Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24

Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24

Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 AM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24

Welcome to our extended virtual quilting weekend! If you haven't finished your Christmas presents, hopefully this weekend will give you the opportunity to do so. Or maybe you've finished gifts for 2018 and want to get started on 2019. Do you have UFOs you're trying to finish before year's end? Maybe you've just been so busy quilting you haven't had time to clean up your work area. Whatever you're working on this weekend, I hope you can pop in and quilt with us.

Next month VQQ will be January 18-21, 2019.

This weekend, I'll be working on UFOs, WIPs, and a little cleanup. I'll check back in later to see what you've all been up to!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Yay! Thanks for hosting Raggiemom! I’ve got a couple of Christmas presents to sort out and a UFO t-shirt quilt that I just need to finish up the quilting and bind.

Meanwhile tomorrow is DH’s 73rd birthday and Saturday is funeral for an aunt who had severe Alzheimer’s- the funeral is two hours away and the weather is likely to be extremely rainy, so we may not go...I’ve gone back and forth over whether to go as neither of us relishes driving in downpours.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is working on.

Rob
Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 AM

I'm in. I'm trying to finish my Christmas Ornament quilt called Felicity by Kate Spain. Pic coming.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:40 AM

I will be sewing! I only have two of the four grandkids today and tomorrow, a family party Saturday and a birthday party Sunday - so I will be working on binding on one quilt, the 5th clue of Bonnie Hunter's mystery and the quilting of another quilt. Let's see how much of that can be done by next Wednesday.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 AM

Just finished putting my Hunter Star lap quilts together (2) and will get back to trying to finish the diamond logcabin I started a couple years ago. Just couldn't figure out how to finish the corners as right now the body is 6-sided. Made a paper template, split it into 3 sections for each quarter of the quilt and today I'll start assembling the strips using the template. Trying out the idea of rays shooting out towards the corners. Wish me luck.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 AM

Current project is a donation baby quilt. Since the last virtual quilting weekend a friend gifted me with her used but very nice Bernina 820 "sewing computer" and I have been learning the machine. It's quite a change after using a vintage Remington (older than I am!) for the last 20 or so years. Don't know if I will get the top quilted this weekend or not, but that's the idea I woke up with this morning. I think it will be simple in the ditch quilting along the sashing and then on the diagonals of the blocks, it will be my first quilting project with the Bernina. Then I have another top and maybe I'll try some free motion or work with the BSR on some scraps.

Quilt top is simple and I think cute and appealing if maybe not everyone's cup of tea, I'm calling it "Pig Pen". A 6" square pig print of bright pink cartoony 1-3" pigs on a white background with a few blades of grass, surrounded by 2" pink sides and white corners. The pig fabric came from a fabric sale at a local quilt store, pieces were basically a dollar a yard. The pink came from a different thrift store, it's a tone-on-tone kind of swirly floral design. The white came out of my stash, it's a white on white swirly print. Today I'm putting it together with the sashing, which is a light blue stripe with a thin floral design of a green vine and pink and white flower buds. It was pretty much exactly a 2" stripe and was given to me by one of my small group ladies. The sashing is also set with the white on white corner squares used in the pig pen blocks. If it will fit the piece I want to use for the backing, I'll also do a final border of the bright pink. Should be able to get a picture of the top today.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Yes please! I have 2 specific goals in mind, finishing the quilting on my squares quilt, and finalizing the placement of rows and beginning to join rows on my OBW which, lol...is Christmas themed. Can it happen!?
Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605566[/ATTACH]This one is a lot of fun and the directions are excellent. My problem is I'm working out of my stash and I know I saw prettier Christmas fabric down at the LQS. There are 14 ornaments and I'm working on # 10. So almost.
Attached Thumbnails 20181220_110857_001_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Battle Axe; 12-20-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 AM

I'll be "sashing" to complete another community quilt top for north of the border. This will be my 4th one with the 6" blocks I love to make!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM

I love this! What is the pattern?

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605566[/ATTACH]This one is a lot of fun and the directions are excellent. My problem is I'm working out of my stash and I know I saw prettier Christmas fabric down at the LQS. There are 14 ornaments and I'm working on # 10. So almost.