Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best marking tool? >

What is the best marking tool?

What is the best marking tool?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

I forgot about using washable markers, tomorrow to the store. I think I will try crayola first. Will test it first. The advice about everything the same is true. Cannot for the life me figure out why, cotton is cotton. It may have something to do with the dying or sizing, but that is a good guideline.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I use the cheap washable markerrs at the dollar store. One in every color, always washes out, never a problem. You get eight pens for a buck.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM

I was wondering the same thing.....I've used the blue washout pens, too, and I didn't think they had much ink in them. I'll get some washable Crayon markers. Thanks for the idea, ladies.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Not sure if you're hand or machine quilting. I'm a hand quilter and use a #2 mechanical pencil for light fabrics and a Bohin mechanical pencil with white 'lead' for dark fabrics. I generally mark as I go. Have only ever had a problem once with the lead pencil not washing out completely. I've also used the (I think) Clover chalk mechanical pencils in all kinds of colors. Never had an issue with any of them not washing out either.
NJQuilter .. I just bought the Clover chalk mechanicals, though haven;t done much testing yet. Do you find the chalk pretty much brushes off, so you don't need to wash? I'm not familiar with the Bohin pencils you mentionedand the white leads .... could you please tell me more? and do these brush off? or need to be washed out? THANK YOU!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Mechanical pencil with chalk refills. I donot know what brand it is but I am sure there are more than one. I got minefrom secret Santa this year and I love it!!! I like really fine markings whenquilting, even when using stencils. I am not too crazy about pounce chalkbecause it releases too much chalk for my taste. I also like air erasable pens,although they sometimes disappear too fast
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

I use different markers depending on the fabric, especially the color of the fabric. I use the following:
The ceramic lead mechanical pencils from: Bohin, Fons and Porter, Sewline, Collins - The all come from the same factory. Then the Multi-Pastel Chalk pencils made by Geneal Pencil Co. Available in LQS (some) or at an art supply store. They may also be available from places such as JoAnn, Michael (in art supply section) These are chalk and clay and are erasable and washable. Then the pounce type but not the regular pounce but the Marical Chalk that comes off with steam. However, I have found that most of it is off by the time I finish quilting and then a brushing does the rest. I first will rub all the residue with piece of batting, a micro-fiber cloth or the lint brush you get in pet supply sections. It is a black oval plastic type brush. I brush it gently. It appears to act as both an eraser and brush.
In Multi-Pastel I ony use white, light grey and dark gray (has no color in the lead) I also use the black graphite Sketch-n-Wash from General. It looks deadley but also brushes off and will wash out.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Holice ... what are the features of the Ceramic leads? Do they brush off? require washing? Are they in white or just the traditional black/grey of regular leads? Stay better while quilting than the chalk? Why use one or the other? And preference of one type to the other on the dark fabrics? THANKS!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM

I use frixion pens and have no problems with them. The disappearing ink does wash out. I have no idea where I would have a quilt that would get so cold as for the marks to come back! I also use washable markers with great success. I had used a blue marker on a quilt, then ironed the seams (with steam), and the marks completely washed out! Those are the only types of marking utensils I use. But....please check your fabrics and test before using anything....there will always be one difficult fabric that won't allow it all to come out
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I use different markers depending on the fabric, especially the color of the fabric. I use the following:
The ceramic lead mechanical pencils from: Bohin, Fons and Porter, Sewline, Collins - The all come from the same factory. Then the Multi-Pastel Chalk pencils made by Geneal Pencil Co. Available in LQS (some) or at an art supply store. They may also be available from places such as JoAnn, Michael (in art supply section) These are chalk and clay and are erasable and washable. Then the pounce type but not the regular pounce but the Marical Chalk that comes off with steam. However, I have found that most of it is off by the time I finish quilting and then a brushing does the rest. I first will rub all the residue with piece of batting, a micro-fiber cloth or the lint brush you get in pet supply sections. It is a black oval plastic type brush. I brush it gently. It appears to act as both an eraser and brush.
In Multi-Pastel I ony use white, light grey and dark gray (has no color in the lead) I also use the black graphite Sketch-n-Wash from General. It looks deadley but also brushes off and will wash out.
Thank you, Holice, this is a really comprehensive summary of what to use.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Crayola washable markers,Frixion pens, and Chalk pencils. I have not had a problem. Just be sure you test, test. test.