Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

My DH is my motivater when it comes to sewing. If I am using my Embroidery machine he is right there watching it. After a while he will say "That still amazes me" and I will tell him that I have been doing it for several years and it still amazes me!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Owl Gray
    Today is my fiftieth. My husband runs, golfs, reads, and does a great deal around the house. When he wants to chat he gets my attention.
    He's why I am able to quilt. He's why I am.
    Happy Anniversary!! :D

All I can add is " congratulaions " to all of you who have these wonderful men in your life.
    To the others whose husbands are negative, mentally abusive, non-supportive...please, either get help or get out...time will neither improve your situation nor change him. I had one of those; after more than 37 years of marriage, I became a widow more than ten years ago and quite frankly, my life is so good now; Living alone certainly has its drawbacks and complications, but the peace is worth it

I also have an AWESOME hubby!
    He can and does fix/make anything and everything. He convinced me to purchase the Long Arm this last April(it is so fun), he made my design wall, My sewing machine foot fell apart he fixed it. He never says a word about fabric purchases, and is very helpful with suggesting a color or help in choosing of colors when I am stumped. If I am not understanding something in direction I can usually give it to him and he will figure it out for me. He is after me now to purchase a new sewing machine, but I think I like my "OLD Kenmore"one STILL (it needs to see a Dr. though), will see what happens.
    We do Archery together, Wood Working, Gardening, yard work, have refurnished cars,actually many things. Though, he is not a "Flower Giving"( like was mentioned in an earlier post "Flowers-They just die so why" )type of guy I would not switch him for the World! (I grow my own flowers and have tons of flowerbeds.)If I mention something I need or want it's typical of him to say let's go get it, make it or something similar.
    I always try to stop sewing by the time he is home from work or shortly after and the kids have come home unless it is something that really needs to be done.
    He is Awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    I'm just so thrilled to have that wonderful man, that I try not to sew much when I have him at home. I'm very blessed that he would understand, though, if I said I'd really like to get something done. I do sit with him while he watches the occasional football game, but I hand quilt all the while. Once I get going on sewing, I hate to stop, and I would probably forget what or who was most important.

I've had my hubby for 32 years and he's a wonderfully caring and gentle man. He's a jack of all trades, he fixes cars,builds sheds and shelves(in my sewing room)and grows wonderful vegetables for us. He redid the closet in my sewing room so I'd have space for my boxes of fabric and sewing machines. I collect Featherweights(4 so far) and treadle machines. He stopped complaining about the fabric years ago. lol
    When I broke my ankle 2 months ago, found out he's a great nurse and very gentle and more patient.
    Every Spring there is a gathering of sewing machine nuts about a 100 miles away and he goes with me.
    I think I'll keep him.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnejean
    My sweet honey bunny has built me so many things for my sewing room I have lost count!! He also really understands the need for good tools (he is a carpenter)if he goes to the quilt shops with me and sees a new tool demo he will want me to buy it. I think I need him to go to one of the big quilt shows with me. Hee Hee! :-)Who knows what I would come home with.
    Jeanne,
    I love your avatar. Where can I find that pattern? Is it applique?

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Mine has a hobby - CNN. I get sick of it and have a great excuse to escape to "my room."

AMEN--most of us are very "lucky" indeed. Warren does not object to my quilting and the space it takes, with two sewing machines, this computer, bookcases, file cabinet, quilting frame in this room (he has a table desk that is entirely his) so I try to be with him when he likes it, during ball games and in the living room with his country-western music. No hobbies, but he does not resent mine. In fact, he is great in decifding who gets each quilt, outside of my family of neices, sisters, and he loves giving our towell and potholder sets I make every year, still thinking that the scrap files will be diminished.

Blog Entries
    This is such a great topic! I too have a wonderful hubby that fully supports any of my endeavors...including quilting. When I was stuck in the hospital a couple of years ago he went and bought every quilting magazine he could find so I wouldn't be bored! He is so proud of everthing that I make, especially the things I make for him. He likes to go to fabric stores with me, that way he can pick out some things that he wants, too! ;)

Blog Entries
    My is very supportive and always praises my work. Anytime I need something done in my sewing room he is always willing to help me, but I could tell that he was missing me in the evenings. So now, I make sure that I have hand work to do so I can sit and watch something with him. It's really such a small thing to keep him happy.

I made a smart remark about my husband's CNN hobby but he really is a keeper. He supports my hobb(ies), has built sewing and computer furniture and, most surprising, has bought as gifts sewing aids I didn't know existed. One of the most useful is Kelly curved forceps for grasping and pulling out stitching threads. Above all, he cooks while I sew and expresses interest and praise for my work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I've had my hubby for 32 years and he's a wonderfully caring and gentle man. He's a jack of all trades, he fixes cars,builds sheds and shelves(in my sewing room)and grows wonderful vegetables for us. He redid the closet in my sewing room so I'd have space for my boxes of fabric and sewing machines. I collect Featherweights(4 so far) and treadle machines. He stopped complaining about the fabric years ago. lol
    When I broke my ankle 2 months ago, found out he's a great nurse and very gentle and more patient.
    Every Spring there is a gathering of sewing machine nuts about a 100 miles away and he goes with me.
    I think I'll keep him.
    Sharon W.
    You, my dear, are a hoarder!! 4 featherweights??? Good grief! Spread them out!! JK!!! LOL!! Lucky you on the machines and the hubby!!! And a nursing side too?? You have it made!

Blog Entries
    Guess I'll praise my man, too. He is hobbyless, but likes watching old movies, sometimes over and over and over. He's pretty supportive of my sewing (I just began sewing in Jan of this year) and willing to help me save money by making my ironing board extension, and making a support leg for the corner of it. He's always growling to others that I've made a quilt for the grandkids but not for him! I'll get to it, but there are 5 more grandkids first!! LOL! I started my hobby because I was SOOO lonely...he'd go to the man cave and I'd be alone to watch TV or mess on the computer catching up to the kids and grandkids. I longed for something to pull us together, but unless I'm willing to move into the cave and rewatch movies, it's not going to happen, cuz he isn't going to bend and inch. So, now I've found something I really enjoy and he's just fine with it! And no more loneliness cuz I've got all of you to talk to, get advice from, etc!!

Here is where I posted the butterfly quilt. if you read down the comments I post the book and pattern .

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50177-1.htm

Happy butterfly making!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnejean
    My sweet honey bunny has built me so many things for my sewing room I have lost count!! He also really understands the need for good tools (he is a carpenter)if he goes to the quilt shops with me and sees a new tool demo he will want me to buy it. I think I need him to go to one of the big quilt shows with me. Hee Hee! :-)Who knows what I would come home with.
    Jeanne,
    I love your avatar. Where can I find that pattern? Is it applique?

After reading about your wonderful other half I have come to the conculusion I want one too. Which quilting shop sells them 'cause I haven't found one after years of searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan8
    After reading about your wonderful other half I have come to the conculusion I want one too. Which quilting shop sells them 'cause I haven't found one after years of searching.
    They usually don't come that way. It takes years of training.
    My DH and I have been married for 37 years and he just keeps getting better. :)

Blog Entries
    I don't have a husband, but
    if I did, he would have to
    allow for the messy life
    style of this quilter.

Mine built a beautiful floor and walkway into my greenhouse. You can see pictures on my blog. He's generally a pretty good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jbj137
    I don't have a husband, but
    if I did, he would have to
    allow for the messy life
    style of this quilter.
    Mine does, even when it spills over from my room. 45 years ago I was tidier (no fabric) but he has gracefully evolved with me.

I am blessed with a wonderful caring husband.
    He shares my passion for collecting antique/vintage sewing machines.
    He has a great eye for color in fabric choices.
    He's very supportive of adding to my stash, always asking if I want to visit my favorite quilt shop when we are in the area.
    He's handy and creative. He's giving and gives of himself.
    Many of my vintage machines are because he has traded his hobby items for them.
    I am most blessed for my husband.
    But most of all my husband is a Godly man. He is what he is because of God.

My husband is great too! He has built me some many things, too, not only for my sewing room but knitting looms and the list does go on. And most of all he always compliments me and likes the things I make, paint, etc. I love him so much. He is the answer to my prayer, almost 28 years ago, for a husband!!

Blog Entries
    Tell him beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is a part of your soul'

Ask him what makes his soul smile. He might be suprised at the answer.

He also installed a screen door so I can keep it open w/o the cats running in and out.

Oh gosh, I thought mine was the only one who put a screen door on for an inside door. I too have a screen door at the entrance to my studio. Keeps those little four legged creatures out of my fabric. Although one sits in front of the door and meows to get attention.

My hubby has COPD so he can't do all the things he used to do for me and is now on Hospice but is very supportive. He even gave me permission to buy the small pieces to make a quilt frame for quilting. I will store them, then after he has passed, his room will become my quilting room. His is the largest bedroom. He is great.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast