Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do? >

went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do?

went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Hang in there I joined our local guild in Jan. and some of them are still a little clicky but I keep going and the more that I am there the more people talk to me. As for the show and tell I felt the same way--didn't want to bring in my simple rag quilt that I had made but DH told me to show it maybe I would inspire someone else that was afraid to show--now we have a show and tell for beginning, intermediate and advanced just takes one person to stand up for the many--I also told them the night I showed my quilt that they needed to be more welcoming to the new people--kind of put them in their place and since then it has been better
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM

There are some embroidery guilds that meet here in NH too. I have gone to my local one up here in the Lakes Region and have been welcomed there. This group seems to believe that any kind of hand sewing is a-okay.
Our quilt guild has our new members wear a certain colored ribbon (yellow, I think) on their nametags for their first year of membership and strongly encourages veteran members to reach out and welcome them.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
talk to your friend about it. because people are different, the groups they form are different. there may be an explanation for their apparent cold shoulders that turns out to make sense.

consider going one more time and then trust your instincts. if they don't lure you into the fold it will be their loss. you still have us. ;-)
good advice!
one time is not enough to know. Otherwise outgoing ppl can often be shy the first time around someone.
I get that anxiety and just plough through it by opening my mousie mouth and letting 'fly' ;-)
(I haven't always been this way...but i discovered, the most seemingly aloof, are often, just intimidated and welcome an icebreaker!) :XD:
yup, if your instincts tell you...just no chemistry...you know we're already friendly! :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM

ok, here's one more opinion. I belong to 3 guilds. The one in SC is over 100 members, but I joined when they were getting ready for a quilt show and I did a lot of volunteering. Got me familiar with a smaller group of hard workers. Love that group and still try to drive up 2.5 hrs once or twice a year for a meeting. In GA I belong to a large group 150 members and walk around feeling like an invisible woman. Then I asked were there any small bee groups. I got to be part of a brand new one of six ladies who are very artsy. Now I have that mtg, and when I go to guild, I know those girls well!! My little guild of 35 is wonderful. Very friendly right from the start... shop around and do not settle for warm snooty bodies!
Jeannie in GA
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Our guild has over 300 members, about 150 attend the monthly meeting. We have a "hostess" position who greets visitors and new members, shows them around, introduces them to some people with similar interests. We have at least a dozen small quilt groups associated with the guild and hold a social every year to help form more groups, add members to existing groups. I belong to the charity quilt group at the south end of the county (another one meets in the north) and love to get together with the 7-8 other members twice a month to make charity quilts or to cut "kits" for tops for other guild members to sew together for us. We gave away 170 quilts last year!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM

My rule of thumb when I go to anything new is to go three times. To give it a fair chance. Then if I still do not feel welcome, then I find a new group then I feel that I gave it a fair chance, and it just was not a good fit for me. Sometimes the members are feeling you out also to see if you are a good fit for their group. Go to your local fabric stores and put up some fliers and see if some other sewers have similar interests to yours and start your own group. You will be surprised. It will grow quickly. Give it a chance. Quiltin Queenie
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM

God, I hate to see these kind of Posts!!!! Tell you what, move to Dayton, Texas and join our group!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Yes, the same happened to me, after a year it was still the same, it was a waste of my time and money.
The quilts they make are like unbelievable and I felt so out of place. I will never join again.
Keep up the good work and send me some pictures of your dolls I just love them
Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM

I made a friend on this board and she and I are going to meet at a guild meeting tonight. I have never been to one before. I probably wouldn't go at all if I had to go alone. I will let you know how it goes. I would give the guild one more chance then find another group.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Go Back!!!ask questions about the "Bees". These are sub groups in a quild who do special types of quilting. These gals will be more accomodating. Most quilds have a 3 times limit before joining. If the guild has a service Bee that does quilts for charity work, women's shelters, or nursing homes they always want new people and they are very easy to get to know. They take beginners all the time and it gives them an opportunity to learn without competeing with the "professional" quilters. I sew with my service bee and I sew with a group from another guild in their bee. It has been great. All you have to do is volunteer for one thing and you will be "best" friends with everyone.