Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash your fabric?  Old subject seeking new answers - - >

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM

My biggest reason for prewashing is that the shrinkage, even with high quality fabrics, really distorts how the quilt looks after washing. I found this out the hard way with a OBW made from Robert Kaufman fabrics.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM

I try to prewash everything..probably because of experiences beginning close to 65 years ago. Some dyes bled as they do today. We used white vinegar, soda, hot water etc. Sometimes I forget to wash cotton bats ( don't like the crinkled look but sometimes even after washing their will be some shrinkage.) some shrink and some don't. I made 8 placemats for a friend and had added some strips straight from the store and I still look at them and notice some of the strips shrank some 1/2 in. She still likes them..
never tried the color catchers. or color guard..where do you get them?
Love this board (spend to much time here,though!)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I wash but mostly to get rid of chemicals and shrink the fabric back to size. Yes, newer high quality fabrics have less problems with bleeding but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

I might be like most quilters that use fabric from anywhere. Friends give me fabric, thrift shop finds and yard sales. I wash it all.

A lot of effort and time and love go into the quilts I make and it would be very sad to have problems just because of taking the very simple step of washing out of the quilting procedure. To me it is part of the whole enjoyment of the fabric.
peace
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Depends upon the source of the fabric. If it is a national brand name fabric company, then no, do not wash. But if I do not know the source, then yes, I wash it.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

i'm a sometimes i do, other times i don't...it depends on the fabric. if it's a hand dye, or batik chances are i'm going to pre=wash it, if it smells funky, or feels funky i'm going to wash it; if it's flannel & not for a raggy quilt, i'm going to wash it. if its just a regular print from the lqs - good quality quilting fabric theres a good chance i won't...unless its a very vibrant/saturated color that might bleed....just depends....i pretty much base every thing on the current situation- no hard/fast rules. pressing- sometimes open, sometimes to one side, sometimes finger press, sometimes dry iron, sometimes steam....every individual project has it's own *needs* and i treat it as i think it should be treated at that moment.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM

I never pre-wash. The fabric clings to itself better which is great for piecing. I use to prewash until I took a class years ago and we were told not to wash our fabric.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by homebody323 View Post
I'm with toolazy, I always wash and dry everything. I too refuse to use precuts for the very reason she gives. I have been frogging now for several days on a customer quilt that the "quilt shop" backing sagged so much during quilting that I got puckers. It all has to come out, 36 x 79" was quilted before the problem began. It will not beat me. I fwill shrink and starch this baby then prebaste since I know I have a problem with it. It only takes a couple of incidents before you will wash and dry before hand. I'm not taking a chance on color run or uneven shrinkage on my quilts.
Perhaps your take up tension of backing was not the same as your top roller...since you are using a longarm....is the quilt pieced by you?.. Just curious....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I agree with Jenny. I never prewash. I only use the quilt shop only fabrics. No problems!
Sandy
I agree with Sandygirl. I haven't washed any fabrics since I started using Jelly rolls. If there is any shrinkage, I haven't noticed it. mily
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM

I love dark fabrics, your red's, blue's, etc. I always wash with a Color Catcher, it is amazing how the fabric bleeds. If you give your quilts away you sure do not want anyone to make the mistake washing the quilt and having it bleed ... how sad.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM

If any doubts, see my thread here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t218165.html
I had blocks from a block exchange from around the country, and other people don't pre-wash, either. Granted, I haven't been a big pre-washer (depended on fabric), but now I might just have to start. It's been a not-so-fun evening and morning messing with this.