Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the appeal of the automatic cutter? >

What is the appeal of the automatic cutter?

What is the appeal of the automatic cutter?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have the Brother 1500 and the thread would pull out of the needle when using the thread cutter. The dealer kept saying buy a new thread cutter. Why it was brand new! A poster here told me to by pass the three hole bar or use only the first hole and have the thread go down the hole not come up underneath the hole like the picture shows. The bar is used to add more tension to thread. My needle doesn't come unthreaded anymore.
I have a Brother Quattro and use the thread cutter all the time. On occasion my needle unthreads but not all the time.
Could you explain what you mean by bypassing the three hole bar and use the first one? I can't figure out what you are referring to.
TIA,
Jane
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 AM

I"ve wondered the same thing. I have a Quilter's Edition BabyLock. It's probably 7 or 8 years old. I was looking forward to the auto cutter but after using it a few times it seems to make my thread so short that when I begin stitching again my needle becomes unthreaded. I've seen on TV where numerous ones are using BabyLock machines and never notice their thread end being cut too short. I just said it was probably the magic of TV or it was because they were all using higher ended machine.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Default What is the appeal of the automatic cutter?

I've only had a cutter since getting my Horizon a couple of years ago. I didn't think I needed it, but now I use it all the time when piecing. It saves a ton of thread, not to mention the extra motions of picking up scissors and clipping thread ends. On my machine, there's enough of the top thread left that I can hold onto it for the first couple of stitches. (There's no need to hold the bobbin thread--it's the top thread end that can cause nests.)

Have used knee lifts for 20 years and would hate to be without one, especially when doing applique.

Daffy
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM

I start with a small piece of fabric called a leader, I sew a few stitches then start my piecing.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I have a Brother Quattro and use the thread cutter all the time. On occasion my needle unthreads but not all the time.
Could you explain what you mean by bypassing the three hole bar and use the first one? I can't figure out what you are referring to.
TIA,
Jane
On the 1500s Brother, there is a little metal "bar" in the path of where you thread the machine, located at the top front of the machine, there are three holes located in a row on the bar, you can run your thread through as many holes and around the side of the bar as you need to help adjust the tension. I have tried the thread cutter and quite often it causes the bobbin thread to disappear down in the machine and I have to fuss with pulling it out again.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM

My Babylock Espire makes nests on the backside of the fabric and once every blue moon the needle will come unthreaded. The nests have always bother me so I usually use a leader to start off. However, I love the thread cutter and wouldn't give it up.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Have the 1500 and use the thread cutter all the time, LOVE it. Oh yes I use it to cut the threads on FMQ too, because I back stitch 1 or 2 stitches at the end of a run, or stitch in place the last one or two stitches, with my FMQ which is quite dense it is not a problem.
Pat
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I have a Juki and the thread cutter is great. I notice when the quilt top is finished there are no loose threads left in the seams. Some quilts I get from customers almost need a hair cut before I quilt them.
I have a Janome 7700 with the thread cutter and that is one of my favorite features when piecing - no endless supply of loose threads when the top is done. As someone else mentioned, I don't use it for FMQ because I want longer threads that I can bury.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM

I have a Brother, can't remember the model number and I didn't use it at first but WOW, when i'm string piecing, it's the BOMB. I probably save as much thread as I use piecing. Not to mention having to pick up my snips and trim thread each time I sew a strip. Depending on the size of my blocks, I usually have 5-6 strips on each and that's a lot of snipping & thread waste. I also love the needle down button and the fact you can use it without a foot pedal - just use the start stop button and the setting from very slow to fast.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM

You can or you can have your dealer adjust the length often tread that is left when it is cut.