Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Clearance Machines >

Walmart Clearance Machines

Walmart Clearance Machines

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by bakermom
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/warra...em_id=14237606

These machines come with a warrenty. I don't believe an authorized repair person can refuse warrenty work.
Now if something's not covered you may have to ship it back to Brother for repair.
http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/C...Embroidery.pdf
Yes, anyone can refuse to repair a machine. Happens all the time. Or the cost of the repair is more than the machine cost originally.
not necesarily. If they are an authorized repair shop the manufacturer authorized to do their warrenty work and they refuse, the company can remove their "authorized" status. If an authorized repairman refuses, contact the company, they will set them straight.
Been there, done that.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM

I bought my Brother embroidery machine about 10 years ago at walmart and still love it.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Didn't mean to cause a rukus but just a heads up. You might check with your LQS that carries that brand. The model numbers that Wal-Mart carries are not the same as sold through shops (at least not where I live). I would think you could open the box to check out the warranty info that should be inside if this is a concern for you.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM

I have the SQ9000. It is doing everything I need a machine to do. I do recommend rubbing the needle rod holder with a little bit of machine oil every now and then when you are first using it. I find no value in the embrodery option so I would not let that be my decision maker. I do find value in the walking foot and other accessories that came with it. I machine quilt as well and the machine handled it with no problem.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/warra...em_id=14237606

These machines come with a warrenty. I don't believe an authorized repair person can refuse warrenty work.
Now if something's not covered you may have to ship it back to Brother for repair.
http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/C...Embroidery.pdf

Yes, anyone can refuse to repair a machine. Happens all the time. Or the cost of the repair is more than the machine cost originally.
not necesarily. If they are an authorized repair shop the manufacturer authorized to do their warrenty work and they refuse, the company can remove their "authorized" status. If an authorized repairman refuses, contact the company, they will set them straight.
Been there, done that.
We will have to agree to disagree then. Yes a dealer that is authorized and must fix machines they've SOLD. If they did not sell the machine they are under no obligation to repair it. Most will to try to get repeat business, but many will not. That's why buying machines over the internet and at big box stores can be such a hassle. Warrantee work is basically for free as the dealer is not receiving any money for their labor or parts, so they don't do this for free for everyone and many times refuse to work on warrantee machines they haven't sold. One of the first questions my dealer asks is "Was the machine purchased here.."

Regardless, and to stay on topic, I'd buy the machine that got the highest consumer ratings over the other.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I've had 3 Brother machines. The first one came from Walmart. I had it serviced at an authorized Brother dealer, but she did tell me that not all will do it.

How can they be sure where you bought it?
Every dealership has a database with customer names and machine serial numbers....

Personally, and this is probably not what you're going for but I'd buy a vintage machine that will last forever for $25-$50 and buy fabric with the rest.

:thumbup:
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm not familiar with the WalMart's 80 stitch machine, but I have the Brother HS2000 with 70+ stitches & I just adore it!! I got it early June of 2010 & this machine has been sewing quilts almost continually, hemming jean shorts for my DH, and hasn't had very many days off since it got here. It has not given me one ounce of trouble. I love it! I got mine online though as a refurbished machine & it was on special with a serger. It was one of those deals you dare not pass on. So glad I didn't!! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM

I have the project runway 50 stitch as my original machine. I then upgraded to the Brother PC-420 Project Runway. Love them both. They are so user friendly. Sure they don't have a million stitches but in that price range - the project runway gets my vote.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM

I purchased this SQ 9000 last fall for $199.00. This is a buy! So far this machine has been great for me since I am a starter! I didn't want to invest in an expensive machine, yet. But when I do I will use this one as a backup.
For the price, this machine has alot of "extras".
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM

I find for machines sold at box stores, you pay for the basic machine and then the price increases by how many fancy stitches you get. I am quite leary of the warranty service on these machines and you may have to send them back to the Brother company.

It is a hard decision but it looks like most hear would go with the consumer report. Good luck and enjoy whichever machine you buy.