Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest joining the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com . It is a very active list of longarmers with different setups, and their file section is full of information and some comparisons.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Google Goddess

good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

I just bought a brand new Gammill Optimum in January and I love it. I didn't buy the Statler Stitchery which is their computerize program for Gammill, but I hope to eventually. One step at a time. I have seen their Statler Stitchery in progress and it is totally amazing what it can do for you and for the quilt. Gammill does have used ones for sale as well as brand new ones. But there are enough people out there who are always trading up and you could probably even get the computerized option that way too. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would suggest joining the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com . It is a very active list of longarmers with different setups, and their file section is full of information and some comparisons.
Thats one thing I will not do is the yahoo groups. nothing but bad experiences there. Shame there is not like a Consumer Reports for sewing machines or long Arms

Billy
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM

i also bought the tin lizzie 18 ls, it has the lizzie stitch and the manual stitch, i don't have the computerized stitcher called the shirley stitcher, it costs quite a bit. i do some for other people to make a few extra bucks, do all my own and my quilting friend Sharon does all hers on mine, she's the one who helps me with mine. i bought couple chairs on rollers from samsclub.com, they go up high enough that i can quilt sitting down, so i like that. the tin lizzie is affordable and there's a dealer in my town that sells and services them, i think that's important - service after the sale.
donna
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I just bought a brand new Gammill Optimum in January and I love it. I didn't buy the Statler Stitchery which is their computerize program for Gammill, but I hope to eventually. One step at a time. I have seen their Statler Stitchery in progress and it is totally amazing what it can do for you and for the quilt. Gammill does have used ones for sale as well as brand new ones. But there are enough people out there who are always trading up and you could probably even get the computerized option that way too. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.
I also have the Optimum. It is amazing all the things it can do if I want to fool with it lol. I just do what makes me happy and that is free hand using the regulated stitch. The Statler is fine for those who want to pay extra for all that. I only charge one penny a square inch and a 3.00 service charge. It makes it very affordable for the ladies.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Prism99
Thats one thing I will not do is the yahoo groups. nothing but bad experiences there. Shame there is not like a Consumer Reports for sewing machines or long Arms

Billy
Billy, you are getting your consumer report right here lol, just hang in there....
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 AM

First you need to have a price you are willing to pay. That will narrow down your choices especially if you want the computerized robotics. Unless, of course, you're sitting on a gold mine--then just waltz on over to Gammill or APQS and tell them you want one with everything to go--LOL!

Make a list and put price at the top. Then decide which features you must have and which you would like to have. Then go try as many as you can get your hands on.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Wow! All of my experiences there have been good. All of the groups I belong to have great moderators, though. Have not had any problems at all with the homequiltingsystems group.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Billy, you are getting your consumer report right here lol, just hang in there....
Thats why I was asking you guys, after all with all the members here on the board you are closer to the experts than the advertisements you see in the magazines!!!

Billy