Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart or Joanne's  for fabric >

Walmart or Joanne's for fabric

Walmart or Joanne's for fabric

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Our Walmart in Clackamas, Oregon is going to continue carrying fabric--YEA!!!! By checking the bolts, I find most Walmart fabric to be equivalent to Joann's fabric and at a much lower price plus I don't have to wait for a sale to shop! :lol:
Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Hi Ardis,

My fav would have to be Hancock's of Paducah, and The Fat Quarter Shop here in Texas

Hancock's has great sales and closeouts, often they will have a free SH offer so you can't beat that

Fat Quarter Shop has good sales, lots of new lines and they are very quick to ship. Great website and a blog too :)
Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM

and there is coupons at Jo-anns :D
Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 PM

I prefer Jo-anns to Walmart of course I work at one so I'm a little Bias
Old 11-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks, I'll try them
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Sorry, but I never buy fabric from Wal-Mart or Joanne's. Both fabric shops carry the lower quality of fabrics. If I'm spending my time on a big project it will be the best fabric I can afford. Look at the weave of the fabric, some of them have a very wide weave which makes very flimsy fabric, or they use tons of sizing to make it stiff to the feel. Yes, LQS fabrics are more expensive but if you follow the sales and specials you can get the best name brands at reasonable prices and many times less than even Joanne's. Just my opinion. I check out the discounted fabric usually kept in the back of the stores where they are mostly $5 a yard. Check it often as it goes fast. Many shops will feature once or twice a year discounts of 25 or 30% off. That's the time to shop and plan ahead. Get on their mailing lists and you'll get advance notices.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 PM

BOTH! being a city girl the last 5 years has helped my collection ALOT! my stores carry a big selection I have never had a problem :)

Joann on sale

Walmart seasonals two dollars a yard!!! no beating that!
(my only beef with WM is they have the same fabric on the wall that they did five years ago... it never changes... exept the seasonal!!! YAY!)

hobby lobby seems to have better "collections", alot of sales, and seem to change up the variety more.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM

http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/ is a great place to buy fabric. They have very good prices and a pretty good selection.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:43 PM

I have found Walmart and JoAnns fabric to be of poor quality and not the best to be used in quilting. JoAnn's has much of their fabric made especially for them and with their label. They are much thinner and the colors and prints are not smooth and clear. They tend to be blurry. If you compare them to the fabrics in quilt shops, you will be able to tell the difference. I feel that if you are going to put so much time into making a quilt, you want it to be the best you can do. Yes, they are less expensive. But, this is a case where you get what you pay for.

I have 3 Walmart stores I can go to, all less then 10 miles away. There are 2 Joanns, both less then 10 miles away. I uaually don't consider them for fabrics, except for fleese. There are several LQS around within 20 miles , more or less. I make the rounds to the LQS for their sales. Most of the time I go to Fabric Depot, which is about 2-3 miles. I am very lucky to have such access.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM

WalMarts keep getting more fabric because they are getting sent the fabrics that have been left when a store closes it's fabric dept. They are closing fabric depts. company wde. Eventually they will all go. Along with my job.