Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want an Opinion........ >

Want an Opinion........

Want an Opinion........

Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 AM

It's a strange request, by my immediate take on it is that even if it doesn't sell, they will still get a donation out of it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:11 PM

I guess if you donate it then you should let it go.. but I wouldn't donate it if I wanted it and thought I'd have to buy it back to get it.. Just donate $10 to the guild and keep your quilt!

We also donate items for the benefit of our guild coffers, but if they don't sell at the show we get them back. Then we can donate them to whatever organization or tell them they can donate it to the one we've chosen.. but we get that choice. I like that better.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Wow, I wouldn't think they would make you "buy" it back either; unless they consider your work, fabric, etc was a "donation" to them. Are they going to give you a "receipt" for the value of your work/material or just the $10????
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

I've never heard of having a donation quilt given back. And they are donation quilts. One gives it to the guild and it's their way of raising money. I once donated a lap quilt to an organization and wrote on the information sheet there was $40 worth of material invested not counting labor, which was free (for them) & suggested a $25 starting bid. I found out later it went for $15 & if I'd paid attention I would have paid $20 to get it back! :-( (I just give money now.)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I have a friend who recently made a quilt for a charity auction. She got special permission from a renowned designer to use her pattern. She spent well over $100 on fabric. She made the quilt. She paid to have it professionally quilted. It was poorly displayed and no one at all bid on it. The beginning bid was $400. Here is the amazing thing. She bought it back for $400. I figure that was a donation between $800 and $1000 (remember she had to pay to attend the auction). I was in shock. All she said was, "Well, it's a worthwhile charity." (By the way, she has made a quilt each year for at least the past three years). I don't know what will occur next year.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I am not a fan of those types of groups. I was trying to help out the Symphmony Orchestra at their events. I had to pay to be a member, then one day I recieved a letter with 4 tickets that I would have to sell or purchase if I didn't sell them. I called them up and quit the organization because of this. I told them I was willing to take tickets, seat people, organize events but did not feel this tactic was fair (really underhanded) to take advantage of volunteers.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM

why couldn't you talk to whoever is in charge and explain that if it doesn't sell you would like it back but at no charge to you? If you weren't told the "rules" beforehand, it doesn't seem fair not to give you a choice. A forced donation by someone who pays for the fabric, works hard, and then has to sit through the agony of it maybe not selling, doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM

I would simply tell them that they will not be getting a quilt donated by me that I may have to pay for if it doesn't sell (or I don't get to choose the charity I want it to go to). Of all groups, guilds know what goes into the making of a quilt.
I would either keep the quilt or take it to one of my favorite charities where it will be more appreciated
Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned

I feel that if you donated it then they can sale it to anyone. I would pay the ten dollars to get it back if it did not sale, but don't worry it will sale. God bless. Penny
Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
PJO

I don't think you should have to pay to get it back if it doesn't sell.