Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Last update on the week-end from UK. First I would like to thank Raggiemom very much for initiating this week-end. I know I would not have got as much done if it hadn't been for this thread. It has spurred me on! It has been great to look in on the board and see what you have all been up to - lots of inspiring quilts; thanks for posting those photos.
I haven't got as much done today as yesterday but I have sewn down the 4th row and glue basted the 5th. I have for the first time in my life used a glue stick to baste fabric. This really is a "sampler" quilt for me! It is skew-quiff and I have no idea how it will look when I have finished (but I will take a picture before and after wash and post it here).I pinned the squares on yesterday but after more red berries appeared on the fabric than came from the factory I thought better of it and went for the glue stick which I read about somewhere else on the forum the other day. I hope to continue sewing this week but I have several things I need to attend to like a bit of cleaning, a bit of shopping and such delights before the peace descends on the house Wednesday evening.
Thank you again Raggiemom for a very productive week-end and also to all who posted. I've had fun.
MagaQuilt
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM

You're very welcome, MagaQuilt! I'm happy to "host" these each month. They motivate me as well plus I often find new ideas Just what I need! I finished piecing the top of my quilt but didn't get the borders added. I will do that tomorrow. I helped my husband select a table runner pattern and some charm packs to make a table runner for his mother. He layed out the pieces; hopefully he'll sew them together soon.

It's been fun weekend. I'll plan the next one for the weekend of Martin Luther King weekend. I think that's 1/16-1/19 if I remember correctly.

Keep up the great work!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks MagaQuilt! I don't mind ripping but it's the restarting that erks me. Once it's ripped, I'll just set it aside until I figure how I can approach that layering again. The next few days will be focusing on Christmas -- last minutes, preparing delicious food, and family gatherings. Hope all here have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Well the day just got away from me--too many other errands intervened, so no quilting. Glad the rest of you had a productive weekend. Since for now my sewing area is on the dining room table, I will be packing everything up and putting it away for the rest of the week until after Christmas. happy holidays to all!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Had a great day...huge walk and home by 11:30...then in the sewing room working on my Fatcat penguin BOM.... off to the performance of the Winter Harp....and home at 5:30 to finish off the stitching on the December block.... I do enjoy these Virtual quilting times, and thank you so much for hosting them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]503304[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 11th-block001_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 AM

I can't believe I missed it this weekend. If I wasn't knitting a hat and scarf for ds's girl friend,then I was wrapping presents. I also spent yesterday helping my mom and sister get ready for Christmas. We made 7 lasagnas and 200 nut crescents. Not to mention shelling and grinding all the nuts for the nut crescents. I will be here for Jan. I am going on Jan 17th to my LQS to see about their Dear Jane program that will start in Feb or Mar. I am retiring in June so I need something to keep me busy.

All the pictures have been beautiful
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM

This is adorable (your penguin quilt thimblebugg6000)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Finished my Christmas Table Runners
Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I am experimenting with EPP, I posted a picture of my first ever EPP, below. Much easier than the way I did my first ever quilt. I am using 1.25" hexies. I have to make one more gift also. My younger DD has always been teased about "her horns holding up her halo", so I am making her a gag gift. It is a pattern for those cute hats with faux animal fur and faces. hers is going to be made out of red fleece, but instead of ears, hers will have horns, and I am making a silver lame' circlet that will be held on by the horns! Will post pictures before I wrap it.
Forgot to photograph the hat, but it is done. I will post a photo after Chritmas. Gave up on EPP until my Fiskars extra large punch arrives. I just can't trace and cut evenly...
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 AM

Thimblebug, your penguins are so cute Thanks for sharing!
I have finished my "quilt" I started at the week-end and I have washed it just in time for a cold spell we are forecast here over the next couple of days. Hope our feet will appreciate the extra warmth this will provide. Here are the pics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503739[/ATTACH]
Before wash and
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503740[/ATTACH]
after.
Not a huge change in the wash - had hoped for a little more fluff up between stitching lines but that might change over time.
I know this sounds like sentimental claptrap but this is actually the first "quilt" I have made where I have felt any connection to quilters past. It is funny how it has turned out to look very much like one of the quilts we saw in Lampeter this autumn at the Welsh Quilt Centre:
http://<wbr>littlewelshquiltsandothertradi<wbr>tions.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/<wbr>spring-in-lampeter.html
and it is similar in construction to the ones made using tailor's cloth samples.
Originally coming from a country with no quilting tradition I have not felt anything but an admiration for the women who made quilts in order to keep their families warm but making this has somehow changed that and added to the feeling of belonging.
Attached Thumbnails before-wash.jpg   after-wash.jpg