Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning about cones of thread >

Warning about cones of thread

Warning about cones of thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM

have a thread box that snaps closed and the spools and cones are arranged like a rainbow, this is about the only organized thing in my sewing room (or my life) so now not going to feel silly about it......it is a 'safety procedure'. Thank You for the valuable information.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Yes, we need to observ what is going on with our machines. It is best to put away all threads, fabrics, etc. that we re not using while we are sewing. Glad you can still use the machine. I'd hate to lose my 1500! It is such a workhorse.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

wowo !!! Thanks for the lesson .. sorry you had to learn it the hard way .. All my thread is away from the machines as I am a neat freak when it comes to sewing- I don't like anything around other than the material I am working with. My grown DD's think I am just the worst neat freak when it comes to sewing !LOL
They told their friends (even when they were growing up) : mom cleans before she sews anything otherwise she considers it a distraction.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Thank you for the warning. I'm not a very good sewer, so when I am at the machine, I am totally concentrating on just making my 1/4" seams. Thanks for the ALERT!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Great info - I'd never have thought of the problems that could cause....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
Hi, I had a cone of thread sitting on my sewing table. It was sitting on the cone holder. Some how the thread got caught around the fly wheel of my Brother 1500. As I sew the thread was winding off and wraping around the drive shaft. It cracked the plastic hand wheel cover. My dealer has told me that the part can't be replaced unless the whole drive shaft is replaced. So if you use cones be sure not to leave one on the sewing table. Lucky for me the Brother is still working and the thread didn't get into the machine.
My sewing machine repairman just told me last week to be careful of thread too close to the flywheel. He had someone with red metalic thread caught around the flywheel and pulled inside the mechs. He said it was a tangled nightmare
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this valuable information. We appreciate when someone cares enough to share experiences with us that we need to be aware of.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I have a shelf above my machine and keep spools of thread on it. I share my sewing room with them. So far they haven't gotten up there. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Yesterday I was using the only cone I own and it stuck to the quilt in progress as I took it to the kitchen table for more work and I had it everywhere. I too will clear all thread from the sewing area. Thanks for the information.