Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Wal-mart

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    If Sam Walton was still alive the customer wouldn't be getting screwed around like we do. He would listen. They need a party dept like bore hogs need teats.
    here, here...he was a good man, and probably rolling over in his grave that his own family sold out the business!
    I am seriously thinking, that when ours stops selling fabric, they stop selling anything to me.
    We are on a fixed income, so once a month, I could go to bigger town, do my fabric shopping, have lunch and rest...oh, I need a rest after being in fabric store store for hours...no matter whether I buy a little or a lot!...then, go buy all my groceries for a month...geesh, am tired just thinking of it, but, I am a loyal person and have spent many, many dollars in wal mart.
    When they started taking my fabric tickets off at cash register, a few years ago, I rolled with it for a while, but was such a nuisance, since i like to have date and amount on pieces, so I don't have to remeasure etc. and i make some of my own notes on them.
    When I got fed up being treated like a thief, I talked to manager, then headquarters, and told them i was paying for those tickets, gave them my name etc. and said, look me up in your stuff and see how much money I have spent in past couple years on fabrics, and they had to agree that I was indeed paying for them and to tell cashiers NOT to take them off.
    I had to say it each and every time. I told them, put a hiliter thru bar code, but DO NOT TAKE MY TICKETS. i had to start paying for my fabrics separately so I could have time to watch, or they would sneak and trash them, while I was unloading other groceries. i was absolutely serious. Over time it became a real trigger for me to patronize their store and be treated like that. I am a very easy going person, but this brought out the fabric-tiger in me. I was very polite, but adamant.
    I know not everybody can do what I am thinking, but if they could, I would love to see wal mart dance to the music for a change. Two of my girls, and several more family members have or are working there. They treat their employees like crapola, and basically their customers too.
    One time, daughter mentioned a situation to her dept. manager and made a suggestion that was store and customer win-win, manager said no, keep doing it this way, customers will keep buying here, even if it is harder for them. why should we change? well, I may only be one person, but gonna do my part to give them a jolt. :?

LOL. I swear this subject has really got out of hand! This my final say on the subject about Walmart. I have had some of the same rotten experiences with the rotten service, hense I don't shop there. They don't miss my business and I don't care. BUT on the subject of leaving the sticky labels on, don't leave them on too long. You will not be able to get them off without washing the fabric a zillion times or taking a chemical gum remover to it. I know I had that experience. A far as everyone putting in about each area of their country not losing the fabric section in their store, I suggest that they contact the regional manager and talk with them. Store employees don't know, but the regional managers do. That is what I did and that is how I found out that the plan it to have all Walmarts have the fabric sections removed. This way it will dispel all doubts. Have a wonderful weekend everyone I am so done with this subject.......... on to happier things, like this is Spring, isn't wonderful!

oh (((aileen))))...LOL...I am like a rubber ball, I just bounce right back. :D
    You really can't tell how ppl mean stuff, on pc. Don't feel like you started a picket line or something. I have had issues with them for quite sometime, but anybody that wants to keep going there, it's A-ok with me.
    To each his own. :wink:
    I probably can't say I'll never ever darken their door after the fabrics are gone, but I am really seriously thinking of buying groceries somewhere else, so I can fabric shop at the same time. :D I don't know if I can physically hold up to it though.

Makes me mad that Wal-Mart is closing out the fabic department. We should all complain. The lady in that department told me I could call 1-800 WAL MART and voice my concerns.
    No fat quarters or jelly rolls in our Springfield, MO Wal-Marts, but will sure be on the look out for them.

The Walmart in Los Lunas NM is keeping the fabric dept and is now also stocking fats and jellies. The price on fats was $1.47. Did not think to check on jellies. Fats at Joanns and Handcocks are $.99 on a regular basis in Albuquerque. LQS's all charge $2.50 (but they are much nicer fabrics).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonomine
    I haven't seen any fat quarters in my WalMart yet. Wouldn't that be nice?
    that looks like a yellow gumby in your avatar, but what is he doing, lol? My guess is, he is cutting down the tree? :D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    that looks like a yellow gumby in your avatar, but what is he doing, lol? My guess is, he is cutting down the tree? :D
    It is pretty cool I didn't know you could put on a vidio, By the way it looks like a fish to me!!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    It is pretty cool I didn't know you could put on a vidio, By the way it looks like a fish to me!!LOL
    I kept staring at it, and wondered if it might be a fish under water. It just moved so fast. really curious now, it's kind of cute, whatever it is. :D

yeah, I didn't know you could get moving pics either. I would like to see my Rosie, take that needle and finish my ufo's, lol. :wink:

I took time out from my quilting today to check the forum, and give my back a break!

When I saw this thread, it really perked my interest, because I have a problem with what Wal-mart is doing to this country. I decided to post, it is a subject that is near to my heart.

If you really want to know how W/M is hurting us, here are some very good books on the subject. When you get past all the advertising they do as being "family-friendly," you will be amazed at the damage they and their methods have done.

The first book I can recommend is this one, "Big Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega Retailers and the Fight for American's Independent Businesses" by Stacy Mitchell.

Here's a quote from the book.

"Between 1983, when Wal-Mart opened its first store in Iowa, and 1993, when the company had expanded to 45 superstores, Stone found that the state lost 555 grocery stores, 591 hardware and building-supply dealers, 161 variety stores, 88 department stores, 291 apparel stores, 153 shoe stores, 116 drugstores, 111 jewelry stores, and 94 lawn and garden stores."
    -Mitchell, The Big Box Swindle
    The second book I can recommend is "The Bully of Bentonville, How the High Cost of Wal-Mart's Everyday Low Prices is Hurting America" by Anthony Bianco.

If you think Wal-Mart has "sold out," the answer is no, they haven't. The children of Sam Walton have just put profit before principles. According to this second book, each one of the Walton children, individually, makes $22,000 PER HOUR. Every hour, every day, every minute. One of the Walton children, Alice, lives near to where I live, on a big ranch.

In 1989, Alice struck and killed a pedestrian with her car, and she was convicted of drunk driving in 1998 after crashing her Toyota into a gas meter.

One of the sons, John Walton, was a hero, a former Green Beret who won the Silver Star in Vietnam, and he was the philanthropist. But he died in 2005 in a crash of an experimental aircraft, so his influence is no longer felt.

One more place to go to learn more about W/M is watching this video, for those of you who don't like to read, found here....

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Or this website, where you can read tons of info....

http://walmartwatch.com/

I personally have not stepped foot in a W/M in over 2 years, and I will NEVER darken the door their again. And that includes Sam's Club. In your reading you will find that the Wal-Mart EMPLOYEES donate MILLIONS more in community money than THE ENTIRE CORPORATION. And these are the folks who work there who are paid a pittance.

My DH's nephew is the manager of one of the biggest W/M supercenters, and recently his store won some sort of prize for highest grocery sales. Who got the prize? Certainly not the workers there who made it all happen, but the nephew, who got a trip to DisneyWorld for a week for himself and his family.

I heartily believe that if we as a country do not take a stand against this bully, we are going to be reduced to minimum-wage jobs and no economy. And I think this is certainly what is happening to our economy now. According to this article.... http://www.thetrumpet.com/index.php?...rticle&id=1955 we are losing manufacturing jobs by the thousands every month, and have been since, oh, about the time W/M starting to really grow.

Now I am going to get off of my soapbox and shut up. Sorry to take up your time, but it is important.

I'm gonna go quilt now.....My blood pressure needs to go down.

well, since we have heard from another person who has family, that has or is, working there, what she said is true.
    I did misunderstand about the selling out I guess, hubby heard that somewhere.
    The ladies that cut my fabrics there, are very friendly and know me. I have seen and heard employees in that store, do and say things that I am not gonna put here, but they are job scared.
    Anyway, there is a lot more going on, than meets the eye. I don't know why there researchers don't think the fabric dept. brings in enough, but whose got money to party? :roll: :wink:

I guess I will put in my 2 cents on this subject. At the end of 2007 I retired from WalMart after 14 years in the Accounting Offices. I know for a fact that all fabric will be removed from WalMart by sometime in 2010. It was announced in our office memos, back in 2005 that there was a five year plan in place to get rid of the fabric department. By 2006 the stores in my area had lost their fabric. I have since moved to another state, and some stores here still have it but are losing when they remodel, or build new. WalMart remodels each store every 5 years, so by the end of 2010 they should be out of the fabric business. Have already been told by the fabric dept mgr in the 2 stores I buy from that they will lose fabrics by January.

All the petitions and calls in the world will not change Lee Scott, CEO and his position on this. Electronics and Sporting Goods will get the bulk of the space vacated by fabric removal. The Celebration Party items are already a part of the Stationary Dept and will just move to what little craft area they decided to keep in some stores.. Others you won't notice a difference except the larger departments.

As to the treatment of employees, I could write a book but won't. No feelings for the human, only what can you produce for WalMart. Family oriented, yes, the Walton, Scott and other people in charge family. Not the actual worker. Buy USA... no longer.. it is 97% China, Japan, Maylasia or some other foreign country. The Walton Family still owns a substantial portion of the stock, why would they sell their gravy train..

Do I still shop there, yes for some items, I still patronize the fabric dept. because I can get some good reasonable price fabrics. but a lot is made overseas, stationary..and electronic.. yes because they are priced right.. Food... only if it is a canned item made in USA.. have to watch some WM or great value brand is made overseas... I won't buy those. Clothes... very little, most are made overseas, poorly made.. and sizes not right.

Ladies just don't get your hopes up that WalMart will listen and keep fabrics, it has been tried for years and you are wasting good time and energy. Buy while you can, build your stash... and have fun quilting.

Well said! I have not shopped Wal-Mart for several years because of their practice of running small busniness out of small towns, and then leaving the area to move further away and build a super store! I no longer belong to Sam's club either. I do not like the way they treat their "associates" either.
    If Sam were alive today, things would be different because had a Buy American philosophy! :(

I do very little shopping at Wall Mart! I live in a small town and all of the small businesses have just about closed up! WE owned a small country store for 26 years and sold a lot of hunting clothes and boots. also a lot of fishing equipment! We sold out 2 years ago and retired, but I feel that they have run a lot of small family business out . a;so, I saw a special on how little the sewers of their clothes make on PBS. 12.00 a day while they make more than that on one pair of jeans. The small business is what made this country great and now they are becoming a thing of the past. We are slowly watching our small town die. also, workers do not get paid enough for working there. Most are paid minimum wage. Barely enough to live. I know they are cheaper on some things and every penny counts these days. but shop other places when I can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3