Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: We have some great husbands!

Blog Entries
    God bless you and your family for caring for the dogs. I wish I had room to do that but I think my husband would divorce me (hahah). We did adopt two dogs from our local animal shelter and another one who was on her way there, ll within 3 weeks. At this point we have 4 dogs and 4 cats. We are also caring for two dogs that are having medical problems. One of those gogs just went home this weekend and the other dog will be with us for a couple of more weeks.

As far as quilting, my husband is fantastic. He helped me put my sewing room together (several times), he goes to all sizes of quilting shows where he gets me into trouble more than I get myself in trouble shopping my myself. He wishes he could buy me a quilting machine so I don't have to pay some one else to finish my quilts. I told him I am happy with what I already have.

God Bless him as well.

Blog Entries
    Go for it!

That's a nice story, Annya. How lovely to have one of the dolls that they made.

Our nephew's college girlfriend finished school in June and just went home to Australia where she plans to stay. So it looks like he'll be heading to your part of the world soon.

Regards from New Jersey USA.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa
    Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.
    I am so sorry you have a husband that lashes out, what you need to do is treat him for one or two days the way he treats you, It will be a eye opener for him. God bless. Penny

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My hubby is great to, on top of taking over all the house chorice when I became disablied. he helps me in any way he can. I can't afford to buy anything, but when someone sends something to me, fabric,thread,batting,books. I share with him, and Like me he can not beleive all you wonderful people. I had a mini stroke last Sunday, and its muddled my brain some, so when I was putting together my grandsons jean quilt, I asked him to help me decide on what shades of jean and wear. He lets me no what he likes or dislikes, and he is very suportive of me, he does not make me anything, but he is there for me. God bless

I'd either attempt to help him discover a hobby or try to get him involved with mine. Maybe he can help you sort fabrics or threads or organize your room, or send him to Home Depot or Lowes to get you some fabulous shelving that he can install and feel that he is helping (and he will be). In turn, you decide how much time you are willing to give just to him. Does he like the movies or taking walks with you or BBQing? My compromise is that my hubby LOVES and I mean LOVES football. So I hand quilt and applique while I "watch the games" with him. I also keep up with his fantasy football team since he works a lot of Sundays.

Blog Entries
    My husband is a gift from God. He supports my quilting hobby. He has converted a closet in the guest room and made custom shelves for my crafts. In several occasions, he has taken a sample of fabric to the quilt store and purchased it for me. Oh, happy day.

My dh is very supportive and I am very grateful. He sents me to visit my cousin every year and to go to the quilt show. I can't wait to go in Nov. I am a blessed woman.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Vanessa, he needs a hobby!!! It's a shame he can't just do something independently while you do. We all need our own space sometimes. That's what I would tell him, really.
    I can't give anyone my undivided attention all the time. Did that when my kids were little, now done!
    Susan,

You are so right. I wish I could be more assertive when it comes to this. I try to quilt when he is at work too. He only works part-time now and I work full-time. I do love it when I can get some me time but that doesn't happen to often. I will have to work harder on being assertive.

Vanessa
    Vanessa, perhaps you can get him to help with the quilting, choosing colors, patterns or helping you cut fabric. Who knows he might even get into quilting. Does he do any type of wood work? Let him know you need some quilt wall hangers, or peg boards or a cabinet or something that will help out. This may get him into a new hobby and allow you to enjoy yours. Just some thoughts. I would go crazy if my DH wanted all of my attention. He has always been supportive.

He is most welcome to visit if he is in my area ant time with his girl friend, I live in South East Queensland an hour from Brisbane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    My hubby is great to, on top of taking over all the house chorice when I became disablied. he helps me in any way he can. I can't afford to buy anything, but when someone sends something to me, fabric,thread,batting,books. I share with him, and Like me he can not beleive all you wonderful people. I had a mini stroke last Sunday, and its muddled my brain some, so when I was putting together my grandsons jean quilt, I asked him to help me decide on what shades of jean and wear. He lets me no what he likes or dislikes, and he is very suportive of me, he does not make me anything, but he is there for me. God bless
    Penny so sorry to hear about your recent stroke, prayers and blessings going your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    My hubby is great to, on top of taking over all the house chorice when I became disablied. he helps me in any way he can. I can't afford to buy anything, but when someone sends something to me, fabric,thread,batting,books. I share with him, and Like me he can not believe all you wonderful people. I had a mini stroke last Sunday, and its muddled my brain some, so when I was putting together my grandsons jean quilt, I asked him to help me decide on what shades of jean and wear. He lets me no what he likes or dislikes, and he is very supportive of me, he does not make me anything, but he is there for me. God bless
    Penny so sorry to hear about your recent stroke, prayers and blessings going your way.
    Ditto for me too, my mum has been suffering stroke for a while now and I think she will be lucky to see the new year in.

My DH is very supportive. He's thrilled that I have found something that I enjoy as much as I used to enjoy gardening when we lived in the Northeast. We moved to SE Arizona several years ago and gardening isn't much of an option other than some raised beds for my mini-roses and herbs. I discovered quilting through a friend at work and have been obsessed ever since! My DH is very proud of the quilts I make and takes quite an interest in my new-found hobby! We will celebrate our 27th anniversary this Friday (9/17). I am very blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    My DH is very supportive. He's thrilled that I have found something that I enjoy as much as I used to enjoy gardening when we lived in the Northeast. We moved to SE Arizona several years ago and gardening isn't much of an option other than some raised beds for my mini-roses and herbs. I discovered quilting through a friend at work and have been obsessed ever since! My DH is very proud of the quilts I make and takes quite an interest in my new-found hobby! We will celebrate our 27th anniversary this Friday (9/17). I am very blessed.
    Happy Anniversary!!! We have been married 40 years and it seems like just yesterday that we got married.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    Happy Anniversary!!! We have been married 40 years and it seems like just yesterday that we got married.
    Yes Happy Anniversary, We celebrated our 40th on Aug. 22, and it seems like only a short while, not 40 but then our oldest is 38 yrs. old and that hardly seems possible either. I seems like only yesterday that she was just a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    We have been married 40 years too last February so I wish you both a Happy Anniversary too.My eldest daughter celebrates heer 40th Birthday on 12th November And her 10th Wedding Anniversary a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Mine also I prayed for your healing last night. We all know when we get a cut that the body was designed to heal itself. Remember "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" May God be with you in a special way. Gail

MNM

penny was it a TIA that you had. I just had one and am doing pretty good. I had to take off weight and get my sugar under control. If you don't do some life changes they tell me it will be a bigger stroke next. That really scared me. Please take good care of yourself, MNM

My hubby is pretty good about it most of the time. He knows I need it like he needs his video games--which is where I am fortunate--If he is not watching football, soccer, baseball, hockey, or basketball then he has an original Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation 2 and an XBOX plus games for the computer. I work full time so when I come home he has dinner ready, we eat and watch a program until sports--then I go down and sew. He also has a far better eye at putting fabrics together than I do.

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.
    My grandmother taught my grandfather how to cut out quilt pieces from templates after he retired. He did that while watching TV. My favorite quilt is one that he cut out and she pieced!

[quote=Slow2Sew]

Does he have a good friend that he could schedule some time with or get together with ? Maybe you could encourage him to spend time with his friend(s) or even start a hobby with him that he could continue with on his own. Maybe he has something that he has always wanted to do that you could encourage him to try. If all else fails, you could sit him down and gently explain to him that you love him, but it isn't healthy to be together constantly, and you need some time to sew/quilt/whatever by yourself. If you are both in the house, but doing seperate things, then you could meet for lunch or take a break together. My husband and I do that on the week-ends when he is home and in the workshop and I am downstairs sewing. It's fun-kind of like dating again!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    I am blessed with a wonderful caring husband.
    He shares my passion for collecting antique/vintage sewing machines.
    He has a great eye for color in fabric choices.
    He's very supportive of adding to my stash, always asking if I want to visit my favorite quilt shop when we are in the area.
    He's handy and creative. He's giving and gives of himself.
    Many of my vintage machines are because he has traded his hobby items for them.
    I am most blessed for my husband.
    But most of all my husband is a Godly man. He is what he is because of God.
    Mine, too! Amen!

I think that my husband is the best.(I'm sure each of you would argue & say your's is the best.)

5 yrs. ago my husbands L5 disk went out & he was in a lot of pain. He could not sit or lay on his back. He could only lay on his stomach or stand. After much theripy & the pain was retreating he wanted to be productive. He figured that he could cook while standing. He now cooks all of our meals.

21/2 yrs ago as DFL was dying & DML'S Alzheimers took hold I began spending a lot of time taking care of them. (By Feb. 09 I was spending 10-12 hours a day with them.) My Wonderful DH just picked up the slack. He did the laundry, went Gro. shopping,& made sure all of DS's school things were taken care of.(DS cleans the kitchen & bathroom.)In March of 09 I lost my DFL & DF. (DF was only sick 2 weeks) & in June we found a great assisted living facility for my DML.

DH still does all the cooking & gro shopping. DS still cleans kitchen & bath.(Now he's 17 & I don't even have to take him anywhere any more!) I do laundry & hire someone to clean the rest of the house. This gives me more time to quilt. Pretty good for a stay at home Mom.

DH is always supportive of any Quilting that I do. He gets a kick out of how excited I get about colors; designs; gadgets; fabrics & sewing machines.

So... I think he's the BEST! :-D

Hi ladies,

Mine is totally a keeper..... since taking up quilting, about 8 - 10 months ago, DH has bought me a Horizon Machine (I already had a Janome 4900QC and a Brother 4000D), a Gracie II Frame, EQ7 and a Accuquilt Go... he also suggested that I take over the dining room as a sewing room and moved the table out and my frame and machines in. He has taken me to all the major quilt shows and never moans about what I spend on fabric and notions..... and he just really encourages me in whatever I do.

I also love to cross stitch and have about 10 lifetimes worth of kits, fabrics and threads, but he never moans.

He just encourages and tells me whatever I make is wonderful.

I love him dearly!

Hugs

Blog Entries
    This is a long post but it would not be right if I did not do a little bragging of my own. It was my 43 rd b day last wed. and my hubby took me to the sew and vac store and bought me the Janome 6500 with table and a binding tool to go with it. He is always praising my work and encouraging me if he has not seem me sewing in a couple of days. He is a total enabler and I love him dearly.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast