Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can a 6 yr old sew??? >

What can a 6 yr old sew???

What can a 6 yr old sew???

Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Wow these kids did great! I'm trying to remember what my first project was because I started sewing about that time with my Grandmother. I think it was strips because she said I had to learn the "feel" of the machine.

If you make a couple of squares you might try putting 2 sides together, hand baste it with long stitches then say this is where you sew with your machine. Tell her or write " Just stitch with your machine over my stitches". You could do that with several of the blocks till she gets the hang of it.

Probaby speed (was with my daughter) from pushing the floor pedal too hard could be an issue.You might try sending her long strips first, then squares. Just so she can get the feel of the sewing machine and see her progress.

If it were me I'd send her little things to practice on every week before sending a complete kit. Kinda like a correspondence class. I bet she loves to get mail. Who knows maybe your daughter will even get interested??? Good luck!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Maybe let her practice sewing without thread, on coloring book pages? Just to get more used to the feel and handling of the machine.

Patterns that don't have matching seams are also nice, less for them to do and have a nice looking project. Especially since you are not there to help her with the pinning.

You can sew blocks together into a strip, then add a 1/2 block to the beginning of one end, then the end of the next strip, keep alternating in this fashion. This way the squares are off set, and she won't have to match the intersections. You can do the same kind of offset with many other blocks too.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Anything simple. Potholders, aprons, decorations . . . . .
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM

my dd started sewing scraps into pillows when she was 4 1/2, then stuffed them with more scraps. What I've found with her is it's easiest for her to sew short seams - she started sewing a quilt with big framed cattywompus squares earlier this year (at 6) my though process being the big squares would be easier for her to handle, but it's put away and she made a 4 patch posy with smaller squares and much less frustration until it came time to sew the rows together (long seams again). As for the machine... be expecting some calls for help -- dd got a childs machine for christmas a couple years ago-- I could not get it to work right
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

I also made my Granddaughter a little sewing kit, Found kids Fiskers scissors at dollar tree a small ruler, some pins extra needles and bobbins already wound, a small pin cushion and a 5 inch square of Plexiglas for making squares but I had already precut them for her.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM

When my DD got a sewing machine, I bought a toy one, it was a Singer. It was so hard to use. I had to help her with every step. She liked to sew with felt, she made clothes for her beenie babies. Pillows were a big hit.
I would make up a kit for her, so she doesn't lose interest.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:32 PM

The panels that you cut out and make a doll or stuffed animal with the stitch lines have always been nice and good practice for staying in the lines. Of course, there is always the aprons that we started on in Home Ec that had the band that you slid into a pocket instead of the ties...
Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM

My two granddaughters have sewn with me since they were 3. I am teaching a class to the youngests kindergardten class and they are all going to make scarfs out of minkie or fleece. Cut 2 pieces 9" wide and the width of the fabric about 60'' Sew both side seams in to a tube and then turn. Trim the bottom of both ends in to strips about 1/2" wide and tie them to finish off. I hadd my granddaughter try it our before I go to the school and she did it just fine.

Good Luck. Remember, you are getting a new generation in to the sewing/quilting hobby.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 PM

I would send her a quilting book for beginners with a simple pattern marked that she should be able to do as her first project and the fabric needed to make it.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 PM

I found a book on quilting for children to practice and learn about machines; and sewing too. They practice sewing without a needle to start but can practice. Plain old squares, either 4 patch or like they have suggested about 5 or 6 in squares.