Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
westalee templates? >

westalee templates?

westalee templates?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 PM

I have a Bernina 710, bought the adaptor foot and the ruler foot and several of their rulers...very happy with the product... jut wish I had more time to really practice regularly. I bought the Westalee ruler foot because they are Australian (like me) and I wanted to support good "local" business. I have had several "newby" questions about their rulers and have emailed them several times. Each and every time they have responded to me incredibly promptly and have been very helpful answering my questions fully. I am delighted with my purchase and anticipate having a lot more fun with it in the future. I would jump sky high if I had the opportunity to attend a class.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Go to the class. I did. You won't be sorry just anxious to try them. They are amazing.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
My LQS has free classes. The templates are costly as has been said. after a little practice you will get good results. Make sure you know which foot to buy, for high or low shank. If you have a Bernina you will need to buy their adapter.
Bernina has their own foot to use with the Westalee Rulers. First I bought the foot with the adapter then the new foot came out and I traded. Like the Bernina foot much better. I need to practice with the rulers!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM

well, just got off with the place holding the class. in addition to the 69- class fee there was the need for a 12x12 extension table for the machine, the ruler foot, the rulers, ect....all at a grand total of about 300-. then, 40 people in the class....

so, i'm passing. will look into the rulers, because they look neat as heck, but unwilling to lay out all of that cash for something I may not use?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM

I have the Westalee Ruler foot with 9 different templates, and have had a lot of fun with them. I made a sampler to help sell them at the store where I work, and have been teaching classes with them. Here's a picture of my sampler. I hope the stitching will show up OK.

Also wanted to add that when you buy the Westalee templates from your LQS, the retail on them is $75 for the foot with 2 templates, and $75 for the starter set that has 6 templates. Plus there are 2 catalogs full of different templates you can buy separately.
Attached Thumbnails westalee-sampler-1900.jpg  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
well, just got off with the place holding the class. in addition to the 69- class fee there was the need for a 12x12 extension table for the machine, the ruler foot, the rulers, ect....all at a grand total of about 300-. then, 40 people in the class....

so, i'm passing. will look into the rulers, because they look neat as heck, but unwilling to lay out all of that cash for something I may not use?
Thanks for doing the legwork on this one! As a hand quilter normally, I certainly don't have the extension table and not sure if it's something I would actually use. Lots of $$ for curiosity. Sigh. Perhaps my LQS will do something with these in the near future.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM

Look online Westalee has several tutorials. The information there is so much better than what comes with the templates. There are a couple other teachers withe tutorials too.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:11 AM

It can't hurt to go check it out...I have rulers for my Janome and, although I need to practice more, they are fun to use.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Thanks for doing the legwork on this one! As a hand quilter normally, I certainly don't have the extension table and not sure if it's something I would actually use. Lots of $$ for curiosity. Sigh. Perhaps my LQS will do something with these in the near future.
if they do, please let me know. i am curious, just not curious enough to dump a ton of money <g>
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 AM

I'm attending a class for Westalee rulers on Saturday in Ithaca, NY (Quilters Corner), because I want to be sure that I'm installing the foot correctly and that I use the correct settings for my machine. It will also be good to get helpful hints if I start making mistakes. I've watched demonstrations at this store for a few minutes at a time, while I've been shopping there, and I've spent about 2 hours watching Westalee videos. I'm very confident, although I'm awful at FMQ, that I can master this tool. Twoxover, I'm not sure from your description if you'd be watching a demonstration or actually using the tools (foot and ruler). If it's "just" a demonstration by an expert, find out if they will allow you to try using the tools during the demonstration. If the answer is yes, then I'd watch a couple of the UTube deomonstrations before you go, so that you can get a feel for all the wonderful things that these rulers can help you do (for inspiration). My quilt shop has a set of the rulers on sale every month or two at a discount, but the foot and rulers are expensive, as several have pointed out. My next-door neighbor and I are planning on sharing the feet now that we're taking a class. Lastly, there is an excellent, though lengthy, Craftsy course which tells you "everything" you need to know, starting from selecting the correct foot, to installing it, etc. I've watched and taken notes from the first three lessons, which has given me the inspiration to take the class this weekend. Good luck - and I hope that you and NJ Quilter and I can let the group know how we did at our respective classes/introductions.