Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart

Wal Mart in Grove City, PA has a beautiful selection of fat quarters.

Sometimes those Manager assocs. don't know diddle squat about anything. All they know is numbers. Got their college degrees(some of them) & think they know it all. They are out of touch with the real world. My husband usuta work for the warehouse & it's not the right way or wrong way. It's the WALMART WAY! Bentonville is the Mecca

Value or not.... just divide the yards into the price....you may be able to cut yourself and save dollars.....for more fabric. Ha!
    Diana in Texas

Blog Entries
    you may be able to cut yourself and save dollars
    I've thought of that but decided it would cost just as much or more in order to get a good selection of colors. Course if you cut JR strips from your stash that would save $ and use up some of your stash.

Some of the Wal Marts in MI have gotten rid of their fabrics! They said "anything that had to be measured & cut was gone"! How disappointed was I??? Have gotten some really nice stuff there at decent prices. That only leaves me Joann's & the quilt shops which can be kind of pricey! My DH said a Wal Mart closer to us still has fabric so I'm going to see what they have. :?: :roll:

At our Wal-Mart they have fabric, but no jelly rolls or FQ's. So lucky you!

Wow, here in Calif there is no fabric in Walmart anymore!
    It has been that way for a year now and fabric was never that cheap for us plus they never had jelly rolls. You are all so lucky. Can I send money to cover fabric for jelly rolls, gas and shipping so somebody will get me some ? Jelly rolls start at $30.00 here, although fabric at the quilt stores cost the same. I try to stock up on clearance sales whenever possible. I am serious if someone is game. My email address is [email protected] if anyone is interested.

I had the same experience and was quite surprised to see jelly rolls and quilting strips on an end cap display. I live in Central Florida.

Here in SW Mn the Wal Mart in Worthington did a remodel close to a year ago and downsized the fabric dept. (thank goodness), but one can still find some fun fabrics. I haven't seen any FQs or jelly rolls there, though. I'll have to go back and see...Our LQS has jelly rolls, but somehow I resisted...today, anyway!

jojo

so what's the quality of these jelly rolls/fat quarters like in the Wal-Marts??
    Lately(last yr or so) the fabric has gotten really sloppy, thin, questionable content. Some of the bolts on the shelves were Ok in some situations...
    would hate to put lots of careful sewing and quilting work into some of the fabrics i saw...

Here in SW MN the WM fabric has gone up also, but still isn't too bad. I purchased some the other day for $2.44/yd for some projects I made for some of the consumers where I work, and it had a good feel to it. Some of the better quality cottons are $4.44/yd, including John Deere fabric.

jojo

Just talked to our dept head & she said it was safe for now but if fabric goes so does silk flowers & all the crafts. They are not getting fat quarters or jelly rolls. We don't need a party dept because we have a Card & Party Factory store. She also said all of the Tyler stores would be losing their fabrics but there is several quilting stores, Hancocks, Micheals & Hobby Lobby there. Sometimes I hate Walmart just about the time you get use to having something they delete it.

I went to the walmart in Marietta Ohio again tonight and asked the lady if they were closing thier sewing department and she said yes it was supposed to be gone by the end of 2010 said she did not think they would even carry the fat quarters are jelly rolls maybe some pre packaged but she heard it probably would all be moved out for a party dept. Nothing in the way of fabric. Sad that they come in and put the independent stores out of business in small towns and then they stop having fabric. I asked if people complained and petitioned would it help. She said no thousands had already complained and even tho this store had high volume sales in the fabric dept it was stil scheduled to be taken out. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( so I just had to buy several yards my dh said if they were going to stop having it I should buy some more before I flew home just not to make him have to buy a u-haul to get it home to me in May.lol lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

perhaps more local quilt shops will be seen...also don't forget the online possibilities...
    many folks use Connecting Threads...their jelly rolls are from $11 to $20.

I was told that all Walmarts will be removing their fabric departments and will not be carrying any fabric in the future. Some stores will carry some yarn supplies and sewing notions but that was all. The fabric is what made me go into the store, otherwise I really don't need to shop there. I get the same prices at Target and I can find a "body" when I need help unlike at Walmart. They like to hide or just not help you period. I must admit that I found some really nice name brand fabric there if I caught the delivery just right for half the price. Sigh, those were the days!

[b]Our Walmart just recently got the fat quarters too. But we were told it was the way they planned to phase material on bolts out. We were advised to be sure and keep buying from the bolts if we wanted store to keep getting the fabric on bolts. If not, they would only be receiving fat quarters to sell..

Bet if you check with store manager you will get a different story. Has your store been remodeled yet? The remodel does not include a fabric dept in any of their stores.
    lucky you if you got one!

I just won't buy Wal Mart fabric because I've seen some of my earlier projects I've made for kiddos as gifts a few years later and the quality of the fabrics are just so awful, I was embarrassed to see how bad the quilt looked 9 years later. Sorry. :?

agree....better to encourage quilt shops, and use or swap scraps...

Quote Originally Posted by aileenlenzi
    Wow, here in Calif there is no fabric in Walmart anymore!
    It has been that way for a year now and fabric was never that cheap for us plus they never had jelly rolls. You are all so lucky. Can I send money to cover fabric for jelly rolls, gas and shipping so somebody will get me some ? Jelly rolls start at $30.00 here, although fabric at the quilt stores cost the same. I try to stock up on clearance sales whenever possible. I am serious if someone is game. My email address is [email protected] if anyone is interested.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was in San Francisco I found all types of fabric discount stores. There were at least two on Haight St. close to me. I would think any of the larger cities would still have a few shops like those. I would be happy to get some fab for you. We have one Walmart close by that actually still carries some fabric. I do not know about jelly rolls tho or fat quarters as I took a really quick look.

I've been spending my money mostly on home repair lately. I'm going to town this morning and will take a look.

I do not know why we came up in the same box I've never tried the Quote button before.

I've actually found some really good deals at Joannes. It's a matter of timing I think.

Here in Northern Ohio when I questioned the WM hdqtrs -- I was told they were closing all the fabric departments except where the amish live. Which for me would be at least an hours drive. If any new WM open they will not have fabric departments. They have closed out 2 of the 4 departments so far near me and have built 2 new WM without the fabric department.

I go for the same reasons as stated before, convenient to grocery shop and they drool over fabric. On any given trip I spend $25-30 on fabric to have on hand just because I am a F-A-B-R-I-C A-D-D-I-C-T. You never know what will hit you for a quilt.

PETITIONS will not help!!!!

Yes, it is too bad because they are not listening to us quilters. Not all of their fabric was of poor quality. I got plenty of fabric that was name brand for half price and Walmart did not put any of our fabric shops out of business. Oh well, such is life. I am just more conscience of the sales at my local quilt stores now. I also buy online and carpool with friends for a day of shop hopping once a month. Never defeat a hardcore shopper! I only buy quality fabric because if I am going to put the time into making a quilt, then I want it to last beyond my lifetime at least. Well, I have said enough on this subject. I am not happy with Walmart lately, so I don't go there anymore, their loss.

If Sam Walton was still alive the customer wouldn't be getting screwed around like we do. He would listen. They need a party dept like bore hogs need teats.

I was in Walmart today and talked with lady in fabric department. She says we were misinformed. They will continue to have fabric and fat quarters, jelly rolls, misc. It is just a new line of fabric they are carrying. We continue to support our Walmart as we have no local quilt stores without driving for at least an hour or two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast