Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What backing would you recommend?

What backing would you recommend?

This is a baseball themed quilt I am doing for my grandson. What are your suggestions for the backing fabric? He want's something soft. Flannel?

Forgive me if I put the fabric designs together poorly. I am still a beginner. :-)

Name:  JJ's quilt.png
Views: 428
Size:  339.4 KB

Nice quilt. Flannel is always a good choice for something warm and soft.

Flannel would be fine just be sure to wash and dry it because some of it shrinks a lot. Your layout is wonderful, looks great!

Looks great! Flannel is always nice.

Regular cotton or flannel. Would be nice if you found a coordinating baseball theme print, bit if not a stripe backing would be great on that quilt.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I'm sure you could easily find flannel that has a baseball theme if that is what you wanted to use.

Flannel would be great. If you can't find some themed flannel you could go with the navy blue or deep red

My grandkids love the minkee-backed quilts I gave them last year for Christmas (even the 16 year old!!) I hear that minkee is not the easiest to quilt, so I did have my LA er quilt them. They all 3 turned out great. Love your baseball quilt!

Linda in Missouri

What a great looking quilt. I agree with a flannel backing but wash before cutting it. Flannel does shrink a lot more than quilting cotton. Your grandson is going to love that quilt.

Great quilt! I like the flannel idea for the back, just be sure to prewash the flannel like others have said.

Can you find a flannel with a baseball theme print? I also urge pre-washing and hot drying.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I have made a couple of quilts with minkee backing and I honestly didn't find it any more difficult than flannel. I didn't use batting with the minkee, but I did with the flannel, so quilt thickness was about the same. I did use a hand vacuum to go over the edges of the minkee as soon as I cut it to keep the fuzzies under control. Love your quilt and your grandson will be thrilled!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Super cute quilt top! I would pick a busy print for the back if you plan to quilt it yourself. Busy prints hide any little bobbles in the quilting. The other thing you want to consider is what color thread you or your LA-er will use to quilt it so that it coordinates with the thread (although that isn't quite as important with playful children's quilts). Personally, I think quilters' cotton is plenty soft once it's washed a few times & it's easier to quilt than flannel, but I've done both. One other thing that affects how cuddly a quilt is is the batting. For kids' quilts I only use cotton, but I switched to a high loft cotton (Warm & Plush) to make it snugglier. If you do go with flannel, wash/dry it the way it will be laundered when completed and also to really make sure to baste it well so it doesn't shift while quilting.

Great job. He is going to love it. I agree that flannel would definitely work but be sure to pre wash as it shrinks more than cotton. Also please buy a high quality flannel. They are not all the same

https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults...3-26a376046a5e

Just "googled" baseball theme fabric and found a BUNCH!
    What a fun quilt you're making.

I agree with the others, be sure and wash your flannel first and dry in a hot dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    Flannel would be fine just be sure to wash and dry it because some of it shrinks a lot. Your layout is wonderful, looks great!
    I agree with the choice of flannel, to wash and dry before using. There is NOTHING to forgive, your layout looks perfect.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Looking good! I'd vote for flannel. But do wash and dry it before using it......
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Flannel in NY Yankee stripes!

Since nobody has recommended that you wash and dry it before using, I will mention that here.

Your quilt is lovely and you did a fantastic job. I think flannel would be a great backing and I bet you could find flannel with a baseball theme. That would be so nice and soft for him. Lucky grandson! Good luck on your decision.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Moda makes a product called Fireside, which is what one fabric store referred to as "adult minkee" as it does not have the shine that a minkee has.
    I have a couple of friends who use it on all of their quilts although they both have longarms, and they love it.
    It only comes in solids and it is a polyester and is warm and toasty.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

very nice! I like the idea of baseball themed flannel; this is a good time to shop for a child's flannelette flat sheet to use as backing; Remember to wash dry a couple of times before using. Good luck. Your grandson is going to love it!

What a lovely quilt- I agree that a soft backing would be nice.
    Liz Fairlie

if you are comfortable i say go for the soft and comfy type farbics. I have made a few and am getting ready to quilt one.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I have used flannel backing and minkee batting. I like them both. I must say the grandkids love the minkee. I always use Quilters Dream cotton batting and I do FMQ on my home sewing machine. I'm glad I started using the minkee before I read about how hard it is to quilt. Sometimes it is better not to know and just jump in

I agree with the flannel. I use it often. Nice job!!!