Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

My DH is also very supportive. I love to show him what I worked on while he was at work, and he always compliments it. Sometimes I even get a very random and very sincere, "You know, you're really good at that stuff," and it makes me positively beam with happiness. Nothing like making my man proud of me.

I thought it was interesting that some of you have DHs that don't have hobbies and want you to spend your time with them. When we first got married, I actually felt that way as my DH is a gamer and will spend hours playing video games. It's probably half the reason I took up quilting - so I'd have a hobby to do while he did his! Now I understand his addiction to video games, because I'm just as addicted to quilting if not more!

Now we get along very well, each of us supporting each others addictions. Yep, it's a good life for sure.

My DH is absolutely wonderful. He is so creative. When I see something I think I can use, he goes home and makes it for me. He made the miniature 15" ironing board in my Avitar. If I have a problem he invents something to help correct it. If I need a measurement, i.e. "Honey, I have a square that is 5". What size triangles do I need to place the square on point?" And after a few minutes, he comes up with the answer. But, the best part is about the fabric. If there is a sale on, he goes to the fabric store with me and when I say "Give me 2 1/2 yards", he says, "Honey, are you sure? Go ahead and get 5 yards." I thought I had died and gone to Heaven the first time he went fabric shopping with me. Thank you so much for allowing us to brag about our husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Guess I should brag on my hubby too. For one, he never complains or comments on how much I spend on fabric or sewing stuffs. But on the same hand, I don't complain on how much he spends on his fishing stuff. I'd much rather the money go to fishing and sewing stuff than drugs or alcohol. But the greatest brag is about to come.

Because of circumstances that were well out of our control at the time of our wedding, we don't really celebrate our anniversaries. Well, not like everyone else celebrates. But, on our 20th anniversary my hubby truly surprised me beyond speechless.

Hubby is not a flower sending kind of guy. His words, "the damn things just die and look ugly" but he really shocked me. He went to one of my favorite shops, bought 20 fat quarters that looked really nice together. He then took those to our local florist (a quilty friend of mine). She folded the FQ's to look like flowers and put them in an arrangment! It was drop dead gorgeous. I would post a photo but I lost the photos on a hard drive that died.

Yep, I think I'll keep him.
    That almost brought tears to my eyes, yup, he's a keeper

My hubby's hobby is reading. So, when he buys books, I get to spend that amount on quilting stuff. If he ever discovers the city library - I'm sunk! ROFL!!

My hubby is a keeper too, when my daughter moved out he stuck a post it note on the door "Veronica's sewing room", then during the hottest days of the year, he tore up the carpet, laid down bamboo flooring, painted, redid the closet and put up shelves. Then he moved all my "crap" from the basement upstairs. The post it note is still there 2 years later.

Blog Entries
    I've enjoyed this thread so much.Giving credit where it's due goes a long ways toward keeping a DH happy.Sounds to me like we do have great hubs.Thank the Lord for all of them.It sure makes for a better life.

Quote Originally Posted by fatqtrjunkie
    My hubby is a keeper too, when my daughter moved out he stuck a post it note on the door "Veronica's sewing room", then during the hottest days of the year, he tore up the carpet, laid down bamboo flooring, painted, redid the closet and put up shelves. Then he moved all my "crap" from the basement upstairs. The post it note is still there 2 years later.

Blog Entries
    He really put some thought into your gift.What a great idea,he did good :-)

Hubby is not a flower sending kind of guy. His words, "the damn things just die and look ugly" but he really shocked me. He went to one of my favorite shops, bought 20 fat quarters that looked really nice together. He then took those to our local florist (a quilty friend of mine). She folded the FQ's to look like flowers and put them in an arrangment! It was drop dead gorgeous. I would post a photo but I lost the photos on a hard drive that died.

Yep, I think I'll keep him.

I have a wonderful husband, He shops with me ,never rushes me when I am shopping .The first quilt I made was grandmothers small flower garden, I got it going and could't figure how to put it together, He did!!! He fix'es my machine if it gets out a little on stiches,ect. He builds things for me. I just told him I wanted to turn one of the bedrooms upstairs into a sewing room ( more room up there) He is going to do that for me !! He is great at " new honey doo's " He is a very kind and loving husband,

My husband helps pick out most of my colors and matches them for each quilt. He is soo good with that and I am not. He just let me get the Qbot and Inspira frame so I can finish the tops I have stacking up. He never complains about my sewing except to say that he hopes I live longer than him so he doesn't have to clean out my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    I too have an awesome DH. He has always supported me in my addiction to quilting, always plans for quilting stops whenever we go anywhere, sometimes it is a shop hop trip with only adding to my stash in mind. (In July we went for 5 days, just to quilting shops!) AND when I decided to quit smoking last November he told me I could have $3100. to buy a quilting machine and frame because he was proud of me for quiting. It doesn't matter what I need built or fixed or moved he is always more than willing to help and he thinks I need every new gadget that comes out. He truely is my enabler and I have always tried to be his also. He has several hobbies that are equally expensive as my quilting and even though he retired after 30 years from general Motors he still works at a job he loves, erecting wind turbines, just so that we have extra money for our hobbies. Oh and did I mention that he is OCD so when he is home, my house is always spotless!! sometimes too clean!!! I'm glad that this thread was started so that we can give credit where credit is due. I wouldn't trade my DH for anything,

When my DH was still around, he would grouse about how much fabric I had but still do all the handyman stuff for me. I always had handwork to do in the evening to keep him company while watching TV.

Since he passed away, two of my four sons live five minutes away from me and thanks to their dad's example, are always willing to fix, move, build or help. But I don't have to keep them company watching TV. I am blessed.

Hi, Yes I think quilter husbands are great people! One time when we were on a trip I wanted to go to a quilt store, I saw in the Travlers Companions Quilters book ( never travel without it). Well it was in Ky. near the Indiana boarder. Well it missed it and found ourselves in Indiana. So my husband suggested that we stay over night and go by and find the shop which we did. The shop, which I can't remember the name, was set up for spouses too. There was a separate area that had an over stuffed couch, a table and chairs, television, coffee and lots of newspapers, etc. It was wonderful.

I have a wonderful husband. He never minds when I'm sewing/quilting, doesn't mind if I bring home another package of fabric, is ok with my stuff all over (though he'd prefer it be put away - and I DO try!), helps with color coordination and fabric matching, placement of applique work, etc. (he really SHOULD be a quilter!). He has never built anything for me, actually gave away a cabinet I had gotten for free - was going to use it for a cutting table, but all in all - I'll keep him.

Get him involved with quilting! Small things at first, ask him to help you choose fabrics, iron or press, use a rotary cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.

My husband is a keeper. He carpeted our basement, gave up his pool table so I could use it for a cutting table. He will come down and watch me sew. Then has a work shop so that keeps him busy when he wants something to do.

When this happens I offer to go with him to the home improvement store & see what's new, etc. I get to pick up things not only for the house but have picked up some quilting tools too (on his dime !) My husband's in construction so not much gets done to help our house out- just like the shoemakers kids going without shoes (as my mom always said)
    (quote )What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
    Oh my, I feel so sorry for you. I surely do applaud your positive attitude, just don't let it stop you from doing what you love to do.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to hear more about the QBot & frame.Never heard of it.

He just let me get the Qbot and Inspira frame so I can finish the tops I have stacking up.

Today is my fiftieth. My husband runs, golfs, reads, and does a great deal around the house. When he wants to chat he gets my attention.
    He's why I am able to quilt. He's why I am.

My husband, too, is a real gem!!! He informs me when there are sales at fabric stores, yard sales, ett., he has made me a thread holder which holds 96 spools of thread for the wall, a revolving rotary mat, a sandboard, a block to put my seam ripper in so that when I assembly-line sew, I can cut them quickly, and a beautiful design board. He also made shelves in my sewing room to accommodate my fabric bolts. I had found a large cutting table from Walmart and he cleaned it up, glued on new measuring rulers. He put up a TV Stand in my room, too. Next venture is the large ironing table to fit my ironing board. He has no hobbies, either, and wants me to spend more time with him. I just keep thinking up things for him to make for my sewing room! I consider that his hobby!

I call my husband Mr. Wonderful! He only complains when I get carried away with material. He is very supportive in most anything when it comes to Featherweights. I currently have 5 Featherweights and when he sees me looking at another, he looks also and can point out some flaws I may over look. He is just "Mr. Wonderful". :P

My DH is quite happy touring LQS so long as we include "lunch" somewhere. He always attracts attention in these stores because he is usually wearing a lovely hand knitted jumper. Someone always comments on the knitting and asks if I made it and I have to confess "Oh no, I don't knit. He made it himself."

He also cross-stitches and does sashiko of an evening while I have some hand-sewing to do in front of the T.V. together.

If I have machine sewing to do in my sewing room, he changes the T.V. over to car racing which I hate to watch.

We are both happy!

My husband came to my rescue last year. I ran out of material while making table runners for Christmas gifts. The store I had purchased the material from was out. So he
    drove me to several different stores in town, even taking me
    to other towns in search of the material I had to have to
    complete my project. He waited in each store while I did my search. (the weather was cold and nasty) Can't get any better than that. I'm so thankful for my husbands support
    in my quilting projects. Betty Lee

My hubby, Rich is the best. He never asks how much I spend on my quilting, sewing or other hobbies. He loves to see my projects. Just this last July he attended the Sisters 35th Outdoor Quilt Show with me. We are going next year....his suggestion. In fact, he said that we need to spend a couple of more days next year than we did this year. He never complains when I want to stop at quilt shops while we are on vacation. When we start the day he will ask if there are any quilt, craft or Christmas shops on our agenda for the day. I've had him for over 37 years and I do believe he's a keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilu-Mi
    Hi, Yes I think quilter husbands are great people! One time when we were on a trip I wanted to go to a quilt store, I saw in the Travlers Companions Quilters book ( never travel without it). Well it was in Ky. near the Indiana boarder. Well it missed it and found ourselves in Indiana. So my husband suggested that we stay over night and go by and find the shop which we did. The shop, which I can't remember the name, was set up for spouses too. There was a separate area that had an over stuffed couch, a table and chairs, television, coffee and lots of newspapers, etc. It was wonderful.
    Mine did that for me once (actually more than once, but for this story...) We drove off the interstate nearly 18 mi, then all around an average sized city, finally found the street --- no shop! Not even a neighbor store to ask about it. Finally got thru on the phone (# had been busy for 20+min) & got a recording that the shop had closed!! :-( GRR-RRRRRR!!!!!! The best part, was DH didn't complain anymore than I did! LOL We're always a little leary now when the shop is in QTC too far off our route. Now we call first just to make sure! :thumbup:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast