Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart or Joanne's  for fabric >

Walmart or Joanne's for fabric

Walmart or Joanne's for fabric

Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 PM

I agree. Once in awhile I get a great bargain but you have to know your fabric and the feel of it. That's the cheapy stuff. The bolt fabric is okay but again you have to know your fabric. Yes, JoAnn's is getting very pricy. The 40% off coupons are no help cause all they have to do is up the price, stick a sale tag on it, you can't use the coupon and they still make money. That's an old ploy I learned when I was in marketing.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM

I know the store owners of two fabric shops and they both have told me that when they go to the shows to see and order fabric, they can order the same fabric the quilt shops order, except it is flat folded and not on bolts. One of them said the price difference between flat folded and bolts is a lot, so they order all that they can flat folded. I have seen the same fabric at one of their stores and at the local quilt shop and the difference in price is noticable. So now when I shop for fabric, I don't let flatfolded fabric stop me if it is the same as the quilt shop.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Yes, Walmart will eventually phase out all there fabric dept. They have enlarged or are/will enlarge there electric dept. It pays them more money per square foot.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM

I am enjoying this topic very much. I agree with the gal that said, it is made out of love, buy what you can afford. And the quilt in the dog pen...I think I would have pulled it out and taken it home with me. I know that the runs on fabric too are good better and best. I have phased out most of my walmart fabric too, but I bought some about 6 years ago when they brought in a truckload at 2 bucks a yard, and it was beautiful fabric. Made two trips around the world, and they are on my beds and everybody that sees them loves them. It truly is preference and affordability.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM

What about Hobby Lobby? They sell fabric. Don't know if there are any close by. Just a thought. :D
Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 AM

Has anyone noticed the $11.99 price tag at Joann's?

I did and immediately put it back on the shelf.

I bought at a better price at the LQS........of course, there's always the coupons.

Happy shopping.....mj
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

I know that Walmart is cheaper but Joanne has good sales and nice fabrics. If you aren't near a Joanne you can order on line.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Connecting Threads sells fabric made from cotton grown in the US and "woven and printed in North America". since they specifiy where the cotton is grown, but not where it's printed, i assume it's printed outside the US. THEY SAY 'MANUFATURED IN NORTH AMERICA', SO IT' S EITHER MEXICO OR CANADA.
i'd prefer to "buy American", just as i'm sure anybody from another country would prefer to buy fabrics made in their country. but in the end, we all have to shop for what we can afford. personally, i'm just tickled pink whenever i find something i like that fits my budget and isn't made in china. :roll: GOOD LUCK. WHEN YOU FIND IT, TELL US ALL. :wink:

PatriceJ "Defines" Price - (assumes fabrics are not on sale)
$2 - $4.50 ... reasonable LOL :!:
$4.50 - $6 ... expensive, but unfortunately in the middle of the going range of prices so ... whatcha gonna do? :roll:
$6-$8 ... i had better like it so much i'll lose sleep if i don't have it
$8 - $9.95 ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? only if i have searched high and low for an alternative and it's absolutely the only thing that will work for my project.
$10 and up ... no way, no how, not ever RIGHT ON, PATRICE! IS THERE $10 FABRIC? WHY?

to me, "quality" is determined by (1) whether or not i can see through it without holding it up to the light; (2) whether or not the weave is tight enough to hold up to a lot of use and washing; (3) my "gut feeling" about how much it might shrink or bleed; and (4) how it feels.

it is my strictly personal opinion that all of Joann's quilting fabrics are waaaaaaaaay overpriced. i save money buying from the LQS compared to shopping at my nearest Joann's. i only feel i'm paying a price that fits the quality when their least expensive fabs are on sale for at least 50% off. i feel the same way about hancock's fabrics. since walmart has started raising their prices on fabric, some of them have also shifted to a price that does not reflect the quality.

almost none of the fabrics i've bought from walmart have either shrunk or bled. nearly all of the "shop" fabrics shrink and some have bled. in fact, i never felt the need to prewash until i started buying expensive fabrics.

once i've decided for myself where a fabric falls on my "personal quality scale" i look at the price. if the price fits the quality AND i can afford it, then i consider that fabric to be a good value. if i like it, i'll buy it. if i don't, i won't. it's as simple as that.

i am as proud of the quilts i've made from wallyworld as those made from the pricey stuff. i think each quilter should buy what she/he wants to buy and the rest of us should (1) mind our own business; and (2) keep our noses out of the air.
I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH WALMART. I WON'T SHOP THERE, AS YOU KNOW. I WAIT FOR A REALLY GOOD SALE ONLINE AND GO CRAZY ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR. THEN I PLAN AROUND THOSE FABRICS. MY TEST FOR DRECK IS WHEN I PULL THE FABRIC OVER MY WEDDING RING. CAN I SEE THE GOLD SHINING THROUGH? IF NOT, THEN I KNOW IT'S NICE AND TIGHT. IF I CAN, THEN IT'S A LOW THREAD COUNT AND SHOULD BE CHEAP. BTW, IT'S AN OLD SCHOOL TRICK.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 PM

WOW....that would be great if a few other LQS would also honor coupons. If only, say..once a month........they might do enough business to justify giving in to the coupons.

I hope that my LQS sees these threads.........
Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I think that Santee is the only company that still prints fabric in the US. But... their prints aren't very special, only a couple of screens/colors so they can be produced for less cost. Santee is one of the many companies that supplies JoAnn Fabrics (many of the "basics" on their calico wall, $3.99 - $4.99 price point).

However... to the best of my knowledge, the greige goods (raw fabric) are all from Pakistan or India. I don't think any of this is US-made.