced off the organizer completely and pushed back getting the foam in December.

With that pushed back, I'm going to go ahead and work on my hexagons today, just not much in the mood to work on the Table Quilt just yet, it means clearing off the sewing cabinet first. Need to have a slow start today, I've taken my joint supplement and Aleve, I'll work on cleaning sometime this afternoon.

Still going to work on my heating pads, I found out last night that the mildew/mold smell is actually coming from the filling, so I'm going to have to fill them with rice now. Kind of disappointed in that, I love pads made with flaxseed but can't put that filling back in the pad because of the smell.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Hey everyone! I just finished 3 back to back to back quilts so my sewing room needs some attention. I'm going to be working on it this weekend.
However, I just saw a beauty that spoke to me so I may do some cutting as well.
Thanks for hosting, Heather!
Old 11-12-2021, 08:27 AM

I finally can participate in a VQW! Friends are stopping over later. He's going help DH hang a quilt block on the house that my BF and her daughter made for me. I'm blessed with good friends. Other than that, I think I'm free for the weekend. For the VQW I'm going to work on two panel quilts for the DGGS's. The underseas panel is a kit and the dinosaur panel is flannel. Think I have a plan for that one.
Attached Thumbnails 20211106_111403-1-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM

I finished binding on the baby quilt and put together a Xmas stocking. Also got together items for our guild auction. Next on the list is to go back to working on my economy blocks. I feel accomplished 😊
Old 11-12-2021, 09:13 AM

Good mid morning everyone. IceBlossom. I like your blue and yellow quilt. So pretty and creative.

My goals this weekend to finish the top to BHMQ 2020. I’m in the process of squaring the 6.5” inner square for the 12.5” squares. After that I need to figure out what sashing material I will use to be able to put the top together. My goal to have this project completed before I start this years 2021 BHMQ. My second goal to complete or almost complete another top I call Bauble for short. The second quilt I had cut out the steps and the project stayed in a plastic Craft container for over 10 years. I love the fabric and pattern. I just wished I had bought enough to make a king size top. But it will be a twin size. I’m on step 4 of a 17 step project. It’s very doable if I stay on task. My third goals to relax me some. Cut & sew borders out for 2 baby boy tops. I will quilt these later in the week. That should keep me busy for the next 3-4 days. Until my next pop-in, happy sewing/quilting everyone.