Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend >

Virtual Quilting Weekend

Virtual Quilting Weekend

Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM

I lost my momentum to a ugly headache today. But, I am still trying to persevere. I have my mini topper half quilted. And will finish that today. Then must mark it for a small bit of hand quilting. So, I did get a bit done today. Will be back later.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan
Default It fit!

Spent all day yesterday and today 1)putting on the outer ring of blocks and hexagon border on my diamond star log cabin--with an interruption to pick up my new cell phone and fabric for the setting triangles and outside border.

It looked like this before

got back home and started to measure for the setting triangles and found I didn't have enough fabric, so switched them to pieced, and kind of incorporated part of the outside border into the pieced triangle. With bated breath, pieced one triangle and pinned it in place. Miraculously, it fit. Now it looks like this.

happy dance time. The quilt has now officially outgrown my sewing room floor. Maybe I need a design wall.

Last edited by Krisb; 08-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM

Wow just loved seeing everyone's pictures. I am taking a break, just finished sandwiching a bed runner...I used the Sharon Shamburg (sp?) method. Being the runner is narrow I was able to se my kitchen island. Hope to begin the quilting after lunch. I am planning to use Edyta Sitar narrow 1-3/4 in binding method, this will be a good project to try a new method.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Had to shop yesterday for fabric, today made templates, cut fabric, ironed, am bushed.......that standing gets me......the ad from Sears shows the same brand washer but different model # that I purchased on Friday is $70.00 cheaper. Need to run up to the mall and inquire, that will take energy...........calla
Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 AM

PenniF love your quilts--the fabrics are perfect for those classic patterns!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Great back on the guitar quilt, Nanna...

Penni, yours are pretty, too. The disappearing hourglass is so cool.

I can't imagine making all those hexies, Sisty! That's going to be awesome.

I am burned out on piecing my 4 patches. Really it's the trimming to size that gets tedious. I completed 120 more brown and natural 4 patches, and have about the same amount of blue and natural that still need to be sewn together, pressed and trimmed. FOR ANOTHER DAY, I think... At least most of my HSTs are done, tho I have a small stack to trim. Trimming is a pain, but it makes everything go together so smoothly once you do it. So it's worth it, I guess.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Kris, I love your diamond star log cabin. The setting triangle looks great - wonderful use of a new design opportunity

I finished piecing the top of my tree skirt. And I think I answered my own question about whether there's an overlap on it - I can't quilt it (on the long arm anyway) if there is, so I guess it won't have one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p8030397.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Krisb, that quilt is gorgeous!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Pinning the quilt sandwich is going slowly. Company popped in for awhile and then I had to make lunch for the DH. So, I thought I'd pop in and see how everyone is doing. Then, I'll get back at it.

Oh PenniF, your wedding quilts are so pretty.... nice job. I really like dresdens and yours is such a nice collection of colors. Good job!!

GailG, I bet you're done with those preemie shirts now. I'd love to see a picture of them.

Sisty88, WoW!! lots of hexis.... I remember how much work it was when I made my GFG. I like the design you used with those diamonds between the flowers. Very nice. I'm glad you've decided to keep it long. You've already done all that work.

Tucsonquilter, another hexi project.... love the trees. I would never have thought of putting hexies together that way. ... very unique. I have a ton of plastic hexies from when I did my GFG..... makes me think I could do something with them..... hmmm.

Kristakz, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone adding a row so their tree skirt would lap over. It sounds like it would work well enough. I'd probably just put velcro so I could la and stick it together.... I hate adding more quilting when I'm almost done. And, I did remember to save some black for my binding. It just worked out that way.... I'm not super good at remembering that.

KrisB... just love your hexigon quilt. It looks so hard though.

Okay, I need to get back to pinning. I'll check in again later. This day is slipping by fast.

Sunny, the pinwheels quilt is turning out so cute... Love it.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful tree skirt, Krista! You couldn't tell from your first photo that it was going to look anything like that. It turned out great.