Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We have some great husbands! >

We have some great husbands!

We have some great husbands!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM

God bless you and your family for caring for the dogs. I wish I had room to do that but I think my husband would divorce me (hahah). We did adopt two dogs from our local animal shelter and another one who was on her way there, ll within 3 weeks. At this point we have 4 dogs and 4 cats. We are also caring for two dogs that are having medical problems. One of those gogs just went home this weekend and the other dog will be with us for a couple of more weeks.

As far as quilting, my husband is fantastic. He helped me put my sewing room together (several times), he goes to all sizes of quilting shows where he gets me into trouble more than I get myself in trouble shopping my myself. He wishes he could buy me a quilting machine so I don't have to pay some one else to finish my quilts. I told him I am happy with what I already have.

God Bless him as well.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Go for it!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM

That's a nice story, Annya. How lovely to have one of the dolls that they made.

Our nephew's college girlfriend finished school in June and just went home to Australia where she plans to stay. So it looks like he'll be heading to your part of the world soon.

Regards from New Jersey USA.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by vanessa
Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
I am so sorry you have a husband that lashes out, what you need to do is treat him for one or two days the way he treats you, It will be a eye opener for him. God bless. Penny
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

My hubby is great to, on top of taking over all the house chorice when I became disablied. he helps me in any way he can. I can't afford to buy anything, but when someone sends something to me, fabric,thread,batting,books. I share with him, and Like me he can not beleive all you wonderful people. I had a mini stroke last Sunday, and its muddled my brain some, so when I was putting together my grandsons jean quilt, I asked him to help me decide on what shades of jean and wear. He lets me no what he likes or dislikes, and he is very suportive of me, he does not make me anything, but he is there for me. God bless
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM

I'd either attempt to help him discover a hobby or try to get him involved with mine. Maybe he can help you sort fabrics or threads or organize your room, or send him to Home Depot or Lowes to get you some fabulous shelving that he can install and feel that he is helping (and he will be). In turn, you decide how much time you are willing to give just to him. Does he like the movies or taking walks with you or BBQing? My compromise is that my hubby LOVES and I mean LOVES football. So I hand quilt and applique while I "watch the games" with him. I also keep up with his fantasy football team since he works a lot of Sundays.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 PM

My husband is a gift from God. He supports my quilting hobby. He has converted a closet in the guest room and made custom shelves for my crafts. In several occasions, he has taken a sample of fabric to the quilt store and purchased it for me. Oh, happy day.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

My dh is very supportive and I am very grateful. He sents me to visit my cousin every year and to go to the quilt show. I can't wait to go in Nov. I am a blessed woman.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by vanessa
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Vanessa, he needs a hobby!!! It's a shame he can't just do something independently while you do. We all need our own space sometimes. That's what I would tell him, really.
I can't give anyone my undivided attention all the time. Did that when my kids were little, now done!
Susan,

You are so right. I wish I could be more assertive when it comes to this. I try to quilt when he is at work too. He only works part-time now and I work full-time. I do love it when I can get some me time but that doesn't happen to often. I will have to work harder on being assertive.

Vanessa
Vanessa, perhaps you can get him to help with the quilting, choosing colors, patterns or helping you cut fabric. Who knows he might even get into quilting. Does he do any type of wood work? Let him know you need some quilt wall hangers, or peg boards or a cabinet or something that will help out. This may get him into a new hobby and allow you to enjoy yours. Just some thoughts. I would go crazy if my DH wanted all of my attention. He has always been supportive.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 PM

He is most welcome to visit if he is in my area ant time with his girl friend, I live in South East Queensland an hour from Brisbane.