Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023 >

Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023

Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023

Old 01-14-2023, 06:38 AM

I bought a long arm - so this weekend is trying to sell the dining room set and finding furniture for the new craft room ....and writing a midterm exam (day job!). Probably not much sewing. Am going to Project Linus today with some donations of the blanket and fabric kind. Not 100% following the Declutter Challenge, but absorbing the spirit. However I will follow everyone's projects here with great enthusiasm. Post! I'm looking forward to your progress!
Old 01-14-2023, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
My first virtual weekend quilting 🙂. I have baskets of scraps ready to sort/ cut into 2 or 3 different scrap quilt patterns. Hoping when they're " ready to sew", l may actually work on taming "mount scrapmore".
It feels good to sort and cut scraps, but the best way to get them out of your space is to sew them up into a quilt top. Even a small throw or a baby quilt will make an encouraging visual of your smaller version of "mount scrapmore". Ask me how I know!

I am cutting my fabric, small yardage and scraps for the Birthday Swap and about half done this morning. While doing a bit of a clean up yesterday, I found a small bin of temperature quilt squares that I fizzled out on about 5 years back. Wa-la! Inspiration in hand. They were already cut into 2.5" squares. Whoopy! The pieces of an unfinished project being repurposed!
Old 01-14-2023, 07:04 AM

Rob, congratulations on the gallery showing of your quilts. Love your work - pictures please! Got the quilt loaded, pattern created and a little quilting done. It is a steep learning curve. Used the handout from the class and my computer. Definitely will have questions for our next class.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:36 AM

Congratulations Rob! I have three blocks for January for the guild to make and then, going to start another BOM (from My Carolina home blog) that runs until July, so need to iron the scraps and cut into pieces. I have spent hours removing quilt photos from pages in a binder with descriptions on them…I had 3 binders and they were too large to stand on shelf, so took up too much room! I am putting into smaller albums, with shorter descriptions on them, it is a mess on the dining room table, so really hope I can just “get it done” …I have been putting the timer on for 1/2 hour intervals 🤪

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 01-14-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:59 AM

Like “1/2 hour intervals”. Most anything is possible for 1/2 hour intervals.

Rob, love to see which quilts are in the show. However, also remember how Watson’s quilt picture was stollen from QB and sold online. Is there another way? Maybe PM?

Lots or scrap mgmt happening. Daily, walking past a x-lg tote that needs mgmt. but I know there’s a lot of decisions in there. It’s the box of “I don’t know what to do with that, tote for now.” And now hasn’t happened yet. More urgent is the top of my desk.

almost forgot, pieces are together and pix poster under ‘pictures’. Next it’ll be pressed and trimmed. Goal 1 much progress.

Last edited by petthefabric; 01-14-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:44 AM

img_20221228_060034184.jpg
hi everyone. Thank you Heather for hosting VQW. As always, look forward to seeing what everyone is working on. I've been commissioned to restore this quilt. I have permission from the owner to disassemble, repair, and put it back together. I also have permission to use new fabric to repair the shredded pieces. I have it disassembled, I am using civil war replica fabric to fill in the shredded pieces. I finished piecing those in this morning. This afternoon I am interfacing each block in prep to applique my repair pi ces, and then to quilt each block before I start the reassembly of the quilt. I have a timeline of spring before the owner wants it back.
This quilt is over 150 years old. It is clothing pieces that the woman hand sewed into the scrappy blocks. Each block is backed.The backing is linen. I'm pretty sure the batting is horse hair.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:15 PM

I'm bouncing back and forth between the sewing machine making blocks for a block quilt to be donated to Project Linus, and doing some cross stitch. I'm antsy today. Blocks are pressed and only one additional piece needs to be added to each block before I can sew them all together. Making the backing will be easy. Oh shoot...forgot about the binding!! Guess I'm off to the sewing roomm again!
Old 01-14-2023, 05:21 PM

Not much sewing done today due to some unsewing, then resewing units for my Cotton Cuts mystery top. But I did manage to get the center section done. Hopefully, this evening I'll get to putting on the borders for my EPP stars.
Attached Thumbnails e86edd2b-00ad-4409-9585-36bb97bbfbfd.jpeg   082047b8-7e73-43f2-af41-145adaa305e6.jpeg  
Old 01-14-2023, 05:54 PM

Railroadersbrat—good luck decluttering. That’s what I’ve been working on in my sewing room too. It’s a long process! At least for me anyway.

rjwilder—the project bag by Annie is a fun project. Sewing on vinyl isn’t too bad. I put a piece of paper under the vinyl to help it slide on my table more easily. Watch out tho—you’ll find yourself making all kinds of Annie’s projects.

stitch678–welcome!

Well I finished my catch all caddy by Annie. I’m not happy with the binding. I’ve tried three different machines and none of them want to cooperate that well. Will probably end up ripping part of it back out and redoing. I’m all set for tomorrow’s class I think. I sorted out a few things today and cut for three charity quilts.

Will check back in tomorrow night when I get back from class.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:39 PM

Yay! The binders are completed! And I have two/three blocks stitched…AND I forgot it was the guild zoom meeting today from 10-12 so I sat and hand quilted. Also a huge plus the sun came out today, still cool but we managed more than an hours walk about, this is my saving grace! Waiting on the veggies to finish for our dinner, I am so thankful that I am able to do all the things needed to keep our little home smoothly flowing…DH is now enjoying some TV time.