Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM

I really hope they do bring back the fabric. It would be great!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Time will tell. Don't hold your breath.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM

There are several Walmarts here, within a 20 min drive from each other. One does not have the fabric anymore, there are others who do. They may be looking at the $ amt. the dept bought in at that store, so it closed. But the stores that have fabric, have not heard of any closings.
I only purchase their fabrics for sm projects or just to experiment with a project. I found out, I have to be careful about the colorfastness, although I use Shouts' colorcatcher. One time I did all the prewashing and still had color bleed out onto my machinger gloves and machine. I don't know how you would test that in the
store other than rub the fabric against something white to see if color comes out of it.
Marla
Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Goes to show you how out of touch Walmart is. Too bad we can't forward all these comments to the CEO. Women sew more than they party! Our party's right in the quilt room and on this board!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bostons
I really hope we can try to stop making this a debate about who thinks Wal-Mart fabric is nothing but crap and who will only buy at their LQS. The intent of my post was to give hope to people who LIKE shopping at Wal-Mart for fabric. That's it. Some people like to make a lot of quilts and simply can't afford the high prices at their LQS. Some people can afford it and still choose Wal-Mart for other reasons. But it's our choice. I love Wal-Mart. Maybe those who want to offer their opinion about Wal-Mart fabric can start another thread? Just a thought. :)
:thumbup: I have used their fabric for years & never had one problem with any of it. Stuff was washed 100s of times till OK.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM

You all need to move to Massachusetts. My local Walmart cut their fabric dept. way back. It's not much bigger than a closet, but they still have bolts of fabric. But last fall a wonderful man opened "The 1.99 yd fabric store" Needless to say I all but live there now. He has some wonderful fabrics, including heavier weight for upholstery. I heard that Walmart is bringing back their fabric dept full scale, but I don't care anymore. I'll stick to the $1.99 place. He also carries batik at times.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Lormito
You all need to move to Massachusetts. My local Walmart cut their fabric dept. way back. It's not much bigger than a closet, but they still have bolts of fabric. But last fall a wonderful man opened "The 1.99 yd fabric store" Needless to say I all but live there now. He has some wonderful fabrics, including heavier weight for upholstery. I heard that Walmart is bringing back their fabric dept full scale, but I don't care anymore. I'll stick to the $1.99 place. He also carries batik at times.
Wow, we are planning a trip to the east coast..where in Massachusetts?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM

It's in Auburn, MA which is just east of Worcester. They don't have a website yet, but they are on Facebook. Look under "That $!.99 Fabric Store". They add new pictures as they get new stock. If you are going to be in the area, it certainly is worth going to.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 AM

I was @ wal Mart yesterday buying fabric and this lady ask if I was making a quilt. I told her I was and she said you should come join us @ the COA (Community On Aging). She said they meet every Tuesday, sew and help each other. I thought this was so great, just had to post it. mary from West Virginia.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Our fabric department isn't closing. I'm glad for that because they do have some nice fabric, at least ours does. We also have a JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock, and various other quilting stores, so I have much to pick from! Just wish I had more time. I have been working slowly on Grandma's Flower Garden Quilt. It's fun because I like so many different prints, so I just go crazy with it.