Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/19 to 12/22

Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM

Krista, hope you get the last blocks done - it is going to be a stunning quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by MagaQuilt; 12-20-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 PM

Pat, two great quilts and a lovely doggy. Hope your sinus problem gets better soon.

Last edited by MagaQuilt; 12-20-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Jeanie, I know a woman who would pay huge money to get her hands on that Hello Kitty quilt - I will have to see if I can find that fabric somewhere. Did you appliqué the centre panel?
MagaQuilt
Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Jeanne, thanks for the explanation and the picture of the pattern. I can certainly see why you are attracted to this quilt. I like to make really colourful quilts for others but more neutral quilts for my own home.
MagaQuilt
Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 PM

Rebecca, that is a very fun and inspiring quilt. Something about it that makes me think of the Fibonacci sequence.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM

I've managed to get 3 rows done now so I will turn in. Hope to get one more done tomorrow so I am over half done in one direction. I think I will have to add a piece of flannel to get all 7 rows on because it was a fitted sheet and the flannel seem to shrink with stitching. I don't think it will be all that noticable if I do add a strip as long as the seam will be in the middle of a row especially if I flatten the SA with rows of 3-step zig-zag.
See you tomorrow.
MagaQuilt
Old 12-20-2014, 03:04 PM

Finally got one place mat finished, the black strip on the front is chalkboard fabric.. only 3 more to go! These are for the kids that come with their Grandma to share Christmas Eve with us. The fabrics were all samples from a friend who gave me her stash now that she's not quilting... not yardage, just odd shapes & perfect for I spy projects. [ATTACH=CONFIG]503181[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503182[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails placemats002_edited-small-.jpg   placemats003_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Cute placemats. I've never heard of chalkboard fabric.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:03 PM

There are some really cute projects on here! I have the blocks done for my QoV quilt. Tomorrow I'll assemble the top and hopefully get the borders on. Depends on whether figure skating is on tomorrow or not!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MagaQuilt View Post
I have started on the second row of this quilt that consist of a flannel sheet, a layer cake and 2 charm packs Both the layer cake and one of the charm packs were bought for a class - I tried a charm pack when they first came out as well as a Bali Pop pack and they put me off pre-cuts forever. I thought they would be very helpful because I cannot really use a rotary cutter very well because of elbow and neck problems. I just don't get on with the pre-cuts. I never used these for the class because I didn't like the technique at all so only did a test block.
Recently I saw a quilt on pinterest or a blog that sparked an idea using the layer cake and the charm pack but also a mini charm but LQS didn't have any mini charms so had to get a charm pack which turned out to be a good thing because the charm pack I had bought for class had a lot of plain, mottled fabrics included.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503108[/ATTACH]
The picture makes the "blocks" look crooked and although they are a bit they are not that bad
I have layered a layer cake fabric on top of the sheet then a charm pack and a "mini charm" then sewn them to the sheet using the 3-step zig-zag. Once I get all 7 rows sewn down I will go down the other direction so I will get a kind of tartan look with the stitching.
I'm very much out of my comfort zone here - I hate raw edges, I dislike working with un-washed fabric, I prefer to starch heavily and aim at prescion piecing BUT I wanted rid of the layer cake and charm pack so I can stop feeling guilty about buying the pre-cuts and not using them. Add to that I need to make a quick quilt to use over the duvet at night because DH gets cold feet. So here I am sewing down pre-cuts
MagaQuilt
Interesting technique, but it seems like it would be harder than piecing! No batting? It will be cute when you have it done. I am like you, I don't like working with precuts. The few I bought early on we're charm packs and in pastel prints so anytime I need to make a quick baby quilt for a gift I use those! Looking forward to seeing your quilt when it is finished.