Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What backing would you recommend? >

What backing would you recommend?

What backing would you recommend?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 PM

Can you find a flannel with a baseball theme print? I also urge pre-washing and hot drying.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 PM

I have made a couple of quilts with minkee backing and I honestly didn't find it any more difficult than flannel. I didn't use batting with the minkee, but I did with the flannel, so quilt thickness was about the same. I did use a hand vacuum to go over the edges of the minkee as soon as I cut it to keep the fuzzies under control. Love your quilt and your grandson will be thrilled!
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Super cute quilt top! I would pick a busy print for the back if you plan to quilt it yourself. Busy prints hide any little bobbles in the quilting. The other thing you want to consider is what color thread you or your LA-er will use to quilt it so that it coordinates with the thread (although that isn't quite as important with playful children's quilts). Personally, I think quilters' cotton is plenty soft once it's washed a few times & it's easier to quilt than flannel, but I've done both. One other thing that affects how cuddly a quilt is is the batting. For kids' quilts I only use cotton, but I switched to a high loft cotton (Warm & Plush) to make it snugglier. If you do go with flannel, wash/dry it the way it will be laundered when completed and also to really make sure to baste it well so it doesn't shift while quilting.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 AM

Great job. He is going to love it. I agree that flannel would definitely work but be sure to pre wash as it shrinks more than cotton. Also please buy a high quality flannel. They are not all the same
Old 11-29-2015, 05:17 AM

https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults...3-26a376046a5e

Just "googled" baseball theme fabric and found a BUNCH!
What a fun quilt you're making.

I agree with the others, be sure and wash your flannel first and dry in a hot dryer.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
Flannel would be fine just be sure to wash and dry it because some of it shrinks a lot. Your layout is wonderful, looks great!
I agree with the choice of flannel, to wash and dry before using. There is NOTHING to forgive, your layout looks perfect.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Looking good! I'd vote for flannel. But do wash and dry it before using it......
Old 11-29-2015, 06:58 AM

Flannel in NY Yankee stripes!

Since nobody has recommended that you wash and dry it before using, I will mention that here.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 AM

Your quilt is lovely and you did a fantastic job. I think flannel would be a great backing and I bet you could find flannel with a baseball theme. That would be so nice and soft for him. Lucky grandson! Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Moda makes a product called Fireside, which is what one fabric store referred to as "adult minkee" as it does not have the shine that a minkee has.
I have a couple of friends who use it on all of their quilts although they both have longarms, and they love it.
It only comes in solids and it is a polyester and is warm and toasty.