Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--New Years Eve 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--New Years Eve 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend--New Years Eve 2022

Old 12-30-2022, 04:01 AM

Default Happy Quilting New Year to All!

I plan to work on a baby quilt for my niece. It's a Whale quilt pattern from Fat Quarter Baby book called Andrew.

I'm using flannel for the background and minky for the whales and bubbles. I've made the quilt before and it turns out super soft, yet piecing with the minky requires lots of pinning to avoid stretching. So far I've been able to use my stash and plan to do a scrappy backing as well.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:03 AM

I am excited to participate in the NY’s VQW…thank you Heather. I have the last border to add to a queen size quilt for my DDIL’s grandmother. My daughter in law’s father bought one of my quilts last year…actually it was BH’s Frolic and then he asked me to make another quilt…Thankfully it wasn’t requested for a Christmas gift and thankfully this quilt pattern wasn’t as tedious as the last but I still want to get it finished and out the door.

I have all my fabrics cut for the Merry Mayhem mystery for Sunday but have plenty of other projects to keep me busy this VQW and like the idea of doing some organizing.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:12 AM

For the last couple weeks I've been destashing my sewing room, giving away totes full of fleece, lace and ribbons. ALso destashed both my garages once I got 220V heaters installed just in time for this deep freeze so many of us got. Anyway, garages are all neatly rearranged with new metal shelving so now I can actually see what I have and can get to it.

On the sewing side, I finally got my mojo back after a slump since October. Still have gone back to the quilt on the frame and I was so hoping to have it done and out of the house by the end of this year but nope. But I did design and start a quilt for a friend's new dog, Cowgirl (she's afraid of cows), using 8 orphan blocks from Quiltville's Smith Mtn pattern, plus enough cuts to make another block. Pulled out cutoffs, extra strips from that quilt and only a few scraps from the bins to make a total of 12 blocks plus 90+ 4X - 3" finished blocks to go around the body of blocks. So the only yardage to cut was for the striped sash and the border/binding. Even the 2nd sash is from strips already cut so I call this a freebie quilt. Got the body done, borders cut, striped sashing attached, and all the 4X blocks put together but still need trimming. I'll do that tomorrow as today is shopping day with my sister as we missed it last Friday due to the blizzard in our area.

I know I won't to the 2 quilts up on the design wall but the blocks are all done, just need to arrange and sew.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:38 AM

Thanks for a bonus VQW! I sandwiched a quilt yesterday so plan to do some quilting on that. Also our guild has decided to do a NYE zoom party from 7pm Sat to noon on Sunday, so I will check in with them on and off. Before I knew about that, I decided to do the Merry Mayhem mystery so have the fabrics cut for Sunday. This makes me think I should bring my “retreat” machine out to the dining room table to do my piecing, so I could leave my regular machine set up for machine quilting. Maybe I should leave my tree up until Monday or there will be so much chaos I won’t get anything accomplished! 🤪
Old 12-30-2022, 08:26 AM

thimblebug6000- I say keep the tree up, move the "retreat" machine to the dining table and have fun here at VQW, doing Merry Mayhem and partying with your guild friends.

I've made good progress on the quilting this morning-Yay! Might actually get the quilting finished this weekend and some progress made on Sunflower Illusions.

Rob
Old 12-30-2022, 10:01 AM

I am going to be reading this thread all weekend. I am on the tail end of Covid and don't want to touch much. All I have been doing since before Christmas is knitting scarves and they won't be turned in to a charity until next December. We missed our granddaughter 's 4th birthday and Christmas. Will catch up with them on Jan 8th. I was going to do Merry Mayhem's NYD mystery quilt but I may just save the directions to make at a later date.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:36 AM

Taking a break from sewing for a couple hours. I'm tired of all the various containers of scraps littering up my sewing room. Took one of the empty tubs with flip/flop lids and started to dump the scraps in there. Will pull chams and jelly rolls out but other wise in the container they go. Scraps are overtaking my world and getting tired of it. Had this revelation while I was down with Covid. Funny how I solve quilty problems while napping. Oh and inbetween naps, sewed binding on a quilt...done...quilted and bound another quilt...done...and pieced another top. When this thrid top is done, I'll have 5 quilts ready for washing.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:48 AM

Yeah! Been working on an equal lateral quilt.It’s giving me fits.want to put that behind me and catch up on Bonnie Hunter.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:58 PM

I have a panel of about 6” RWB blocks. I’m doing a quick red border on half and blue on the other half. My grandson and family may drop by tomorrow so we shall see how far I get. Happy new year to all
Old 12-30-2022, 02:54 PM

Thank you Heather for another VQW!!! Hear is the picture I finished from the last VQW and this weekend I hope to clean the sewing room work on some UFO's and maybe follow along with the Merry Mayhem, I will also check in with the Craftsy quilt along.

thimblebug6000 I agree with Rryder leave the tree up and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails dsci0520.jpg