Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Old 12-20-2014, 02:05 AM

I have started on the second row of this quilt that consist of a flannel sheet, a layer cake and 2 charm packs Both the layer cake and one of the charm packs were bought for a class - I tried a charm pack when they first came out as well as a Bali Pop pack and they put me off pre-cuts forever. I thought they would be very helpful because I cannot really use a rotary cutter very well because of elbow and neck problems. I just don't get on with the pre-cuts. I never used these for the class because I didn't like the technique at all so only did a test block.
Recently I saw a quilt on pinterest or a blog that sparked an idea using the layer cake and the charm pack but also a mini charm but LQS didn't have any mini charms so had to get a charm pack which turned out to be a good thing because the charm pack I had bought for class had a lot of plain, mottled fabrics included.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503108[/ATTACH]
The picture makes the "blocks" look crooked and although they are a bit they are not that bad
I have layered a layer cake fabric on top of the sheet then a charm pack and a "mini charm" then sewn them to the sheet using the 3-step zig-zag. Once I get all 7 rows sewn down I will go down the other direction so I will get a kind of tartan look with the stitching.
I'm very much out of my comfort zone here - I hate raw edges, I dislike working with un-washed fabric, I prefer to starch heavily and aim at prescion piecing BUT I wanted rid of the layer cake and charm pack so I can stop feeling guilty about buying the pre-cuts and not using them. Add to that I need to make a quick quilt to use over the duvet at night because DH gets cold feet. So here I am sewing down pre-cuts
MagaQuilt
Attached Thumbnails wip1.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 03:42 AM

will be quilting a queen size quilt for my dd....still have 2 totes and 4 tablet covers and bind a Christmas quilt for dh... looks like my weekend will be a very busy one..
Old 12-20-2014, 05:13 AM

Maga, that is a very interesting technique. Please let me know how it washes up, I'm very curious.

In response to your question, I do not press the seams open on my quilt, I tried but lost patience with it after singeing my fingers a couple of times. They stitch together okay but I think I will have issues if I try to quilt over the center seam where all those points meet.

Last edited by kaelynangelfoot; 12-20-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Got these blocks done for half of Clue 4, Bonnie Hunter's mystery... Didn't see the mistake until I saw this photo! This morning I have a quilting group meeting, then I hope to finish up the other half of the blocks for Clue 4.
Attached Thumbnails clue-4-bd-2-001.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 AM

I went to the LQS for Sew Fun and stayed until 11:00 p.m. with sewing buddies and will meet them again for an all day sew-a-thon then out to dinner tonight. Great sewing with friends! I'm working on a donation quilt for our guild. It is the Tiddlywinks block that a member from here posted. I don't remember who posted it, but -- Thanks So Much!

Susan
Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could participate but my grands are coming over to make gingerbread houses today. Perhaps tomorrow. In the meantime I will sneak peak during the day to see what everyone is working on. Love the quilts and bag I have seen already!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Spending the morning with the stitch ripper. I don't like the FMQ (feathers) and the thread colour on the table runner I started quilting yesterday.

It is nice to see what you all are working on! Have a productive day!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Ok here are a couple of photos. The first is a simple Box In A Box charity lap quilt I just finished and am delivering to the local senior center today. The second is some of the blocks I am working on this weekend for a new quilt. Not sure yet how big I will make it, but think I will keep this one for myself for a guest bed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503131[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1110726.jpg   p1110727.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
Maga, that is a very interesting technique. Please let me know how it washes up, I'm very curious.

In response to your question, I do not press the seams open on my quilt, I tried but lost patience with it after singeing my fingers a couple of times. They stitch together okay but I think I will have issues if I try to quilt over the center seam where all those points meet.
I will report back on how it looks after wash.
I know all about singeing fingers when pressing open but after I have started to FMQ I have become very aware of the pitfalls of intersections. It is all about being stratigic when deciding on quilt design Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you have got the borders on there.
MagaQuilt
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MagaQuilt View Post
What fun! I used to make dolls' clothes for my girls' dolls - mostly Cabbage Patch Kids but also two baby dolls and an 16" doll. I loved coming up with ideas to "dress up" the very boring patterns around in early 80ties. Please share photos.
MagQuilt
I was there too, making cabbage dolls and clothes for my kids. They were hot then!!