Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can a 6 yr old sew??? >

What can a 6 yr old sew???

What can a 6 yr old sew???

Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 AM

Depends on maturity and ability of each individual. However, I have had seven year olds making totes and scarves to match. Doll's clothes and quilts are a good item. The boys quilted and made a duffle bag. I think a small qquilt would be OK as well. I was making them at seven years of age without my grandmother hovering over me. My mother didn't sew.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 AM

In her area, are there any 4H clubs? Sometimes there is a quilting group of kids.
Originally Posted by LastGrandma View Post
Wonderful suggestions....I am 2500 miles away and cannot do anything with her and her sewing machine. And DD is not handy with sewing stuff. When DGD visits here we usually spend a fair amount of time in my sewing room doing things (doll quilts, wall hangings, etc.), but I cannot give assistance with her sewing other than the type of project I send.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 AM

I too am in the same situation with a great niece. All of this advice was very much appreciated by me also. They are very good ideas. I especially like using charm packs.
When a child shows an interest in learning a craft you don't want to miss the opportunity to teach. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Yahoo has a feature of instant messaging that will allow you to have a video conference call with her. Mom would still have to be present, but you can do a lot of coaching via the video conference.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM

I have 2 brothers and a sister doing string blocks. I let them paw thru my strings and strips. The flip and sew method means that the seams are not as important as getting the feel for fabric and running the machine. They only get fabric when they can sew on lines on a piece of notebook paper. Those boys love to make that machine GO! lolol