Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a bother....washing fabrics >

What a bother....washing fabrics

What a bother....washing fabrics

Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM

I'm washing fabric today myself. One load of darks and one load of lights. I just fold it from the dryer and put it away. I iron and starch when I am ready to cut it. Since I usually cut one fabric at a time, I only have to iron one at a time so it is not such a chore.

Some of us HAVE to prewash. We don't have a choice. Even the best fabrics are treated with formaldehyde and other chemicals. It has been outlawed in the manufacture of carpet because of fumes. It should be outlawed in fabric, too.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Ditto

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't pre-wash. If there's a color I suspect might bleed, I test a small piece in a glass of water to see if dye runs, then rub the damp fabric against white fabric to see if dye transfers. Saves me a lot of time!

Regarding shrinkage, it's true that fabrics can shrink a lot when washed. However, after a fabric is quilted closely in a quilt sandwich, it is the batting that controls shrinkage. Meaning, if a fabric would shrink 8% if washed by itself but batting shrinks 3%, the fabric will also shrink only 3%. Fabric shrinkage *is* a problem for quilts that are tied or quilted with lines far apart, as the batting will then not control the fabric.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
Nata...welcome to the Sisterhood of the Itchies and the Sneezies! I have contact dermaticis (sp) and wear exam gloves when I go into ANY fab store. Have two med that I use and have HUGE tub of utter balm for moistuizing. Not the bag balm sold in stores. It's a pain to wash but have to and need to wear exam glove when I sew. Refuse to give up this hobby tho...way too much fun seeing the finished project(s)!
Hi Jullie! I remember responding to your post about allergies when you were trying to figure our what was going on. That was just awhile after they figured mine out! I have tried the gloves, but petting just doesn't feel the same! I will jsut suffer through it! Where are you at in NM? I used to live in Farmington, Albuquerque, KAFB, and Alamogordo!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Okay, I must be an odd duck but I actually enjoy ironing my fabrics!!! I have to prewash my fabrics due to skin allergies so maybe I am just used to it!
I love the laundering process, too. I really love handling fabric! :D
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM

I normally don't prewash unless it's a red, dark blue, or batiks. I always wash the entire quilt when binding is done and love the crinkly look. But for this one I don't want the crinkle and am doing my best to eliminate any shrink.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I don't press them till I am ready to use. Folding them usually takes care of the majority of wrinkles.
Same here. And then I only press the part that I'm cutting from, not the whole thing.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Margot, Welcome to the board from PA to Brazil!

I enjoy the washing , folding and ironin. Handling the fabric and seeing the patterns , texture and color is wonderful. I do it as much as I can.
peace
Thank you, I love it.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
It does seem like such a big pain, I agree totally! I NEVER used to pre-wash my fabrics, until I was tested for chemical allergens and the ONE thing they found that I am highly allergic to is the formaldehyde found in the processing of fabric! What a pain!

The whole experience starts when I go shopping for fabric. About 15 minutes in the LQS sets me into a sore throat and itchy hands....and that is if I barely fondle the fabrics! When I find fabric, I have to put it on the cutting table and leave it there so that I don't have to carry it around. About 30 minutes into the shopping "experience" the inside of my hands are scratched from my fingernails and I have almost no voice left! Quite a sight to see actually!!!

When I get the little pretties all home, then I trim the corners back to help with the fraying and wash them with warm water and "free" detergent and a smidgen of "free" softner, and an extra rinse. Then, the second washing is with no soaps or softners. They get to be in the dryer or on the line for a short time, long enough to be almost dry. Then, ruler folded and put away.

When it comes time to use the fabric, then I press it and cut away! But, while cutting and sewing it together, I still suffer the itchy hands, but a lot less than I would without washing them!

I never suffered with any of this in the first 6 years of quilting until I was diagnosed. I don;t suffer too much at home in the sewing room unless I am handling the fabrics. I have well over 2,000 yards in my sewing room and don't suffer like in a QS. The reason is that when I found out, I had to wash all the fabric I owned at the time (just under 800 yards). After putting it back into my room and washing all fabric before it gets into the sewing room, it has removed most of the chemicals. When I enter an LQS, I am surrounded by unwashed fabrics, so my body reacts.

Now, since I have started prewashing, my quilts don't suffer as much shrinkage!
I have allergies too. My biggest problem is in Home Dec stores and the Home Dec fabric dept. Funny thing about that formaldyhide business is that it was determined to be a carcinogen 20 years ago and they were supposed to discontinue use of it. This was told to me by the manager of a home dec fabric store. I get the scratchy throat and feel like my throat is closing up. I am not bothered so much by quilting fabric. I always wash my flannels first but not usually quilting fabric till I have finished the quilt. I like the crinkly look.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 AM

I would prefer to wash/press my fabrics before needing them. Then when you start your project the fabrics are ready for cutting. Look at the bright side you get to play with your fabric.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 AM

I just finished washing and ironing a bunch of fabric last night. I can't work with it if not washed. Even after washing I still wheeze a bit while ironing it.