Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm & Natural batting - quilt is so thin after a year! >

Warm & Natural batting - quilt is so thin after a year!

Warm & Natural batting - quilt is so thin after a year!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 AM

I add these thoughts with the wonderful posts above to consider. There are many variables to why the batting seems thin,especially since you said the stitching,ect held up beautifully. Consider her methods of cleaning the quilt. The detergents alone can break down fibers,(and fade fabric colors) her temperature, her machine itself, the water itself. Well water with higher concentrations of specific minerals, city water with chemicals added.How often she washed the quilt in these factors. The same batting,the same way you quilt the others will do different at the other people's homes/habits that you make for them. As for the 5 UFO's counting for not doing any quilting in a year...it only counts if you've done something in some way as I have at times...take them out,move them around, think about it such as "I really need to quilt..blah,blah".Flipped them over to get to something else, Prop something else on the stack such as a book,magazines. LOL. If they only been stuck in closet not even thought about...then the answer is no, don't count.Ha!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Has anybody quilted with Warm & Plush? I would love to see some pictures that compare the look of quilts with Warm & Plush vs Warm & Natural. Can anyone help with that?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 AM

I was just looking at the warm and natural site and saw the Warm & Plush as well. It says it is 6 oz and the warm and natural I have is 4 oz, so it should give a little more loft. I do notice the batting seems much thinner now than when I started using it in the late 90's. http://www.warmcompany.com/warm-and-plush.html
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I never cared for the flat look you get with W&N. I like a little fluffiness with my quilts so I have always used Hobbs 80/20. If I was making a quilt with fabrics that looked old, I would probably used W&N for that quilt.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I had a queen quilt longarmed by a friend about 7 years ago. She used W&N batting and that thing is so dang heavy it's hard for me to hold up long enough to fold it!! It has been washed a dew times but still feels stiffer than other of my quilts in which I have used Hobbs 80/20 or Quilters Dream Select. I don't use W&N now for bed quilts if i can help it.

Jan in VA
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I love Warm and Natural. It is the only batting I will use in any quilt big or small. I am not a fluffy person, I guess.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

My very first quilt I kept for myself is about 22 years old and well-loved (read washed often). It has W&N as batting and it is so pliable that it conforms to my body or the cat quite nicely. It is also nice and warm. The only thing wrong with the quilt is that the binding is getting threadbare.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 AM

I have heard that polyester batting in baby quilts is a no no because if there is a fire the batting will melt and may injure the child. When we make charity quilts we always use cotton batting.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:32 AM

I pre wash my batting when I don't want the crinkled look and with W&N it would almost shred afterward. I now use Quilters Dream and I don't have that problem anymore.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Down here, we mostly like thinner quilts because we have so much summer. Putting 2 or 3 quilts on the bed makes more sense than having one really thick one we can only use for a few weeks. All my beds have quilts on them all year round and most are filled with W&N. I have used the Hobbs a couple of times and eventually it is as flat as the W&N which suits our lifestyle perfectly. If I was making a quilt for someone who lived in the northern states or Alaska, I would probably double up on any batting I used or use blankets inside as one of the layers. I like that the W&N quilts aren't so heavy that you can't work with them. I don't like that it takes so long to dry a really big one.
We use two quilts on our bed. One thicker "comforter" type, and one thinner machine quilted one. In the summer only the thin one is on; in the spring and fall, we put the comforter on; and in the dead of winter (which is sometimes five or six months here in Wisconsin) they are both on the bed.
I also have an afghan I made 30 years ago with worsted weight wool yarn in afghan stitch (so it is really heavy) that I can put on when I'm chilled. Sometimes I get that way, and I can't sleep when I'm cold.