Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird offer

Don't take him up on it. The money order or cashiers check is probably fake. Stay away from any offer that will give you extra money.

Blog Entries
    You are one smart gal..... run run run.....

Blog Entries
    You are one smart gal..... run run run.....

Blog Entries
    Don't do it.

If you list them on Ebay you won't have any contact with the potential buyer. All your transactions go through ebay and paypal. It's much safer. You don't have to list as an auction item, you can list as a buy only item. This guy sounds like a cyber stalker.
    It's sad that it's so risky even to place a regular ad in a newspaper. All kinds of creeps call. Be careful!

scam. In case anyone else gets an offer like this from Craigs list.I called my local bank and they said that the person can send a check and later when you cash it,the funds are noty in their account andf you are responsible for that bad check that was given to you.There is a scam also on Money orders. It is not an honeswt world out there.

Craig's list has gone down hill and they are in hot water for all the prostatution adds that go on and scams. Sounds like they might be put out of business if they don't clean it up. This was on the news recentently. My son had 2 cars stolen by avertising for sale on craigs list.

I use craigslist often and usually get the crazies. This is what I post at the end of my description. I was selling my daughter's wedding dress and I just change that part and put whatever I am selling in its place.

**Only serious inquires. Please - we want this dress to go to someone who wants to make a wonderful lasting memory, not long term debt - I will NOT ship this dress to some foreign country, sell it sight unseen, accept money orders, or anything else the unscrupulous people try to pull. I am really a mom trying to sell this beautiful dress for my daughter - I want to be able to enjoy seeing a real future bride try it on, and get it. - All this to say - please don't even try to con me. But if you are possibly seriously interested, I will do what I can to make it work out. Blessings ****

Hope you have great success selling on craigslist.
    Blessings,
    Scherrie

do NOT even respond to this offer.....do not even give them your own email address or you will NEVER get rid of them.....been there, done that.....if it is too good to be true, it is.

Well did you see the news? We do not use Craigslist anymore. A couple was advertising a diamond ring (legitament). The people came to their home......home invasion and killed the husband. Not worth it to me..

We were scammed for the most part from there a while back. But then - a WONDERFUL man from up north came down, took the item, paid cash and said we could have gotten 3 times the amount we were asking! This was after a half a dozen guys said they really wanted it, but just couldn't make it to our area in the boonies - we finally got tired of all the crap and sold it to the man from up north. BE CAREFUL - people are out there just trying to make everyone miserable!!

Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I think emailing him and seeing if it is legit.. also if he sends money before getting them .. it would seem ok.. also when it is set up for him to pick them up.. have husband, son, neighbor and or anyone else there for security! Maybe meet outside the home./
    NO NO NO, this is a scam!
    He wants to send extra $ and if you send him the difference he then has acess to all your financial information, back account or info from your check. Delete him ASAP.
    I to had this happen to me when I posted a machine on craigslist.

Did you hear what was on the Today Show? A family listed a diamond ring for sale on Craigslist. A lady answered the ad but then came with 2 guys that tied the family up and killed the husband. Scary!!

DON"T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM/HER. This is a scam. You give them your address , and they send a Fedex or UPs with a check for a larger amount than what you are asking "Oh, just send me the extra back". They want money orders and then their check bounces at your bank. The reason they don't do mail is it would be a federal offense. Isn't sad that people can't be trusted anymore?

Blog Entries
    Do not follow through with any of this. Just last night I heard of someone being beaten after listing something on Craig's list.

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I posted the antique sewing machines I saw on Saturday at my friend's house for sale as a favor. I posted them on our local Craigslist. Today I get an e-mail from someone offering me the asking price ($100.00 each, which I think is way too much but posted that way to #1, attract only those really interested, and #2, give some room for reduction and at least get $50 for each) He wants me to send him my name, address and phone number, no PO box to send me the check without even looking at them because "he is away on a business trip" and when I get the $ he will send someone to pick them up. He will send a money order.

Even as a type this I feel that there is something coo koo about this. I am off to delete the post and block his e-mail. This is too weird.
    What am I missing? Is it the money order that's fishy? Or the fact that he wants to come pick up the machines? Or that he's willing to pay asking price? I've never sold anything on Craig's list - although I've looked at stuff - and am interested in the correct procedure!

Blog Entries
    Check this one out before you do anything. My son was selling his motorcycle and someone answered right away wanting to send him a check and someone was going to pick the bike up. Anyway, it was a scam because by the time you went to the bank with the check, the bike was gone and the check bounced and you can't find the person who wrote it. They say they're cashier's checks and look like them, but they're not what they seem. Anyway, there's a site you can check out this kind of scam. Just be careful. Wouldn't want you out your machines and the money.

I hear so many bad things about Craigslist that I don't think I'd ever use it. Just this morning on the "Today" show (NBC) there was a segment about a man that was murdered by people responding to an ad he placed on Craigslist. Seller Beware!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I posted the antique sewing machines I saw on Saturday at my friend's house for sale as a favor. I posted them on our local Craigslist. Today I get an e-mail from someone offering me the asking price ($100.00 each, which I think is way too much but posted that way to #1, attract only those really interested, and #2, give some room for reduction and at least get $50 for each) He wants me to send him my name, address and phone number, no PO box to send me the check without even looking at them because "he is away on a business trip" and when I get the $ he will send someone to pick them up. He will send a money order.

Even as a type this I feel that there is something coo koo about this. I am off to delete the post and block his e-mail. This is too weird.
    There have been lots of money order scams. Tell him you will accept ONLY a USPS money order, or a bank cashiers check and see what happens. And tell him that the person "who picks them up" can give you the money order then. Then sit back and see what happens. 60 Minutes had a show about fake money orders.

Blog Entries
    Tell them CASH only.....that will weed out the loonies... :shock:

I agree with the cash only deal.It is sad that so many people are so dishonest. They have even offered to pay me more for the inconvenience since they had to go out of town,then said that an associate would pick it up with a money order. Bull crap!! If they can pick it up with a money order,they can stop by the bank first and bring the cash in hand.

Blog Entries
    So are Ebay and Etsy better to sell things? I was thinking of doing an ad on Craigslist for services where I live, now am having second thoughts.
    I would not do the deal that the original person said was out there, it is a scam.
    I have heard of that before.

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    So are Ebay and Etsy better to sell things? I was thinking of doing an ad on Craigslist for services where I live, now am having second thoughts.
    I would not do the deal that the original person said was out there, it is a scam.
    I have heard of that before.
    I purchase on Ebay often with good results, but as with crossing the street, you are really on your own, look both ways!

Banned
    Personally I think Craigs list is a joke and full of scammers. I've done Ebay for 10 years, buying and selling with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, am looking at a new way to do income due to health problems that have popped up with my leg - arthritis and bone spurs. I can no longer climb up on step stools etc for cleaning houses. I can sew!
    I was thinking ok I can do ironing and sewing repairs - not alterations in my home as well as some other types of sewing - quilted goodies.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast