Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a bother....washing fabrics >

What a bother....washing fabrics

What a bother....washing fabrics

Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Okay, I must be an odd duck but I actually enjoy ironing my fabrics!!! I have to prewash my fabrics due to skin allergies so maybe I am just used to it!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
It does seem like such a big pain, I agree totally! I NEVER used to pre-wash my fabrics, until I was tested for chemical allergens and the ONE thing they found that I am highly allergic to is the formaldehyde found in the processing of fabric! What a pain!

The whole experience starts when I go shopping for fabric. About 15 minutes in the LQS sets me into a sore throat and itchy hands....and that is if I barely fondle the fabrics! When I find fabric, I have to put it on the cutting table and leave it there so that I don't have to carry it around. About 30 minutes into the shopping "experience" the inside of my hands are scratched from my fingernails and I have almost no voice left! Quite a sight to see actually!!!

When I get the little pretties all home, then I trim the corners back to help with the fraying and wash them with warm water and "free" detergent and a smidgen of "free" softner, and an extra rinse. Then, the second washing is with no soaps or softners. They get to be in the dryer or on the line for a short time, long enough to be almost dry. Then, ruler folded and put away.

When it comes time to use the fabric, then I press it and cut away! But, while cutting and sewing it together, I still suffer the itchy hands, but a lot less than I would without washing them!

I never suffered with any of this in the first 6 years of quilting until I was diagnosed. I don;t suffer too much at home in the sewing room unless I am handling the fabrics. I have well over 2,000 yards in my sewing room and don't suffer like in a QS. The reason is that when I found out, I had to wash all the fabric I owned at the time (just under 800 yards). After putting it back into my room and washing all fabric before it gets into the sewing room, it has removed most of the chemicals. When I enter an LQS, I am surrounded by unwashed fabrics, so my body reacts.

Now, since I have started prewashing, my quilts don't suffer as much shrinkage!
Thank god I don't have the respiratory allergies, just the skin. I too scratch at my hands all the way through a fabric store and have a cream that I have to apply immediately after leaving. Sometimes, I have to apply it while I am still shopping. Such a pity, I love to pet fabrics!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM

I wash all my fabrics but gave up on the ironing part a few months ago. Now I take out of dryer immediately, fold to fit my bins, and don't iron until ready to use fabric.
However, that said, I find it realxing to iron.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Nata...welcome to the Sisterhood of the Itchies and the Sneezies! I have contact dermaticis (sp) and wear exam gloves when I go into ANY fab store. Have two med that I use and have HUGE tub of utter balm for moistuizing. Not the bag balm sold in stores. It's a pain to wash but have to and need to wear exam glove when I sew. Refuse to give up this hobby tho...way too much fun seeing the finished project(s)!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Margot, Welcome to the board from PA to Brazil!

I enjoy the washing , folding and ironin. Handling the fabric and seeing the patterns , texture and color is wonderful. I do it as much as I can.
peace
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 AM

I DON'T, pre-wash fabrics that is, I buy the best fabrics I can, mainly from http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm at great prices, I know they won't run and if they shrink, which I have not found even with flannel, it will just give an antique look :twisted:
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Okay, I must be an odd duck but I actually enjoy ironing my fabrics!!! I have to prewash my fabrics due to skin allergies so maybe I am just used to it!
I enjoy it too! I bought it because I liked it so I like looking at it while I iron it too. Well, as long as it's under 5 yards~ over 5 yards to wash is just a pain! I made 2 of those huge ironing boards & set them up end to end and that really makes ironing my backings extra easy.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Have you ladies with the allergies thought of wearing thin gloves... maybe a pair similar to the gardening ones so many of us wear????? If you MUST feel it (and most of us want to) then only feel the ones you finally decide to take.

As to washing before putting away... It avoids problems with shrinking and with bleeding colors.... BUT DON'T LET IT DRY ALL THE WAY. Every time I lose track of what I'm doing and let fabric overdry I spray it with water and put it back in on the lowest setting. Then I drap it over a rack (folded if necessary) and put it away. NEVER need to iron it.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Have you ladies with the allergies thought of wearing thin gloves... maybe a pair similar to the gardening ones so many of us wear????? If you want to feel the fabric (and don't most of us) then you can "expose" your hands for that brief moment.

As to washing before putting away... It avoids problems with shrinking and with bleeding colors.... BUT DON'T LET IT DRY ALL THE WAY. Every time I lose track of what I'm doing and let fabric over dry I spray it with water and put it back in on the lowest setting. Then I drap it over a rack (folded if necessary) and put it away. NEVER need to iron it.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Not prewashing them is the solution. I don't and all comes out fine.