Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM

After reading a history about some old quilts I found out that the Rose of Sharon was traditionally given to the new couple. I am making a whole cloth quilt for my niece's wedding this summer. I think there is so much to choose from, do one you like and do well. Our brides are giving a nod to tradition, but twisting it to fit themselves. We have gotten so used to White wedding gowns but they have only come in fashion more recently. I understand there was an embargo on fabric so (Europe?) had to make do with their plain old white fabric. After that it became a tradition!
Originally Posted by Damkina
Hello All, :-D
Yes, my son is in the military, and I thank God that he has come safely home to us from Afghanistan a few weeks ago.

Well, I might have to toss a coin to decide which quilt lol because I love so many of your ideas, and I have come across this beauty after the Double Irish Chain was suggested...

http://www.westcoastmccsale.org/Double_irish.jpg

I think it's absolutely beautiful. Do you think it would look just as pretty in a dusky pink, a pale pink (maybe floral) and cream on cream? And does anyone know what the Star is called in the centre, or where there may be a pattern for this online?

Also (and here is my dilema) I have been offered the loan of the plastic templates for the Double Wedding Ring Quilt.

:? Which one? I'm wanting to go fabric hunting for it next weekend, so I can dither for a few more days.
Joanne
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
First let me say CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why but I am partial to a Double Irish Chain for a wedding quilt. I think it looks classic, and it is EAST PESSIE to make. ;) ;) ;) Plus you only use 3 fabrics so you have your pink and 2 others. you can't get much easier then that and they look SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO beautiful. The only time I would make a DIC would be for a wedding quilt. And the only wedding quilt I would make would have to be a DIC.
Congratulations!
My daughter was married last fall and I am making the double irish chain for her. I will be quilting special stencils in the empty places, and I love the classic look.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 PM

HI !
SEVERAL YEARS AGO I PURCHASED TEMPLATES OF THE DOUBLE WEDDING RING THAT HAS BOTH THE TRADITIONAL MULTI PIECED RINGS AND ALSO SOLID RINGS. THE TEMPLATES WERE FROM --I THINK---MARTI MITCHELL I HAVE SINCE MANAGED ( THROUGH SEVERAL MOVES ) TO LOSE THE INSTRUCTION SHEET....BUT JUST AN IDEA; THE SOLID RINGS ARE REALLY LOVELY; I MADE ONE USING THE VALENTINE PRINTS---ROMANTIC ! NO PHOTO---IT HAS BEEN LONG GONE FROM ME
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Karo
HI !
SEVERAL YEARS AGO I PURCHASED TEMPLATES OF THE DOUBLE WEDDING RING THAT HAS BOTH THE TRADITIONAL MULTI PIECED RINGS AND ALSO SOLID RINGS. THE TEMPLATES WERE FROM --I THINK---MARTI MITCHELL I HAVE SINCE MANAGED ( THROUGH SEVERAL MOVES ) TO LOSE THE INSTRUCTION SHEET....BUT JUST AN IDEA; THE SOLID RINGS ARE REALLY LOVELY; I MADE ONE USING THE VALENTINE PRINTS---ROMANTIC ! NO PHOTO---IT HAS BEEN LONG GONE FROM ME
That sounds like the one I have, it's omnigrid, the name of the quilter was Shar Jorgensen. Marti Mitchell has put out a lot of templates, so she could have one too. Mine are pink, and if you want a scrappy look you cut out 1 long piece, and then cut them into smaller pieces with the other templates. If you want to make the rings in 1 color then you use a different template. She reccomended graded fabric, it looks very nice like that.
I found a copy of the front of the kit here it is.
http://www.prymdritz.com/brands/show...?ITEM_NUM=2257
If you need directions etc. from the booklet let me know I still have mine.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm just online for a quick visit for the first time in ages and to say "Hello" that I haven't forgotten all you wonderful people. :D Family and actual quilting have taken up all my free time recently. I will get back to chatting soon.

But... the Wedding Quilt plan has all be changed as my son arrived home for a couple of days and brought along my future DIL for the afternoon and a family dinner.

Out of the blue, she asked if I'd thought about their quilt or decided on a design. When I said that I'd thought about it... a LOT but not made a final descision. :-D my son asked if I would mind if they could pick it themselves instead.

:shock: Delighted!! Go right ahead!!

Ok, they spent over two hours with their heads together going through my books, rummaging through my stash, photos of the quilts I've already made, magazines, printouts and DVDs.

They both agreed and kept going back to one in particular. The new Red Rooster 'Heart and Soul' quilt and fabric. They love it.

Now I have to try and find the fabric somewhere in the UK, (any help appreciated)... and find a way to arrange the blocks on the online pattern to make the quilt bigger.

Thank you everyone for all your imput... in a way I'm really happy that they've took the bull by the horns and made the choice themselves... I just hope it mine turns out as lovely as they saw in the advert picture.

Joanne
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM

I have made wedding quilts for my two sons who have gotten married and I let my DIL pick out the pattern and fabric..it lets them be a part of the making quilt process..
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltersew
I have made wedding quilts for my two sons who have gotten married and I let my DIL pick out the pattern and fabric..it lets them be a part of the making quilt process..
I always let the bride pick out the fabric colors and if they want to pick the pattern together they get to. So far it's worked out pretty well since the bride does most of the decorating.