Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water for your irons >

Water for your irons

Water for your irons

Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM

I got tired of trying to remember not to use tap water, so I just use a dry iron and a fine mist spray bottle when I need it, and I never put tap water in my spray bottle. The tap water here has an extremely strong chlorine odor. Distilled water can stay in the spray bottle without getting nasty for a long time, so that is what I use.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
Use whatever water your iron calls for in the pamphlet; otherwise, you may void your warranty.
makes sense to me.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I saw a post by Nancy Zieman a while back and she had someone explaining the insides of modern irons and that person said to use filtered water as in Brita - tap water is not the same for everyone. Distilled had issues. Anyway I am using Brita water
Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM

I use a fine mist spray bottle rather than putting water in my iron. No spots on the fabric that way and my iron (a cheap Black and Decker) is still going strong after 20 years or so.

Rob
Old 12-01-2018, 04:17 PM

I always use distilled as we have a water softener that requires salt. All the irons I have purchased recommend distilled.
Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Sorry, But, I have heard that using the distilled water helps.

I now use it exclusively in my Iron. And, I find it works very well. But, if I use starch, I find I get those little spots as well. Could yours be from your starch? I also have to buy it for one of my dogs also. He gets bladder stones. So, I always have distilled water on hand.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM

It's a lot cheaper to buy distilled water for the iron than it is to buy all those bottles of water to drink.
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Sandra is correct. The distilled water is so cheap, I can't understand why some think they can't afford it. My iron is about 40 years old, works like a charm and has always had distilled water in it. It's so much easier to iron with steam that comes from the iron.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Some irons say to use distilled water and some say don't. I'd read that using filtered water helps stop the spitting water from an iron so I tried it with my Rowenta which had been a terrible spitter. It worked. Used a Brita filter and fill up an empty distilled water container.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by indymta View Post
Some irons say to use distilled water and some say don't. I'd read that using filtered water helps stop the spitting water from an iron so I tried it with my Rowenta which had been a terrible spitter. It worked. Used a Brita filter and fill up an empty distilled water container.
That's what I said upthread - especially for modern irons and tap water from one water to the next is not the same. Some water is harder naturally and some is soft. Where we used to live, our water company used water from artesian wells. It was delicious to drink and probably not the same chemicals as water from a place that gets it from a river. The water here comes from a lake and tastes very different. I use a Brita for drinking water and to put in my iron when I want steam. So far, so good.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM

another vote for a spray bottle with distilled water, i use a cheap big box iron and a cheap spray bottle.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Same here. I stopped putting water in my iron. Just use a spray bottle instead.