Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash your fabric?  Old subject seeking new answers - - >

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM

I have lots of allergies and prewash for that reason. Plus I don't have to worry about fabrics that bleed, it also takes care of any shrinkage. I've been quilting for 25 years.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Do you ever mix wash and unwashed fabrics in the same quilt?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM

I'm a confirmed pre-washer since my fingertips dry, crack and bleed piecing with unwashed fabric. I have also had unwashed fabrics shrink and bleed regardless of where they were purchased. Live and learn, and to each his/her own. (can I put any more cliches in this post? Lol!)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 AM

I personally have never washed fabrics because of a bleeding problem. I think the dying process has come a very long way and bleeding fabrics are far and few between these days. I have always washed my fabrics for two very important reasons though.

1. I am not a fan of the "big shrink" look you get when washing and drying your quilt for the first time when you don't prewash your fabric. I simply don't care for all that puckering. It's a personal choice.

2. (And this is really the biggie for me) fabric has a lot of chemicals put into it so it will not mildew between the manufacturer and your quilt room. I mean, a LOT of chemicals. On a few yards, you might not notice, but fill your quilt room with a stash full of unwashed fabrics and you have created a little toxic wasteland in your own home.

People who are very sensitive to these things will get any or possible all of the following reactions to these chemicals: headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathing problems. And even if they don't overtly bother you, they very well might affect your family members including your pets health.

Lots of us don't even know these symptoms could be related to our unwashed stash. I would much rather take the time and effort to wash my stash as soon as I bring it home and spare myself, my family and my pets any adverse reactions to the concentration of chemicals formed by a large stash of unwashed fabric.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 AM

I still prewash. I don't want to take a chance of all my hard work being ruined just because of a fabric bleed.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 AM

I try to wash everything before I cut, but sometimes it isn't possible. Color Catchers are amazing for these quilts. I do use strips and charm packs, and they don't do well in the washer. I have avoided using darker colors in these bundles (deep blues, black, reds(especially reds) and a few others. If there is a darker color in the pack, I substitute.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 AM

After having a quilt nearly ruined (I had washed the fabric) when I washed it after finishing, I always wash all my fabric. Washed the quilt again and it came out as it was only light bleeding.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 AM

I prewash all fabric before it even hits the sewing room because of the chemicals in it. Some of the chemicals make my hands and fingers split, peel, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM

I have always prewashed my fabric and will continue to do so. I want all excess dyes/chemicals washed out so there is no formaldhyde out gassing.
I also wash for health reasons because I am allergic to chemicals and formaldhyde.
But I prewashed before all the allergies.

Last edited by Pieces2; 04-03-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM

I guess I am nuts but why is it such a problem to prewash? My home ec teacher taught us to pre wash and I will not sew anything without putting it to the washing machine test. I have purchased some expensive stuff that fades or shrinks.