Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl
They have brought back some material on small bolts but it is really crappy looking material in our Wal-Mart it's like the material no one would really buy. $5.00 for a bolt.
Some of it is more than $5.00 a yard here. They also have there fleece material from $8-$11 a yard and I can get fleece material all day long for half that price at Hancock's.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
do you really use walmart fabric in your quilts, or just decor type holiday, crafty things?
I do not use WalMart fabric in my quilts. For all the time I spend making quilts, I want the fabric to be high quality. I found out the hard way - used WalMart fabric in a wedding ring quilt and the binding started showing wear after only a year. I was very disappointed. I support my LQS! :lol:
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 AM

i used to be dept. manager of the fabric dept. in the canton ga. wal mart. our store manager had no control over what stayed or went away. she told me that corporate and district decided and that it was based on sales. when they remodeled they took half of fabric dept. out, downsized toys and enlarged eletronics. they have now given the dept. managers anywhere from 2 to 4 depts. to manage with NO daytime help. there is always price changes and lot of reports to do. i am glad i retired.
canton still has fabric and no one to cut it!!!!! have one of the new stores is jasper about 5 miles from me. it doesn't even have any precuts!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 AM

Bad news here...local store is closing out their fabric dept-- like immediately. Good news is that I bought a lot of fabrics, batting and backings all half price !
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Maybe we should all go on a letter writing campaign. I bet the head mucky mucks would take notice.
David
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Over the holidays I listened to a news report that Walmart sales were substantially lower than other years. I smiled to myself. Could it be the quilters are making themselves known to the administration? Maybe. I also had an opportunity to talk to a representative in Joann's over the holidays. Several ladies and I filled his delicate ears and even gave him a show in tell on what works in a quilt and what doesn't. He said ,"Changes are coming". That could mean anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM

Yeah, what is it about them that they steal stuff from my brother's laundry basket?
Originally Posted by Virginia
Love your Boston. I have one also. She was spayed today, so I get time to be here without her taking fabric out of my sewing room. Keep on quilting.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM

I would love it back!
jme

I sure hope so because we haven't lost our department yet but the other walmarts in our area have.

On the Joann's changes: I wonder if it could be because of going private? Hopefully, the new investors will watch CAREFULLY what the purchaser wants. The mighty dollar speaketh! LOL
Originally Posted by Ricki
Over the holidays I listened to a news report that Walmart sales were substantially lower than other years. I smiled to myself. Could it be the quilters are making themselves known to the administration? Maybe. I also had an opportunity to talk to a representative in Joann's over the holidays. Several ladies and I filled his delicate ears and even gave him a show in tell on what works in a quilt and what doesn't. He said ,"Changes are coming". That could mean anything.