Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash your fabric?  Old subject seeking new answers - - >

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM

I wash everything now even fat quarters. It wasnt bleeding colors that I had a problem with. I made placemats and some of the fabric had different shrinkage than other fabric in them. After I washed them it was a disaster. They were all quilt shop fabric too. Now I wash everything!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 AM

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander'! There is such a huge market for the pre-cuts and you can't pre-wash them why should you wash the same fabric in yardage? I personally choose not to use pre-cuts because they are costly and I like to choose my own coordinates. I also don't care for them because they are most often way off-grain. I like to store my fabric as purchased. Then, If I select one to use that needs to be pre-washed I prewash everything I use with it so that the shrinkage will all be the same. Thus, sometimes, I pre-wash and other times not at all. I always wash a new quilt because I like the look and also to let the recipient know that it is OK to wash it. Most often I tuck the washing instructions cut from the batting package in with the gift. this question of washing and not washing is never going to go away!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 AM

I'm sure no one here would say Jinny Beyer fabric is not top quality. Well, the worst bleeder I've ever had was a Jinny fabric bought at a LQS. I would say I washed and treated that fabric at least a dozen times. I tried all the known ways to stop it bleeding but nothing worked.
Hence I won't take a chance with any fabric. Also with all my fabrics washed I don't need to worry about uneven shrinkage. I don't exactly wash - I put enough hot water (hot as I can get it) to cover the fabric into my laundry tub then fold the fabric in accordion style and let it sit until the water is cold. I then squeeze water out and hang still dripping water. It seems to remove that chemical smell and I hope kills any vermin.
This is not to disparage anyone's fabric but I used to deliver flowers at one stage. Now all of us love to get flowers (allergy sufferers excepted). I'll bet most of you would be horrified to know that when the flowers are picked up from the markets they harbor cockroaches. We all kept baits in our vans and I hosed mine out every weekend.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the fabric. Really dark colors that I am going to use with light colors or batiks I usually wash
Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 AM

I always PRE-WASH.

Not just for running dye but for shrinkage.

I hate to put all that effort into a quilt and this it bleeds/shrinks.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 AM

I wash everything as soon as it comes in the door. My laundry room opens into the garage. It never comes into the house until washed and dried. I have real issues with the smell/chemicals in new fabric. But that's me, it isn't exactly a medical issue but I can see where it may become one if I stored fabric in my sewing room.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM

I don't pre-wash. I have done in the past, but in the last few years, I've done so many quilts with either pre-cut fabric or with a huge variety of small pieces, so many that I just quit pre-washing. If I have a suspicion that a fabric might run color, I'll cut a bit off and soak it in water. I love to use batiks for small applique pieces, so I test the dark ones first; some run; some do not. FYI, the French Braid quilt top I made with pre-cut batik strips ... both light and dark ... had some "color runners" in it. When I had the top finished, I "sealed" in the seams with a cheap muslin temporary backing basted all around the outside edges and then washed it with color catchers. The muslin backing turned a rusty brownish, but the top itself came out perfect.

The only fabric I've ever had to shrink is flannel, so I measure and wash that - usually twice is enough - before I use it.

And, no, I don't buy pre-cut fabric any more; once was enough ... I agree they are not cut well and they are way over-priced. The French Braid was a 'one-off'; it was my first attempt to get the perfect blend of colors. I still have a lot of leftover strips to use, though.

Last edited by weezie; 04-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I wash everything before I use it, mainly because I want the dust and chemicals out of the fabric before I use it. I also want it all pre-shrunk so I don't have to worry about uneven shrinkage after it's pieced. I don't usually have trouble with bleeding but just last week had one fabric (red) that kept bleeding. I prefer to find that out before it's in a quilt top next to white fabric.
I'm with you on this one. It all gets washed. No surprises or disappointments after I've spent the time to make a garment or quilt.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 AM

I don't prewash. I wash the finished quilt using a color catcher and never have had a problem
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I still wash mine. Get rid of chemicals, catch bleeders, and shrinkage.
That's what I was thinking -- what about shrinkage? I always prewash.