Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird offer

Why are you all so afraid of Craig's list? I have used it many times for both buying and selling and always had a great experience. There are a few scammers out there -- even on Ebay-- but if you think it is "fishy" it probably is. Just don't respond to his ad and wait for a legitimate buyer.

I put my babylock hemmer on there to sell it for $300.00 and the guy wanted it but he had to go out of town and would give me extra if I would hold it for him. The he said that he could send a man to pick it up with the money order. Needless to say,I still have the hemmer and I have never listed it again.It is like brand new if anyone is interested.

I don't think that Craigslist is a total no-no and unsafe. I know my brother-in-law does quite a bit of business with it. But you have to use your common sense about giving out personal information, meeting buyers, etc. And anything that is "off" like that (buying sight unseen) and involves a money order is something to beware of.

It sounds like a scam! Don't do it.

Kyia

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Would you be save, selling on Craigslist (or similar) if you said cash-only?

And... how DO you tell if a money order or cashier's check is fake?

As to accepting any kind of a check... you never know if the funds are actually there. And if they aren't... you are out the value of the check plus a fee from your bank, which might be around $25 these days.

The company I work for has been involved in a scam where they got a copy of our check and started buying things on Craigslist all over the country. They were sending checks for thousands of dollars to these poor people...a few called to find out why the check was from a company in Illinois and they would be shipping to California or somewhere else....its a sad thing what some people have nothing better to do but to MESS with innocent peoples lives. I agree with the others...NO GO!!!!
    Melinda

I also say no go!!

I had to cash a M/O this past weekend. The teller at our bank, rubbed it between her fingers, blew on it and wet it with her fingertip. Then asked me if I knew where the M/O was purchased. I told her our son sent it. She goes, OK and then tells me there are a lot of fake M/O out there being passed around.

Blog Entries
    Remember, just because you get a "check" and deposit it,
    then try to spend it because it is "in the bank" it still may
    not be a real check because the bank has to have time to
    find that other bank and take the money from it. Should it
    be a bogus one, you might wind up spending money that
    you didn't intend to, plus not have a sewing machine left.

Also do NOT EVER tell your home address to just anyone,
    you could meet him WITH A FRIEND OR TWO at some
    public place. That's what I did when I put an old Mac
    computer on FreeCycle, and the gentleman who met me
    complemented me on my safety...he was a retired cop!!!
    The friend with me knew him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I posted the antique sewing machines I saw on Saturday at my friend's house for sale as a favor. I posted them on our local Craigslist. Today I get an e-mail from someone offering me the asking price ($100.00 each, which I think is way too much but posted that way to #1, attract only those really interested, and #2, give some room for reduction and at least get $50 for each) He wants me to send him my name, address and phone number, no PO box to send me the check without even looking at them because "he is away on a business trip" and when I get the $ he will send someone to pick them up. He will send a money order.

Even as a type this I feel that there is something coo koo about this. I am off to delete the post and block his e-mail. This is too weird.
    Be careful. This is a scam. I have listed several higher prices items on craigslist. Everyone of these had several of these messages "I am on a business trip" "I'll send you $50 more for shipping. Give me the bank a/c where to send the check." Scam-scam. Don't respond. They will get your email address and use it for no good.

Absolutely not! He is just trying to get your address and/or phone number to locate you, hence the "no PO Box" stipulation. If he just wants to send a check, why not a PO box? I wouldn't even respond to him.

Banned
    He even offered to send an extra $50.00 if I held them for him.
    stay away from this guy and donot send him info - it can lead to identity theft.

I posted the antique sewing machines I saw on Saturday at my friend's house for sale as a favor. I posted them on our local Craigslist. Today I get an e-mail from someone offering me the asking price ($100.00 each, which I think is way too much but posted that way to #1, attract only those really interested, and #2, give some room for reduction and at least get $50 for each) He wants me to send him my name, address and phone number, no PO box to send me the check without even looking at them because "he is away on a business trip" and when I get the $ he will send someone to pick them up. He will send a money order.
    DO NOT RESPOND to this email. It's a scam. I've seen this one a hundred times. Report it as Spam if you haven't already deleted it.
    Even as a type this I feel that there is something coo koo about this. I am off to delete the post and block his e-mail. This is too weird.

He even offered to send an extra $50.00 if I held them for him.
    NO, NO, NO! Follow your own hunch. It is a scam.

Always, always, always trust your instincts. You don't need a reason.

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM DONT EVEN REPLY TO THEM I'VE HAD THE SAME TYPE OF EMAIL REPLIES WHEN I POSTED ITEMS ON CRAIG'S LIST

There are 5 pages so far...I'd say the concensus is RUN FROM THIS FRAUD...

Most likely this is his way of getting your info so someone will be able to locate your house and rob it!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY INFO!!! always trust your gut in these things, if it sounds hinky it is.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Found this blog about the scams. It wouldn't necessarily apply JUST to Craigslist; it could happen anywhere that checks or money orders are accepted as payments.

http://craigslistscammer.blogspot.co...es-to-buy.html

This isn't about home invasions/robberies, this particular scam is, as someone already mentioned, about the concept of a check written for a larger amount, and you're supposed to refund the buyer the difference. (I know someone who sold a piece of jewelry on eBay, and got taken in exactly this way.)

DO NOT answer something like this from Craigslist. I used to use it all of the time but have stopped because of all of the scams. I even add a note to anything I put up for sale that if "You are out of the country, need me to ship this to you, or have to pay by any means other than cash, do not respond." That has helped. I don't know if you saw the news this morning about the horrible killing that was the direct result of someone listing an item on Craigslist, being robbed, killed in front of his wife and two young boys. They even pistol whipped his young son. How horrible and how does a family pick up the pieces from this. Protect yourself.

maria, i got the EXACT same email when i sold my first quilter. don't do it. it's a scam.

i also just read the article posted by favorite fabrics, above, and it's the same thing with different details. i'm out of the country, i'm on business, my shipper will collect it, my men will be there, etc. i'll send a postal order, a bank check, yada, yada. they don't give up. just ignore it. if you want to bother, you can report it to the attorney general. they love this stuff. make a copy to send.

My husband buys a lot of antique car parts that way. He emails the seller, gets the phone number, talks to the seller to answer questions and then gets the address or the seller gives his address in the return email. He sends the money to the address the seller gives and then picks up the parts. Or sometimes he goes to look at the part first and pays with a check and takes it home. I guess I don't understand what is so fishy about the transaction.

your husband actually speaks to the seller. not so with the scammer. your husband doesn't say he'll send a bank check - he's willing to pay in cash up front. not true of scammers. your dh doesn't make excuses for not being able to pick stuff up himself, and say he'll send his movers. can dh call a telephone # ? also why would anyone need all that personal info? if he wants to really buy, all he needs is your phone # to begin the sale. then, the address if it sounds real.

Maride, just reading the third or fourth sentence of your post I got a funny feeling. Then I read the following five pages and knew my instinct was right. I've had no experience with Craig's list and in fact know someone who bought an apartment in New York city from CL about two years ago with no problem but now we all read more and more about all the problems. By now hope you've decided this offer isn't for you.

Follow your instincts!! To bad we have to be so careful these days.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast