Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

Blog Entries
    In every family I think you have a saver and a spender. My hubby is a spender he went with me to the fabric store and I saw something that was out of my price range he offer to buy it for me. But it would have may it very tight at the end of the mouth. So I have to put my foot down and say no thank you. He will builds any I ask him to. An believe me his honey to do list is long.

I too, have a DH, but he stills has his moments. At the moment I am lucky enough that he is gone during the week, so I can quilt/sew as much as I like. That way when he is home on the weekends, we spend time together doing other stuff. So it's been working.
    Now, as of this past Saturday, the house has sold, so we've been looking for a "our" new house with a quilting room, but to also include a garage with a small shop area.
    He really doesn't have a hobby, but I am working on that. He was married to his late wife for 29 years, and she did some crocket and cross-stitch. But these were things that she could sit in the livingroom while he watches TV. I can't just sit and watch TV, so I go down to my room and design and create quilts and clothes. And my room also includes a TV, VCR and DVD. So on occassion he'll join me while I sew.
    He likes the results, special when I make him a new western shirt. So there is always room for some give and take. We've been married 3 years now and I think he has started thinkin about making sure the new house has that special room........or it would be a disaster in the dining or livingroom and possibly the garage. Anyway as life goes on, I still have time for some training...............

Blog Entries
    My DH is very supportive of my quilting also. He is a graphics professional and gives me some very good advice. He will be taking pictures for me for this board in the IRR III that I am doing.

Like many others, my DH is very supportive of my sewing and quilting also. If it weren't for his woodworking skills, I would still be sewing on an old retro kitchen table, with all my fabric in cardboard boxes. This winter we are planning a kitchen remodel, so that means, with a lot of help from DH & DSs, a few of the old cabinets will make their way to my sewing room! Two new rooms for the price of one!!! Yay!

WE ARE A LUCKY BUNCH AREN'T WE!?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    ABSOLUTELY !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    ABSOLUTELY !!!!
    I agree too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    That would get me so frustrated I wouldn't enjoy his company at all and he would know it.

Rapture,

You got me so tickled with the "Big Boy Britches". LOL

He loves to work outside, so that helps in the summer. The winter time is really the worst. He will drive you bananas if he can't go outside to work. He doesn't read, doesn't like watching TV or movies unless I am sitting with him, and really and truly has no hobby at all. I understand about the negative comments. Mine does the same thing. It is like they know they are being mean, but do it any way. And mine will never say he is sorry.

Now on the other hand, I know he will do just about anything for me and he told my mom that I am his angel. Go figure. :)

Vanessa

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.

I say teach him to quilt! He might love it and it'd be something you guys can do together!!!

Hubby had a 3 day weekend last week-I had the usual 2. He totally cleaned the kitchen, cleand the pot shelves and everything on them, my knook of shelves in the hall and all the junk on them, cleaned the pond, pulled some weeds, fixed the water line and did I mention he cleaned every window inside and out?! I mopped the floors and sewed both days. Life is great!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself?
    I broke mine in from day one. "You want breakfast?" Let me show you where the kitchen is. "You want to eat lunch?" Do you not remember where the kitchen is? lol

No, seriously - Pat had issues with me knitting when we were first married and his argument was "you are paying attention to your knitting - not me." Actuall, I was knitting, watching TV, and carrying on a conversation while not letting dinner burn. So I stopped knitting and became the most attentive B**** you can imagine. After a few days he begged me to knit again.

Now he has his own hobby (Astronomy) but more times than none he will sit with me in the sewing room for company.

My Husband and I are both retired. But he had been retired a while when we got married He retired at 43 and his first wife died 42 days after they both retired. So he was use to being by himself when we got married. I was still working and he kept on me to retire so I did. He has lots of hobbies hunting,fishing,golf,and reading. but he watches T.V. the rest of the time every thing on the Civil War he can find. I didn't have a hobby but decided I wanted to quilt borrowed a machine from my SIL and the he bought me one for Christmas. Then I decided I wanted an Embroidery Machine he got me one, them I just had to have a serger he got me that for Christmas. Redid the dining room to make me a sewing room and the rest is History. But it does bother him when I don't spend some time with him so I am working on that. All in All he is a great catch and I wouldn't trade him for anyone else for any amount.

My hubby is not handy, and is the first one to remind me of that - but has never complained about the money spent on my hobby, and will gladly tag along to Menards when I want to build something for myself. He looks at tools for his tractors, while I wander through wood/paint/flooring/whatever.

My hubby is the best, he has made me a big board ironing board, he put up peg board in my sr and now putting shelves up. He helps me with my machines when they go haywire, he always fixes them for me. He will wait patiently in the car when I see a quilt shop I just need to visit,he never complains about how much I spend. This would of been the week for him to do it! We were on vacation and I did spend!!! Yep, the best he is, but I wish he would get a hobby especially for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    My husband is a saint. The quilting he appreciates and puts up with , but he also married into my dog rescue.

Last night, I came home with 6 more puppymill dogs. There is mud everywhere, and frightened dogs. He helped me bathe them, and held each one for a little while.

I know that he'll come home from lunch today and do the mid day mopping, because I have to work in an office today instead of at home.

It's raining here, and the new scared dogs keep going outside, where there are no people (just lots of wet mud) and with 15 dogs in the house temporarily (until some of the new ones go to their foster homes) it's a giant mess.
    I think you are both saints for helping the doggies. I wish I could do something like that.

[quote raptureready] And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.[quote]

Raptureready:
    Your Dh is in serious need of therapy, he needs to get some self confidence so that he can be nicer. It worked for me, it was lots of hard work. My family tells me that I'm not the crabby,nasty witch I used to be. My therapist told me that my bad childhood(lots of abuse) caused me to act the way I did.

Oh my goodness Raptureready, I'm so sorry that your husband would say such a thing. I agree that he may need some thereapy.

Banned
    Isn't it wonderful to have a hubby that's a great "do-it-yourselfer"! Mine can literally fix anything! Electrical, mechanical, build anything.....
    Which I thought was really fantastic!!

Then one day I heard my youngest GD,(she was 8 at the time) overheard her telling my MIL that she "felt sorry for Grandma because she never gets anything new!"

(lol...through the eyes of a child)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    My husband is a saint. The quilting he appreciates and puts up with , but he also married into my dog rescue.

Last night, I came home with 6 more puppymill dogs. There is mud everywhere, and frightened dogs. He helped me bathe them, and held each one for a little while.

I know that he'll come home from lunch today and do the mid day mopping, because I have to work in an office today instead of at home.

It's raining here, and the new scared dogs keep going outside, where there are no people (just lots of wet mud) and with 15 dogs in the house temporarily (until some of the new ones go to their foster homes) it's a giant mess.
    You remind me of my dear departed friend. She was a dog rescuer, and a sewer, also! Her hubby also made her sewing tables, cutting tables, bookshelves, etc! What a prince!!

Blog Entries
    I'll brag on my DH too, then have him read it...he'll grin from ear to ear,then ask why I talk to those strangers. LOL He's not into computers at all, couldn't turn one on,but he has the biggest heart.There's nothing he won't do or help with.He's retired & still finds ways to keep busy.he's our gardener,lawn upkeep guy,flower & tree planter.There's not much he can't fix & did just that today.
    My sewing machine had a thread caught in the uptake arm. He took the head cover off, plucked it out & said all he wants is an ice cream sundae :-)
    You'd never know when he"s been inside.He takes care of his own stuff & always does any dishes he finds....when I'm gone.Being retired, he looks for work.I've came home to find windows washed or floors cleaned...whatever.He's one of a kind & I'm so glad he's mine.

My DH is my enabler. He is so great! Supports my quilting "habit" (addiction;-) ). Encouraged me to get my first Bernina. When I said it would be easier to quilt if my machine was level with the table, he modified an old sewing machine cabinet, even installed a lift system so I can bring it up above cabinet top level when I embroider or use the free arm for sleeves, etc. Not too long ago he came home with 6 half yards of bright jewel toned fabrics cause he liked the colors and thought I needed some brights in my stash. AND he has taken a liking to vintage machines, so after lurking on the board soaking up all the pics and neat new tools I might need, he joined the board. Yep he is definitely a keeper!! Hurray for supportive hubbies!!!!!!...Oh, did I mention he cooks ??? :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Does he have a brother, JustMe2???? LOL!

Blog Entries
    We do have some great hubbies! Mine is very supportive when I want to go and quilt. I can usually get a lot done when he is working on the weekends. He has even been patient when I have been in a quilt store roaming around, never says a word. :-)

Blog Entries
    He's one of a kind LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    Does he have a brother, JustMe2???? LOL!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast