Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We have some great husbands! >

We have some great husbands!

We have some great husbands!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I love reading about all the wonderful husbands that help build stuff, fix stuff and make quilting easier for all of us. My hubby stayed up late fixing the timing on my older Singer Stylist. It's my favorite machine and I was worried about sending her away for fixing. He got on line and did some research and now she sews better than before! I'm so impressed by how supportive and helpful he is!
I have to say, I don't brag on my hubby often enough.
He isn't interested in my fabrics, or my books, and he doesn't know how to fix my machines, but he did build me shelves for my sew-cave, let me buy gobs of fabric, and has bragged about things I have made, so I'm gonna keep him anyway ;)
Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnejean
My sweet honey bunny has built me so many things for my sewing room I have lost count!! He also really understands the need for good tools (he is a carpenter)if he goes to the quilt shops with me and sees a new tool demo he will want me to buy it. I think I need him to go to one of the big quilt shows with me. Hee Hee! :-)Who knows what I would come home with.
Probably a lot more than you are imagining! It's great to have supportive husbands who may not understand it in the least, but know how important it is to us. My hubby never complains about how much I spend or how much stash I have or why I just have to have this particular item. In turn, his life is much easier I'm sure, and he enjoys football ALL DAY Sunday with little interruption cuz guess what, I can applique and join him!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I love reading about all the wonderful husbands that help build stuff, fix stuff and make quilting easier for all of us. My hubby stayed up late fixing the timing on my older Singer Stylist. It's my favorite machine and I was worried about sending her away for fixing. He got on line and did some research and now she sews better than before! I'm so impressed by how supportive and helpful he is!
Is that the 457 model? I f it is, I also have it and also love it. Mine was given to me by my husband in around 1967. She has only been in the shop twice in all that time. That's a good machine !
Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
WE ARE A LUCKY BUNCH AREN'T WE!?
Very very lucky ! After 55 yrs he's still there for me supporting me in all my various hobbies. Builds shelves, drives me to different places to buy supplies, etc. He also takes me out to dinner ( out of his personal savings, when I;m down in the dumps when he could spend it on himself.....almost never does that. He has his own hobbies and we sometimes share tools and other gadgets. Couldn't live without him !!! Wish all women could be so fortunate. Guess we'll let the man upstairs make those decisions.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
Hubby and I have been married 33yrs. He is an alcoholic and has never supported anything I do. Never has a kind word about anything and is always negative. He wants to know every penny I spend, every place I go and every person I talk to. NOT HAPPENING. I don't smoke, drink, use drugs or cheat.. I went to co-dependence classes and learned that I didn't have to react to his actions. I taught my sons to play ball, change oil in a car etc. and I do all the handiwork around the house including remodeling the house my sons rent from me. His free time is spent by himself drinking or in front of the TV passed out. He is a diabetic with stage 4 cirrhosis and is completely happy being miserable. PLEASE don't feel sorry for me. I pretty much do as I please and have been known to tell him to put on His Big Girl panties and deal with it. Life sews on. :)
Here's a great BIG hug ! Not because I feel sorry for you but because I am so proud of you ! Love your attitude. Living with an alcoholic is not a good life, my dad was one so I understand, but I still loved him. He was a wonderful person when sober.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM

Hubby and I have been married 33yrs. He is an alcoholic and has never supported anything I do. Never has a kind word about anything and is always negative. He wants to know every penny I spend, every place I go and every person I talk to. NOT HAPPENING. I don't smoke, drink, use drugs or cheat.. I went to co-dependence classes and learned that I didn't have to react to his actions. I taught my sons to play ball, change oil in a car etc. and I do all the handiwork around the house including remodeling the house my sons rent from me. His free time is spent by himself drinking or in front of the TV passed out. He is a diabetic with stage 4 cirrhosis and is completely happy being miserable. PLEASE don't feel sorry for me. I pretty much do as I please and have been known to tell him to put on His Big Girl panties and deal with it. Life sews on. :)
I do know how you feel, my mum and stepfather went through a stage that when they were drunk and fighting they would hit each other over the head with2 large full bottles of beer. In those days beer came home 2 in a bag. My husband drinks beer but nothing like that. This morning I asked if he could perhaps find me some ply a certain size out of the shed (When he was ready) He went out and sorted out a big piece and told me to measure what I need, he cut it right away. Now I am trying to get the bend out of it before I make a pressing board for my sewing room. He does things like that, it is annoying when I am trying to fix up the sewing room, I did appreciate him doing it. With my osteo-arthritis in my back, it has been very sore again lately. Moving all the book, cupboards etc.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM

One year one of the big shows sold "Quilter's Hero" t-shirts. I bought one for my husband right away. When he was able to walk without difficulty he'd go to shows with me and actually LOOK AT the quilts on display. We'd discuss our likes and dislikes. He's helped me pick out fabric, patiently holding different combinations so I could see what worked the best. When I come home from a show or fabric shop he takes an interest in what I've purchased. He likes to see what I'm working on. He's been totally supportive and encouraging. Even tho he's not able to shop like he used to, every Christmas I find a few fat quarters in my stocking. As far as my husband and my quilting, I couldn't ask for more.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM

To "Verna in So Cal" on page 9 --- HELLO! I'm not used to seeing another Verna, I'm usually the only one. Did you buy a good supply of Moda's Verna fabric line?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
Here's a great BIG hug ! Not because I feel sorry for you but because I am so proud of you ! Love your attitude. Living with an alcoholic is not a good life, my dad was one so I understand, but I still loved him. He was a wonderful person when sober.
You go girl. Been there myself. Haven't had a drink since July29, 1988. Take care of yourself. A drunk won't change until they hit bottom, end up in jail or dead. You'll be in my prayers.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
To "Verna in So Cal" on page 9 --- HELLO! I'm not used to seeing another Verna, I'm usually the only one. Did you buy a good supply of Moda's Verna fabric line?
I too am not used to seeing VERNA except where it comes to my Grandparents and their doll making in the 1940's they called their company "Verna" after my grandfather Vernon. both have passed now and I am lucky to have one of their original dolls in my collection of over 600 assorted dolls.