Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023 >

Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023

Virtual quilting weekend January 13-16, 2023

Old 01-15-2023, 04:31 AM

I finished up the 3rd attempt to use a cross stitch pattern for a quilt! Well, the center at least. I will move on to another project while I marinate on the borders. Plus, these squares are 1.25" and I have used up my patience. Today, I'm moving on to the dining table cover that I've been collecting fabric to create. Later, I will try the top layer on the dining table for fitting.
Attached Thumbnails shell3.jpg   closeup-shell3.jpg  
Old 01-15-2023, 04:52 AM

Reporting that small child's doggy quilt is all pieced together, but found out I'm 2 blocks short for the big scrappy project. So my plan today is to piece two more scrap blocks using a lot of already pieced HST's.

I think Quiltah Mama is a candidate for sainthood if she's restoring and re-quilting that 150 year old crazy pieced quilt! Just had to say it...
Old 01-15-2023, 06:38 AM

I will be working on my large quilt for my queen size bed. I want to make it so it totally covers the mattress and box spring so it will be large. I don't really want it for warmth but for a bedspread. It uses lots of 2 1/2" squares which I have a lot of. For me it is relaxing to just sew squares together and not an intricate pattern. I have found through the years when I make a very intricate pattern on a quilt, I am hesitant to use it, but a scrappy like I am making now will be used every day. I will FMQ it myself and put a thin polyester batting in it; therefore, cutting down on the weight of it. I am at the point where I am sewing the rows together and that is what I am working on now for VQW.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:37 AM

I am actually quilting this weekend. Making grandkids sleep mats with blankets attached for preschool. They are just starting full time this week. Got one almost done and getting ready to start the second one. Had husband help me pick out fabrics the other day.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:44 AM

Thanks everyone. DH usually takes photos at my openings, but it was too crowded on Friday night, so no photos. We will get some this week and post them here. Now, back to quilting.

Rob
Old 01-15-2023, 11:45 AM

Not much done yesterday, was able to do a small amount of cleaning before we went to the family gathering. Stayed longer than expected but had a blast. Unfortunately I was sitting on a folding chair most of the day so didn't get enough moment in the back and shoulders so they were very uncomfortable when we got home and when I got up today. Did church on line while sewing HST, right now taking a break for a little nosh. Decided for some instant gratification today, sewed some of the blocks into rows then made more sub pieces for the blocks. I have two of the five rows fully sewn and only need 6 more blocks of the one pattern then I can sew the other 3 rows. I feel like I'm making good progress. DH is in the basement playing guitar so it's a very enjoyable day.

Aashley333 - that is a very ambushes project.

Last edited by Dedemac; 01-15-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:32 PM

Ashley333, love the colors on your cross stitch turned quilt pattern. Absolutely stunning. I have done two cross stitch patterns in to quilts. I did 11/2" pieces. I am in awe of your 11/4" pieces 😱.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:15 PM

Sounds like Sunday is going well for many of you. The Take a Stand class was fun and I finished my bag. After making a huge mistake and sewing the carrying straps on upside down. Naturally I didn't realize that until I had attached the mesh pockets on the inside. So I had to rip out the straps and then part of the mesh pockets. Hopefully I don't ever make that mistake again!

Headed upstairs to relax for the rest of the night. Tomorrow is a fun quilting day at the quilt shop with friends.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:37 PM

Raggiemom - that is no joke. I'm making fairly decent progress, but when we hit the notions and other crafts two days ago, my sewing corner blew up and I think I may have to backtrack some in order to gain any noticeable progress. Supposed to identify unfinished projects/objects and decide if we're actually going to finish them for today's task, I only have a couple and yes, they're getting completed so I'll have the rest of my time to finish dealing with my mess. It's fun to declutter, but when you hit a bump like this, sometimes it takes the wind out of your sails a little. The challenge this year seemed to hit me mentally more than emotionally or even physically.

I'm designing a wall hanging that I can put above my desk for all of my pens, pencils and odds and ends. I'm using a sewing caddy to hold all of that, but it's taking up space on my desk and I think that's where my 'rub the wrong way' feeling is coming when I sit down. I'm adding a couple of mess pockets below that will hold all my glasses, the rest of it will be done with baskets in varying shapes. I know I'm onto something, just have to map it out, make the baskets, do some FMQ or grid it and call it good.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:54 PM

Thimble, I知 impressed with your finishing that project so quickly.