Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm and natural versus Hobbs cotton with scrim >

Warm and natural versus Hobbs cotton with scrim

Warm and natural versus Hobbs cotton with scrim

Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM

The problem with trying out the Hobbs natural cotton with scrim is I don't have a good local source to purchase a small amount. I know that my opinion is what matters the most, but I trust you all to give me general guidance. If you'd said, oh, the WN is way better than the Hobbs "100%" cotton with scrim (or vice versa) I'd have probably gone with that advice. However, it looks to me like I should definitely try the Hobbs because the consensus is that people have somewhat of a difference of opinion.

Now, the Hobbs 80/20 is a different matter. Everyone LOVES that (including me) ;-). Maybe I should stick with that. But I don't want to miss out if something else gives me different, fun results!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Also, clarification, my original question is about the Hobbs Natural Cotton with scrim, not about Hobbs 80/20.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Also, clarification, my original question is about the Hobbs Natural Cotton with scrim, not about Hobbs 80/20.
And I realize, Teresa, that I was referring to the Hobbs 80/20 when I answered you earlier in this topic. I am not familiar with, have not used the Hobbs natural with scrim that I remember. Guess you can click that "dislike" button now, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 AM

Nah, never. I just saw several people saying that 80/20 doesn't have scrim, so I was clarifying that I was talking about the one with scrim. And I couldn't say the "Hobbs 100% cotton" because if it has scrim, it's probably about 87% cotton (Warm and Natural is 87% cotton).
Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 AM

I had a customer bring me a Hobbs cotton batt a few months ago - I was not impressed at all and decided then that I preferred W & N for cotton battings.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM

I've used several, including Hobbs and wool. I prefer Warm & Natural. It's nice to use, and lovely in a quilt, especially after its been washed and used a bit.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm straying a little from your original question.

I love to use fleece for batting in lap- to 55" wide twin size and baby quilts. For baby quilts, I use the thin fleece because it is so lightweight and drapes wonderfully. The light weight means that it is easier for a young child to drag it around, love it and use it. The very soft drape of the quilt conforms more to the baby's shape than a quilt with regular batting, too.

I use the regular fleece for bigger kids (I make a lot of charity quilts) because it feels softer, almost "pillow-y", makes the quilting a bit more noticeable and fleece is warmer than cotton. Also, my thinking is that kids in foster care or in homeless families need a bit of extra softness in their lives. I have no statistics to back my feelings up, but I also believe that the fleece will hold up to just about any kind of treatment and laundering so the quilt will hold up better.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:02 PM

I used W&N for awhile til I got some Quilters Dream because I was making a quilt w/ a flannel backing. W&N would have been way too heavy.

I must say that I love Quilters Dream Request batting - it's lightweight and I love the drape of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 AM

I just sandwiched my first time with Hobbs 80/20. I am absolutely NOT impressed. I like the soft loft, but that said, it stretches, it has little mountains puffing up here and there that refuse to be smashed down and leveled out. I am so sorry that I bought several of these some time ago and just now am finding out how awful they are and I am stuck with them.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for this discussion... I am nearing the end of my Warm and Natural full roll, and am thinking about maybe trying something else after that. This has been informative.