Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

My hubby is a jewel. He is a partner in my quilting projects. I sew the tops and he is the quilter on our quilting machine. He is so supportive of me. He is a handyman and builds anything I want. He is the local repairman for all my friends' sewing machines. I feel so blessed. We have had such a fun life....backpacked Europe at 60 and spent four months a few years ago teaching English in Russia. Bad health has plagued us this summer but we are working hard keeping strong. We have lots more we want to do with life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    I have one of those too. I have the advantage that he has knee problems, and must elevate it, so I pick up used VHS or DVD's of "guy movies" , give them a good cleaning, and he can watch war, nascar, wrestling, or what ever strikes him. I get un-interupted 'me' time, in two hour blocks. He even takes me garage sale-ing (is that a word?) to find them. At about $1-2 each, it's cheap entertainment. He even microwaves his own popcorn. Gotta love 'em. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Hey, what can I say.... my DH has joined me and is putting out more more than I am. He beats all I've ever seen. He can mark and cut all day long and it doesn't bother him a bit. I can't sit that long. And when he is on the machine.... Well that's another story. But, he still hasn't learned to fill those bobbins!!!

Hubby and I have been married 33yrs. He is an alcoholic and has never supported anything I do. Never has a kind word about anything and is always negative. He wants to know every penny I spend, every place I go and every person I talk to. NOT HAPPENING. I don't smoke, drink, use drugs or cheat.. I went to co-dependence classes and learned that I didn't have to react to his actions. I taught my sons to play ball, change oil in a car etc. and I do all the handiwork around the house including remodeling the house my sons rent from me. His free time is spent by himself drinking or in front of the TV passed out. He is a diabetic with stage 4 cirrhosis and is completely happy being miserable. PLEASE don't feel sorry for me. I pretty much do as I please and have been known to tell him to put on His Big Girl panties and deal with it. Life sews on. :)

Mine just bought me a new Aurora 450 (Bernina) and all kinds of stuff and xtra feet to go with it - I am in heaven and definately going to keep him - he is the best

Just realized you billed yourself as a "cajun" I too am of Acadian decent.........Richard. One of the original 53 + or _.
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes.

You are all so very lucky. Please take care of those great husbands. My husband has been gone for seven months now and I really miss him. Years ago he built me a sewing area. He made me a huge table (4'x8') to spread out patterns, fabrics or whatever I was working on at the time. He had his work shop on one side of the basement and my sewing area was on the other. We had almost 45 good years together.

Lol! Mine thought this was another of my "passing fancies"! After almost 10 years now he is resigned to the fact that it is here to stay. Every room in our house except the master has something to do with fabric in it.

My husband is also great. We were both divorced and pretty independent when we met. So he can cook, clean, etc. We have a good time working together. We just finished building a fence in our yard. We are getting ready to paint our house. We have completely remodeled our house ourselves. But, I am a quilter and he a fisherman. He knows where most of the LQS are and I know where most of the LFS (fishing) store are. He is great with color and helps with everything. I make him shirts out of fishing fabric. Then, we go to the Sierras and he fishes and I quilt while there. We stay in a motel with a big window. When he comes in from fishing we go to quilt stores, fishing stores, shopping. We have been married 27 years now and really enjoy each other and every day I thank God for him.
    Verna in So Cal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    Hey, what can I say.... my DH has joined me and is putting out more more than I am. He beats all I've ever seen. He can mark and cut all day long and it doesn't bother him a bit. I can't sit that long. And when he is on the machine.... Well that's another story. But, he still hasn't learned to fill those bobbins!!!
    Precious!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt.:lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
    Just remember that we love you, and are here for you if you need us! WE LOVE YOUR QUILTING and YOU!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    Hubby and I have been married 33yrs. He is an alcoholic and has never supported anything I do. Never has a kind word about anything and is always negative. He wants to know every penny I spend, every place I go and every person I talk to. NOT HAPPENING. I don't smoke, drink, use drugs or cheat.. I went to co-dependence classes and learned that I didn't have to react to his actions. I taught my sons to play ball, change oil in a car etc. and I do all the handiwork around the house including remodeling the house my sons rent from me. His free time is spent by himself drinking or in front of the TV passed out. He is a diabetic with stage 4 cirrhosis and is completely happy being miserable. PLEASE don't feel sorry for me. I pretty much do as I please and have been known to tell him to put on His Big Girl panties and deal with it. Life sews on. :)
    There are quilty sister's here who NEED your insight. SHARE!

Good for you!! Life is way too short to just stop living! Mine is the same but he went dry four years ago and got the help he needed, we still have our ups and doens but there is more laughter then tears now days.

Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    My husband is a saint. The quilting he appreciates and puts up with , but he also married into my dog rescue.

Last night, I came home with 6 more puppymill dogs. There is mud everywhere, and frightened dogs. He helped me bathe them, and held each one for a little while.

I know that he'll come home from lunch today and do the mid day mopping, because I have to work in an office today instead of at home.

It's raining here, and the new scared dogs keep going outside, where there are no people (just lots of wet mud) and with 15 dogs in the house temporarily (until some of the new ones go to their foster homes) it's a giant mess.
    I think there are more saints in your home than just your husband. Thanks for saving the puppies, I got the sweatest saint bernard from just outside Tulsa 10 years ago and we just lost her this June. Hope your life is filled with sunshine. Gail

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready

Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
    Raptureready, I have been admiring the quilt in your avatar and wishing that I had the pattern and I would make me one with the exasct same colors. You do beautiful work and remind him that people in heaven will not talk like that. God bless you for your patience. Gail

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I love reading about all the wonderful husbands that help build stuff, fix stuff and make quilting easier for all of us. My hubby stayed up late fixing the timing on my older Singer Stylist. It's my favorite machine and I was worried about sending her away for fixing. He got on line and did some research and now she sews better than before! I'm so impressed by how supportive and helpful he is!
    I have to say, I don't brag on my hubby often enough.
    He isn't interested in my fabrics, or my books, and he doesn't know how to fix my machines, but he did build me shelves for my sew-cave, let me buy gobs of fabric, and has bragged about things I have made, so I'm gonna keep him anyway ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnejean
    My sweet honey bunny has built me so many things for my sewing room I have lost count!! He also really understands the need for good tools (he is a carpenter)if he goes to the quilt shops with me and sees a new tool demo he will want me to buy it. I think I need him to go to one of the big quilt shows with me. Hee Hee! :-)Who knows what I would come home with.
    Probably a lot more than you are imagining! It's great to have supportive husbands who may not understand it in the least, but know how important it is to us. My hubby never complains about how much I spend or how much stash I have or why I just have to have this particular item. In turn, his life is much easier I'm sure, and he enjoys football ALL DAY Sunday with little interruption cuz guess what, I can applique and join him!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I love reading about all the wonderful husbands that help build stuff, fix stuff and make quilting easier for all of us. My hubby stayed up late fixing the timing on my older Singer Stylist. It's my favorite machine and I was worried about sending her away for fixing. He got on line and did some research and now she sews better than before! I'm so impressed by how supportive and helpful he is!
    Is that the 457 model? I f it is, I also have it and also love it. Mine was given to me by my husband in around 1967. She has only been in the shop twice in all that time. That's a good machine !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    WE ARE A LUCKY BUNCH AREN'T WE!?
    Very very lucky ! After 55 yrs he's still there for me supporting me in all my various hobbies. Builds shelves, drives me to different places to buy supplies, etc. He also takes me out to dinner ( out of his personal savings, when I;m down in the dumps when he could spend it on himself.....almost never does that. He has his own hobbies and we sometimes share tools and other gadgets. Couldn't live without him !!! Wish all women could be so fortunate. Guess we'll let the man upstairs make those decisions.

Blog Entries
    Here's a great BIG hug ! Not because I feel sorry for you but because I am so proud of you ! Love your attitude. Living with an alcoholic is not a good life, my dad was one so I understand, but I still loved him. He was a wonderful person when sober.

I do know how you feel, my mum and stepfather went through a stage that when they were drunk and fighting they would hit each other over the head with2 large full bottles of beer. In those days beer came home 2 in a bag. My husband drinks beer but nothing like that. This morning I asked if he could perhaps find me some ply a certain size out of the shed (When he was ready) He went out and sorted out a big piece and told me to measure what I need, he cut it right away. Now I am trying to get the bend out of it before I make a pressing board for my sewing room. He does things like that, it is annoying when I am trying to fix up the sewing room, I did appreciate him doing it. With my osteo-arthritis in my back, it has been very sore again lately. Moving all the book, cupboards etc.

One year one of the big shows sold "Quilter's Hero" t-shirts. I bought one for my husband right away. When he was able to walk without difficulty he'd go to shows with me and actually LOOK AT the quilts on display. We'd discuss our likes and dislikes. He's helped me pick out fabric, patiently holding different combinations so I could see what worked the best. When I come home from a show or fabric shop he takes an interest in what I've purchased. He likes to see what I'm working on. He's been totally supportive and encouraging. Even tho he's not able to shop like he used to, every Christmas I find a few fat quarters in my stocking. As far as my husband and my quilting, I couldn't ask for more.

To "Verna in So Cal" on page 9 --- HELLO! I'm not used to seeing another Verna, I'm usually the only one. Did you buy a good supply of Moda's Verna fabric line?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Here's a great BIG hug ! Not because I feel sorry for you but because I am so proud of you ! Love your attitude. Living with an alcoholic is not a good life, my dad was one so I understand, but I still loved him. He was a wonderful person when sober.
    You go girl. Been there myself. Haven't had a drink since July29, 1988. Take care of yourself. A drunk won't change until they hit bottom, end up in jail or dead. You'll be in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    To "Verna in So Cal" on page 9 --- HELLO! I'm not used to seeing another Verna, I'm usually the only one. Did you buy a good supply of Moda's Verna fabric line?
    I too am not used to seeing VERNA except where it comes to my Grandparents and their doll making in the 1940's they called their company "Verna" after my grandfather Vernon. both have passed now and I am lucky to have one of their original dolls in my collection of over 600 assorted dolls.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast