Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18

Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM

Today I spent the day sandwiching a very large hunter star table runner (62x18) and also managed to do most of the quilting on it on my DSM. Will try to finish up on the runner tomorrow and also work on the final clue for Judy's Mystery train.

I'm also looking at the Ringo Lake quilt that has been finished for over a month that needs to be sandwiched and quilted, may try to get to that this weekend too.

Jan
Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM

I don't think I will be getting any more sewing done this evening, but I can't complain. It's been a really productive day by my slow standards. Here is my On Ringo Lake quilt. I just need to trim it square and play around with some border ideas. I'm pretty happy with it!
Attached Thumbnails img_3353_kindlephoto-404709241.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Watson, it may not be your horse, but I'd bet big money that it looked nothing like that in the coloring book!!!

NZ, lovely ORL.

About 3-4 years ago, I started "Birch Branches" from Judy Hopkins big book of 50 quilts. I was using up some not-pleasing-to-me Pink FQ and Yellow/Gold FQ, and some dated calico navy yardage. I had trouble with the combination blocks, then ran out of some bits. Couple years later, cut some more bits, sewed a bit, ran out of yellows. Couple weeks ago, I'm like, "I want that bin back." Ha ha ha. The bin back, not the Q finished. I quantified where I was at. Completely out of the yellows. Grabbed a partially used FQ, of tiny orange flowers. Not right at all. It is a very scrappy quilt, I think I had 10-12 each varying hues pinks and yellows to golds. I thought, I want that Q out of here, and cut what I needed. They don't match at all, but they don't jump out at you, either. They read as "light gold" and blend right in.

Yesterday, I sewed 10 rows of 8 (10" blocks) together, and cut 1-1/2" stop border in light pink. Cut 4-1/2" strips, yellow, pink, 2 shades purple, and yellowish brown. Sounds horrific, but isn't. Sewed sets of the 4 inch border together. The stripe will also be the binding.

I had ordered a purple backing, but decided make a back, to use up a some of florals I had been given, and one I had bought for borders for this quilt, but used the stripes instead.

Now to this morning before work: I pressed the 2nd & 3rd piece of the backing. I pressed the pink border open, and accordion folded the quilt to pull from my lap easily as I add the border to the first side. I'm looking at this crosswise stripe, thinking, that sure would be pretty mitered. Ha. I'm told, if it can be made more difficult, then I will make it so.

At lunch, I sewed first border side on, allowing overhang for miter. Sewed connecting side, mitered first corner. Sewed next connecting side, mitered second corner. I was back to a long side, and my border wasn't long enough, so I left it flapping 12 inches.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:53 PM

I won't be able to do any quilting today during the day. I'm redecorating my mother's room, and will be working on that most of the weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze in some quilting time, and I'll work on the new top my son wants me to make to "fix" his favorite quilt. It's just shadowboxes, so it shouldn't take too long to piece (fingers crossed).
Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM

just when I was on a roll, I am now doing an overnight with 2 of the GKs. Now I love them to pieces, but I want to sew! LOL Oh well, the sewing will still be there when they leave.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I got a fair amount done today. The sashing is all cut and I sewed two medium sized sections together. It is looking pretty good. I would have done more, but one of the cats decided that my sewing chair needs fur on it.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM

I am doing some hand appliqué on a heart of roses. Here's what I have so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589211[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0365.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 PM

Was a productive day, except for when I went to the garage and found that I had a flat! Fortunately we have a air compressor in the other garage, DH's work shop. It's a little thing so brought it in and filled my tire.

Here is what I have so far and this is probably where it will end today, only one mistake on color placement but I can live with it, so not redoing the complex block. DH is home now, and will spend some time with him in the family room. I will grab my quilting hoop and work on the table topper. Great to see everyone's progress.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589213[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsci3950c.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM

What great projects. I painted today, daffodils.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Thanks Heather for hosting once again, I've been waiting a little while to get in on one of these weekends. I went and retrieved my sewing machines from the OSMG ( 401A and the FW) today. Now, at last I can attempt to finish something around here. I have several tops sandwiched I am going the based them and quilt with the walking foot on the 401A. I'm clearing the dining table and I shall get to work first thing in the morning. All I don't get complete in the morning I will just have to make an attempt to complete on Monday. So looking forward to see what I can finish up. Happy sewing everyone looking forward to seeing pictures.