Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 26-28, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 26-28, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 26-28, 2020

Old 06-28-2020, 03:41 AM

Slow go this week-end. My machine and I had to have a long conversation about not performing up to expectations. I was quilting along on my week-end project and the bobbin ran out. Not a problem. Just add a new bobbin. Wrong. I flipped the quilt to look at my progress on the back and .................! Eyelashes! I had to pick out a section about 4" by 20" of quilted pebbles because they were all eyelashed. Not just a little but really, really bad. Try this machine, try that machine, trip to the LQS for different kind of needles, new needles both machines, double check threading, make practice sandwiches, Works fine, put under the quilt and again. Woe is me! Whine, Whine, Whine. I did get it done eventually and I just have to count is as practice on improving my skills with making pebbles. Won't get the quilt done this week-end as planned, but I did get the clean up/pick up the mess in my sewing room checked off my list.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-28-2020 at 11:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-28-2020, 04:51 AM

Thanks for hosting this VQW! These are always so much fun.

I finished the top of my Whirlagig pattern and the squares you see clipped on are the borders. I just need to sew them together and then onto the quilt. I ran out of black and white blocks, which are going to go in between every three coloured blocks on the border, so I'll be working away at that today. It's an easy border, because everything is 4 1/2", both quilt top and border blocks, so you don't have to measure you just have to match up.

Ice Leopard's Mystery Quilt Reveal came out Friday and looks amazing. Have a look if you haven't been following along. I would never have guessed it was going to end up like that. Unfortunately, when I took the paper off about 30 of my paper pieced blocks, I discovered that my bobbin thread was messed up and just pulled out. So, I'll be trying to re-sew along the seamlines of the already made and pressed blocks to see if I can save those so I don't have to re-make them all before I can put it together.

In better news, I found fabric to make the table runner that my friend requested and I think I've worked out how I'm going to do it. We'll see how it works.

Watson

Attached Thumbnails img_1856.jpg   img_1854.jpg   img_1857.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 05:13 AM

I got my round robin project finished last night but haven't taken a picture yet (and it will go in the appropriate thread, but I'll link here). Hubby is still in bed and that's where I take my pictures. Lucky duck, he has what I call "baby doll eyes" and when he lies down, his eyes shut and he's asleep. Unlike me and my insomnia. So I get used to his working schedule which usually has him leaving for overtime around 3:40 am (shift starts 4:00 am), once he is cleared out of house I get up. Except then he can sleep in on the days off (like today) but here I am, up and chipper!

Today I need to clean up that round robin project a bit and then I'm going to get into the Frolic UFO box and figure out a plan of attack. Maybe more planning than sewing.

Feels good to be playing with my fabrics and moving ahead. Spent the last few weeks spinning around in circles. I've been doing ok with things so far but I needed to reach out for some help. Now that I have, I wish I did it a week or two sooner... Just admitting it to myself and asking has helped tremendously even though my therapist session is still about a week away. I really urge those that might be having silent struggles to seek some help, however it is you find it. Turns out that this board is part of my support system, whether directly or indirectly and I want to thank all of you for your participation and pictures and creative energy.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 AM

I finished my quilt top of the Drunkard's Path variation. I posted a picture of it in the Pictures forum. I am excited to have this done and I am now considering taking it to be LA.. Now onto the next project. This is being a great VQW!!

Last edited by juliasb; 06-28-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:15 AM

Very nice Juliasb! I went and looked on the picture subforum.

Hubby has gotten up, the bed made and picture taken, here's the way there.
2020 June through November Round Robin

Since I've been confessing things lately, I should admit to all the fears and worries I have about showing my projects and workmanship. It was really scary and hard for me to post pictures at first, when I found no bad things happened when I posted my success pictures, I started going ahead and showing the failure pictures -- and still nothing bad has ever happened. Ultimately deep down I start stressing and it becomes not whether the project is good enough but whether I am good enough, and then I give myself a poke and try and get all philosophical about "it is what it is". For all the planning I do, it doesn't stop the second guesser from coming out to nag me.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Very nice Juliasb! I went and looked on the picture subforum.

Hubby has gotten up, the bed made and picture taken, here's the way there.
2020 June through November Round Robin

Since I've been confessing things lately, I should admit to all the fears and worries I have about showing my projects and workmanship. It was really scary and hard for me to post pictures at first, when I found no bad things happened when I posted my success pictures, I started going ahead and showing the failure pictures -- and still nothing bad has ever happened. Ultimately deep down I start stressing and it becomes not whether the project is good enough but whether I am good enough, and then I give myself a poke and try and get all philosophical about "it is what it is". For all the planning I do, it doesn't stop the second guesser from coming out to nag me.
You are always to hard on yourself! Quilting is suppose to be fun and relaxing. There are no quilt police that will come after you. Iceblossom I learned a long time ago that no matter what I could do to make a quilt look not like the picture I saw they were always much loved by the person I gave the quilt to or even if I kept it for myself. It didn't matter if some of the points didn't match up or the circle was a bit off or even if the squared corners were not so square. Heck I have even used some of the ugliest fabrics in the world and the quilt was well received or even ask for. Believe me I quickly gave a few away We can be our own worst enemies when it comes to our quilt making. This also applies to other things in our lives especially in this "new normal". No need to second guess yourself on my account. I think your quilts are beautiful and that you are an intelligent person. It shows in your postings.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I finished my quilt top of the Drunkard's Path variation. I posted a picture of it in the Pictures forum. I am excited to have this done and I am now considering taking it to be LA.. Now onto the next project. This is being a great VQW!!
I should have put the link to the picture here I just forgot

Drunkard's Path Variation ,
Old 06-28-2020, 10:59 AM

I just finished pressing seams on the new background pieces for the Farmer's Wife - much happier with this fabric choice. I went from a fairly light gray to a deeper taupey gray. The darker value lets the blocks pop. But I doubt that I get the top together as originally planned for VQW.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Got some of the details in on the butterfly, and the trapunto is looking good, but have decided it will need to marinate some more before I decide how to finish it, so I pulled a UFO Out of the pile, stitched the rows together and sandwiched it. I’ll quilt it tomorrow. Also got a bunch more of my Craftsy classes downloaded. Will Need to spend some time tomorrow organizing those and moving a bunch to my external hard drive.

I enjoyed reading about what everyone has been working on and seeing pics from people who posted! Thanks for hosting Raggiemom!

Rob
Old 06-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Here are some additional blocks I made for the Farmer's Wife Pony Club quilt this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails img_0386.jpg   img_0387.jpg   img_0388.jpg   img_0389.jpg