Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

I have bragged on my DH earlier in the post, but as I was reading the comments about the hubbys wanting you to spend time with them, it just reminded me that my DH had his solution for that too....we have matching rocker recliners in my sew room and a TV so he can "keep me company" and in my office he has his own chair and a TV there too. When I am in the dining room AKA Juki and frame room, there isn't room for him, but he doesn't complain, he even put a little TV in there so I can watch/listen to it while I am practicing (hopefully will get better at that type of quilting soon). Yep, he definitely is a keeper! Today and tomorrow our Bernina dealer is having a grand opening of their new store....he was already there today on his lunch hour checking things out, and we plan on going together first thing tomorrow. You are right, we are lucky to have supportive hubbies....I am very blessed to have him in my life for the past 34 years. Here's to 34 more! ;-)

I am so sorry to learn that your hubby has COPD. Did he ever smoke? The reason I ask is because I was diagnosed with emphysema about 4 months and I tried only one cigarette during the summer of 1968. My husband was in Vietnam and I thought I needed something to keep the hands busy! Fortunately, that one made me so sick I never tried again. I've been around smokers all my life though.

I wish you and your husband the very best of your time together!

My wonderful husband helps builds things for me for my sewing room. He did some plumbing for a friend and instead of money for payment, he got me a Handi-Quilter and then bought me a machine for it! He supports me and always tells me how wonderful my quilts look, even if he doesn't really like the colors, he knows I do, or someone does. He is positive about my hobby and doesn't mind my spending his money on quilting/sewing things. The last time he came into my sewing room, he looked around and said, "I think you need more shelves." What a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
    Oh, I am so sorry he is treating you like this. He is insecure, I am sure. Have you made him a snuggle quilt, maybe with fabric of his favorite sport. Maybe this would make him like what you do,, more. Just a thought! In the mean time just smile at him and thank him for his remarks. He might think about what he said and realize how hurtful he is being.

My hubby is the fabric picker. :) I'll show him the quilt design I want to do, the colors I have in mind, and he'll go with me to Joann's and look at the colors and pull one out and ask me about it. Most of the time, if not all the time, I agree with his picks!

One project I was working with all blues and he put them all against each other to make sure there was enough difference in them for my quilt.

My husband got COPD from welding. The shop where he once worked had no exhaust fans. The smoke would be so bad they had to stoop down about 2 ft. from floor and look to see if anyone was coming before they moved. His lungs are black not gray. Gray lungs are from smoking. He also smoked but dr. said his is from the welding. Thank you for caring.

Blog Entries
    My husband doesn't fix anything - most especially my machines. And he doesn't build me shelves or help improve my sewing area at all. BUT, today (gasp) when I went out and bought a new Jamone Memory Craft 1100, and a new Evolution Baby Lock Serger (YEAH - I will pick them up on Wed next), he just smiled and said - good job on the prices you got. Gotta love that - lots!!!

Blog Entries
    I saw this post and had to tell about my wonderful husband..Dale. We have been married for 31 years. He never gets mad, never cusses...is always so sweet and loving. Twenty years ago..I came home from work and said that the owner of the flower shop was closing his shop. A few days past..and Dale came home from work..and said "you are opening your own shop". In 2 weeks we were open. Our daughter got married 4 years ago..and on the way home from the wedding he said "I want you to close the shop and stay home now..you can quilt til your heart is content. So..We closed the shop. He surprised me with a new Bernina 730. We went to a quilt show in Hampton roads Virginia..when we left there..guess what..a longarm machine was the purchase of the day. He takes me on day trips to Lancaster and we go to the quilt shops. He tells me to buy anything I want. He amazes me everyday. I inherited some money when my father passed. I finally could do something for him..I had his garage..his man cave..renovated. He is so tickled with the gift..I love to see his face when he is in there..loving his space. He has been a wonderful father to our two children. He is always helping them..always guiding them and praising them with their accomplishments. I am so blessed to have this wonderful man for my best friend, the love of my life, husband and father to two great kids. Hats off to Dale!!!!

My wonderful husband helped me lay out patterns so I wouldn't waste material, adapted my sewing cabinet to accommidate a different machine and was about to make me a large cutting area and sewing table combined when he died suddenly. Whenever the topic of DH's comes up I'm reminded of all the selfless thinks he did for me for 32 years. He been gone for over 12 years now and I miss him more than ever. Thank you all for listening...

Andie

LOL, a content wife is a happy wife and a happy wife will make a happy husband. Be gentle and tell him you need to be a well rounded person and quilting makes you happy. Teach him to piece quilts too. Then you will share a hobby. Maybe he's waiting for an invite!

Banned
    Yes....I have one of those husbands. He has built me two oak tables
    with drawers, an oak reproduction Coats and Clark Thread Box (huge), an oak cutting table that is very large, with 8 baskets (4 on ea. side).....Also put a huge design wall that takes up one whole wall. Love my sewing room.

He is a fantastic wood worker. Designed and built our home also.
    Geeze, and held down a full time job. Now retired and is building from the ground up a 1932 Ford Roadster. Almost done know.
    The guy can't sit still...LOL

Gotta love him though....I have MS and it was heart breaking to get the news. He is great through it all.

Now does the grocery shopping, helps me with housework....

Maybe I can rent him out....LOL

Power Poster
    My husband isn't the handy type, I am. I do all the repairs in the house. I have put in walls, floors, plumbing, ped boards on the walls in the garage, paneling in my sewing room, paint, wallpaper etc, but I don't mind. I don't know why I have a talent for doing a lot of things. I just look at things then I have a desire to do them. I own all the tools in my house and love working with them. My husband hasen't built me a sewing room but he has always supported me in my quilting. He buys me gift certificates for Joann's and never complains about anything I buy quilt related. He encourages me to meet with my quilting group which meets once a week for about 7 months each year. So even though he is not the handy guy is a good guy in other ways.

Blog Entries

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Mine is the same way!

Love the guy dearly, but there are times when I just don't get him. He doesn't understand my desire for a longarm, but buys a car at the same cost and can't understand wh I'm not all jping up and down with joy. It's a car, it's a nice car and I enjoy driving it, but it is just a car. (sigh) SSo I wait a few years longer......

My late husband surprised me one day. I was coming back home as he was just finishing teaching a martial arts lesson. No one was in the dojo . He brought his guy to see the quilt I was quilting. He was telling them about the work it involves. When he saw me , he said . I love my wife because she is old-fashioned!

That is so precious.

MNM

Teach him to quilt or at least how to cut. He may well like it.
    If he needs a hobby quilting is a good one. MNM

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Teach him to quilt! lol

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I saw this post and had to tell about my wonderful husband..Dale. We have been married for 31 years. He never gets mad, never cusses...is always so sweet and loving. Twenty years ago..I came home from work and said that the owner of the flower shop was closing his shop. A few days past..and Dale came home from work..and said "you are opening your own shop". In 2 weeks we were open. Our daughter got married 4 years ago..and on the way home from the wedding he said "I want you to close the shop and stay home now..you can quilt til your heart is content. So..We closed the shop. He surprised me with a new Bernina 730. We went to a quilt show in Hampton roads Virginia..when we left there..guess what..a longarm machine was the purchase of the day. He takes me on day trips to Lancaster and we go to the quilt shops. He tells me to buy anything I want. He amazes me everyday. I inherited some money when my father passed. I finally could do something for him..I had his garage..his man cave..renovated. He is so tickled with the gift..I love to see his face when he is in there..loving his space. He has been a wonderful father to our two children. He is always helping them..always guiding them and praising them with their accomplishments. I am so blessed to have this wonderful man for my best friend, the love of my life, husband and father to two great kids. Hats off to Dale!!!!
    Boy! may hat is off to Dale. You truley are blessed.. MNM

yea mine helps too - he stays out of the way!!!

It is a great relationship we do some things together but we both of our own things we can do!! Mine happen to be cooking, cleaning quilting and baking his golf, hockey and watching sports

It is not for everyone but it works for us - coming up 38 years

we have fun with our friends and families but are independent enough to do our own things too!! perfect for us!!!

So .... would "that looks like (expletive)" also apply to his meals? LOL. Tell him a husband -- me -- said to go buy a set of golf clubs and practice. Guaranteed you will not see him for hours and hours, and days and days!

Tell him to buy a boat and go fishing -- another daylong activity you will certainly enjoy.

Tell him to join a bowling league -- gone a lot of evenings and on Saturdays during the day.

Hand him one of the longest "honey-do" known to mankind and tell him you expect all of it to be done before Sunday -- I hate those lists LOL!

If these suggestions don't work, toss him the latest Dick's Sporting Goods flyer and tell him to pick a sport/hobby FAST!

Finally, tell him to stop interfering with the one great thing you do that makes you want to be around him -- quilting.

Not bad for a guy who will do anything for his wife. She is my angel, and an angel to hundreds and hundreds of prematurely born babies she has cared for these past 28 years (NICU nurse she is.)

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    my husband half supports me when it suits him, LOL it's my mother i have the most problems with,
    Ditto on the husband. My mum lives away from me and likes seeing what I am doing.

A husband that is jealous of a woman's hobby has a problem!!!
    A husband that puts a woman down for doing quilting and making quilts for grand children has a problem. THIS IS A FORM of
    ABUSE. Stand firm and tell him this is ABUSE and it needs to stop or he will be gone or we need to go to counseling. This can be a serious matter and not to be ignored.

Dee
    My DH is always there to support me and very helpful and understanding in my sewing, quilting and crafts. He has a real good eye for fabric and notions. Wouldn't trade him for the world. A little thing he likes is our morning coffee together. If I'm in a project he'll make dinner and call me to come and eat. We are always there for each other.

I too have a wonderfully supportive hubby. He has always had several hobbies (fishing, golf, racquetball) and for many years encouraged me to find something that I was passionate about. I tried several crafts before I decided that quilting and sewing were my passions. He has helped me with my sewing room and supports my purchases enthusiastically. Each of us having our own hobbies gives us "me time" without either feeling neglected. Hubby has been gone on an extedned 14 day fishing trip with buddies and I have done nothing but sew, sew, sew! It's a win-win for both of us.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast