Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHARISMAH WEDDING RING STAR QUILT! I HAVE MADE 3 OF THE TRADITIONAL ONES AND THEY ARE A CHALLENGE
Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Joanne, Congratulations. I truly believe that what ever you decide on they will love. Maybe use colors that you know your future daughter-in-law likes or perhaps what color they would like for their home. Planning a wedding is such fun. I take it your son is in the military - may GOD bless and keep him safe.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I just made one using Eleanor Burns method and it was very easy.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18716.jpe  
Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM

wishiwerequilting mentioned quiltsmart. Here's the link www.quiltsmart.com. You buy printed interfacing and make little tubes. They will sell you a book, a couple templates and the interfacing. I've been working on my DWR for a few years this way... my slowness isn't due to the quiltsmart, I've had a few intervening problems due to procrastination and periodic lack of money. But I think it's a good way to go and probably more reliable than the old-fashioned ways (although I like to attempt the old fashioned-ways too). And nobody will know it's not done the old way, unless you tell them (and most likely they won't care).
Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Mom made me a huge king size wedding ring quilt when she was 70 years old. All cut, pieced and quilted by hand. She also made my batchlor brother one. (?) One right behind the other.
Now my granddaughter is getting married May 22, I found out last Sunday. I've got to get started. I'm going to do a version of the Log Cabin. Got to keep it simple a her big brother will need one soon, also. I do hope I have enough blue fabric. Silvia
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Several years ago I made a Bargello quilt (king size) for my daughters wedding quilt. She and my son-in-law didn't care what pattern I used as long as they got a quilt from me for their wedding.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Congratulations Mum! I have made a double wedding ring, and it is somewhat difficult...lots of curved piecing, and depending on the setting, some patterns are harder than others. My DIL asked me to make it after they had been married about 2 yrs.
It took me another 2 yrs to get it made, and soon after that, they split up. She still has it (I think), she is the mother of my dear grandaughter...what are you going to do?
You might look for the single wedding ring pattern, it looks like regular piecing...not curved piecing, and should be easier to make.

Sue
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM

I think there other patterns that would be good for wedding quilts, and yes, the double wedding ring can be difficult but they can be done. I restitched all the seams of a top my mother made back in 1916 and then quilted it. I treasure it. I made one for my grandsons wedding last year and did it all by hand. You have to be precise when you cut out the pieces and careful piecing or they will pucker in places. If I had it to do over I would pick out a different pattern.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 AM

I have made quilts for each of my kids when they got married and am working on the next one at the moment. I let them choose the colors and I give them half a dozen choices of patterns that I'm willing to do. I know there are traditions but for me, they are going to use and look at it so I'd want them to be happy with the pattern. So far, so good!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Congrats. My son just got engaged also. I too wanted to make a wedding quilt. It kinda scares me, so I think I'm going to make the Lover's knot quilt by Eleanor burns. it looks beautiful and a lot less complicated.